Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Exhibit 1,000,001

Overdrive, approximately 5:05 on April 16, 2021.

Noodles: "Pionk's a good player. I personally would take Pionk over Trouba right now"
Hayesy B: "And they got a first didn't they?"
Noodles: "Yea...because I think Pionk is better suited for today's game. He's a better puck mover. He's not a big body but he's got some bite to him."

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
(I promise this wasn't planned)

Exhibit 1,000,002

Overdrive, approximately 5:08 on April 16, 2021

(Ray Ferraro has entered the chat)

Ray: "I didn't think they would get this type of play from their D. Neal Pionk is starting to get a lot of recognition for how good he is"

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
(I promise this wasn't planned)

Exhibit 1,000,002

Overdrive, approximately 5:08 on April 16, 2021

(Ray Ferraro has entered the chat)

Ray: "I didn't think they would get this type of play from their D. Neal Pionk is starting to get a lot of recognition for how good he is"
Miller would not be the player he is right now if pionk is his partner and not trouba. He would be expected to be the physical force of the pair and would mess with his development. I’m happy Pionk is doing well, but when the games get physical especially in the playoffs he folds like A cheap suit. It’s not his fault, he just doesn’t possess the size, mobility, and meanness Jake can bring. And Trouba himself has put up points before. He moves the puck well for a big man. Noodles and Ferraro can suck it

Last edited:
Reactions: kovazub94

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would argue that it was a little above market rate, but nothing egregious.

We agree that the contract wasn't a poor one at the time, anyway. Do we also agree that Trouba is not currently worth that contract though?
Because I believe that the contract was signed at market rate and because I believe that Trouba has very much been playing as a #2 defenseman, yes I believe that he is worth it. And it will be even moreso when they are in the playoffs.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Because I believe that the contract was signed at market rate and because I believe that Trouba has very much been playing as a #2 defenseman, yes I believe that he is worth it. And it will be even moreso when they are in the playoffs.

come a playoff series I rather have a physical Trouba over Pionk

Fox , Lundkvist can handle the offense Pionk gives on RD

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A lot of posters here absolutely hated Pionk and it’s kind of weird to see nice things said about him. Personally I liked Neal. I’m not surprised at all that he’s become an excellent defenseman for the Jets. With the Rangers he was put into situations that didn’t play to his strengths. A right side divided between Pionk, Shattenkirk and DeAngelo none of whom had real size or strength and two of whom #’s 22 & 77 were defensive adventures put Pionk in the unenviable position as a new player in the NHL and as the Rangers version of shutdown defenseman.

The Jets have put him in a more structured environment (meanwhile and ironically Trouba has helped very much to put structure to our own) and Pionk’s game has blossomed and he is not just a point producer for them. He is an all situation player who hits, block shots and plays with an edge. To me the deal has worked out for both teams.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Trouba is a very important player for the Rangers. He is a guy tasked with playing most often against other team’s best players. More fortunately for us Fox has quickly established himself as a very good defensive player—something that neither Shattenkirk or DeAngelo were ever able to do. Trouba does bring a size and strength component that is necessary for our defense though. You need stability on your D and Trouba provides that and it’s been key to K’Andre’s quick development to have Jacob as his partner.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Trouba is a very important player for the Rangers. He is a guy tasked with playing most often against other team’s best players. More fortunately for us Fox has quickly established himself as a very good defensive player—something that neither Shattenkirk or DeAngelo were ever able to do. Trouba does bring a size and strength component that is necessary for our defense though. You need stability on your D and Trouba provides that and it’s been key to K’Andre’s quick development to have Jacob as his partner.
Great post... Trouba may never be worth what he's paid... but he's ABSOLUTELY a steadying factor on the blue line.

As long as he keeps it simple he's fine.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I would argue that it was a little above market rate, but nothing egregious.

We agree that the contract wasn't a poor one at the time, anyway. Do we also agree that Trouba is not currently worth that contract though?

Because that's what it comes down to. It isn't Gorton's 'fault', but it is something that will affect the rest of his moves for quite some time. And as long as that bad contract affects the decisions we have to make on our kids as they come out of ELCs, then there is going to be an increasing amount of frustration about it.

It's really too bad. I like Trouba as a player and as a leader, but my goodness that contract is going to look terrible when we're trying to get Fox, Kakko, Lafreniere, Shesty, Kravtsov, etc., under the cap.

Trouba’s contract will become movable when these players will get their turns at being paid, and honestly you should disconnect his contract from those you mentioned (except maybe Fox - though he also plays a different style game), since it’s more about his position replacement in the lineup.
In meantime combine his and Miller’s salary and divide by two because whatever overpayment is built into Trouba’s cap hit, he “compensates” at least this much with the influence he’s had on Miller’s performance and development as a solid top-4

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Career playoff games
Kreider 80
Mika 31
Trouba 30
Panarin 30
Strome 18

He's tied for 3rd in career playoff games and 10 of Mika's is from 2012. We need his experience, can't just have all kids on defense.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Your right TB. Not only that TB, they bought out his entire 20’s. Those were some significant big UFA money years for him

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Trouba is overpaid by $2 million (and that matters!), but at least he's not an albatross. That's a great start compared to the usual UFA signings and the dark ages during $ather, where a majority of the UFA signings were pretty much immediately garbage.

Last edited:

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Trouba is overpaid by $2 million (and that matters!), but at least he's not an albatross. That's a great start compared to the usual UFA signings and the dark ages during $ather, where a majority of the UFA signings were pretty much immediately garbage.

FWIW as a Rangers fan living in Vancouver I'd say Trouba is easily worth 2mil more than Tyler Myers....but yes, Trouba is overpaid.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
FWIW as a Rangers fan living in Vancouver I'd say Trouba is easily worth 2mil more than Tyler Myers....but yes, Trouba is overpaid.
Well, as you said, Myers is himself overpaid by about $2 million, maybe even 3. But comparing the two, I would probably pick Trouba @8 if the choice was Myers @6 instead, since Trouba is easily a better D-man than Myers.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Being a top pair defenseman means a lot more than being the top point producer. Playing, you know defense, actually matters.

Yeah, but so does making plays with the puck consistenty, if you're a top pairing dman. Trouba handles it like a grenade and throws it into pressure too much which is why he gets running around a lot. But you're right about point production, that's irrelevant with him.

But the way he handles the puck is why he's not a top pairing defenseman (at least on a good team) and at least modestly overpaid.

It's not a problem right now but I think it will be in the future. His game and the way he plays strikes me as not aging very well.

Reactions: Off Sides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad