Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

He also tends to show up in our big games. Big Game Tuba? still may not be an $8M player, but he's a good and valuable player

I don’t think he was ever or ever will be an 8 mil a year player, but I think we all knew that, even the Rangers FO. This is basically his retirement contract. If he was being paid even 6.5 mil, it would be great.

However, he needs to keep playing like this more consistently for me to be OK with the 8 mil cap hit. At his best, he has well above average intelligence and physicality on defense, and his skating isn’t really a liability.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
If he was great at 6-6.5, he'd be fine at 8. He's not fine at 8. He's one of the worst contracts in the league at 8.

Check out the fly by he did against Bratt early in the last game. As Jack Armstrong would say, "get that garbage outta here".

Reactions: EdJovanovski

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think whats important about Trouba and his deal is that he still has the ability to drop a better offensive season over the next 2-3 years. I believe that.

But with Fox, Lundkvist and even Miller developing offensively you won't need it from him. He just needs to be a super solid, minute eater who plays against the others best with an edge - and also a team leader.

Obviously not all of what they signed him for but there will always be imperfect contracts on a team when you are building. To get these guys on the roster its impossible not to.

Is he worth 8? No. 7? Probably not. But I dont think theres a team out there that doesnt have a few "bad" ones. But he isnt like a Redden. He provides a lot and I think hell continue to be a consistent player for several seasons.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think whats important about Trouba and his deal is that he still has the ability to drop a better offensive season over the next 2-3 years. I believe that. But with Fox, Lundkvist and even Miller developing offensively you won't need it from him. He just needs to be a super solid, minute eater who plays against the others best with an edge - and also a team leader.

Obviously not all of what they signed him for but there will always be imperfect contracts on a team when you are building. To get these guys on the roster its impossible not to. Is he worth 8? No. 7? Probably not. But I dont think theres a team out there that doesnt have a few "bad" ones. But he isnt like a Redden. He provides a lot.
And by the time you need to pay the other guys who are taking (and running with!) the opportunities to score points, his contract will be eminently movable, if necessary.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Trouba is definitely more comfortable this season. Last year with Ruff leading the defense and being partnered with Skjei, he was definitely exposed. Smith was not the ideal partner either once Skjei was moved.

Now, with an actual defensive coach and some structure, he looks a lot better, all while being partnered with someone that we almost all expected would not be NHL ready in Miller. Missed time with a fractured finger, came back early from it, likely when it wasn't 100%, but he could go.

On top of that, he's definitely grown into a leadership role. Quinn's comments about how he led the room during intermissions last game was important. Quinn can't be the only one relaying the message (in spite of people complaining he wasn't in the room or saying Quinn is so useless that he didn't need to be there). Eventually as a team grows, the players have to run themselves to some degree. Trouba doing that is important for overall team growth. The younger guys see this and can draw from it in the future, when they will be in that kind of role.

Last season there was plenty to complain about. This season though, he's been as advertised and becoming part of the leadership group of the team.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Trouba is definitely more comfortable this season. Last year with Ruff leading the defense and being partnered with Skjei, he was definitely exposed. Smith was not the ideal partner either once Skjei was moved.

Now, with an actual defensive coach and some structure, he looks a lot better, all while being partnered with someone that we almost all expected would not be NHL ready in Miller. Missed time with a fractured finger, came back early from it, likely when it wasn't 100%, but he could go.

On top of that, he's definitely grown into a leadership role. Quinn's comments about how he led the room during intermissions last game was important. Quinn can't be the only one relaying the message (in spite of people complaining he wasn't in the room or saying Quinn is so useless that he didn't need to be there). Eventually as a team grows, the players have to run themselves to some degree. Trouba doing that is important for overall team growth. The younger guys see this and can draw from it in the future, when they will be in that kind of role.

Last season there was plenty to complain about. This season though, he's been as advertised and becoming part of the leadership group of the team.
According to reports, he was also one of, if not the, main actor in handling the ADA situation, as well.

And while I have no doubt some posters here will hold that against him, I'm sure it really raised him in the estimation of both management and his teammates.

Reactions: Riche16 and nyr2k2

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

And to your point he's had two different defensive coaches/systems and 3 different partners, and got a letter on his sweater in between.

You would think that next season, finally, there will be some sort of certainty of expectations for himself and from the team. That's why I think we haven't even seen the best of him as yet on the ice and he is also developed as a leader off of it as you have pointed out. There is value there.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Trouba's kinda of an enigma.

I know he was pretty good past couple games and I don't wanna be a negative nancy but still think he's a problem long term.

This is a player who was thought of as being or close to being a #1d/Cornerstone player for a pretty long time. That obviously is no longer the case. He's obviously solid, not some disaster or liability out there but he doesn't really come close to making enough plays on either side of the ice to justify what he's paid, for me.

He just kind of eats minutes, will get running around too much, and isn't going to make a play that can swing a game like Adam Fox and most other guys who get 8M plus do.

Obviously now with the emergence of Fox, I think the Rangers would take the mulligan on him if they could. I hope and want to be wrong and that this looks like a dumb post in a few years but I doubt it.

Def agree w the overall sentiment... but for his $ he brings what we lack for sure.

This is past few games mind you. If he keeps it up

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I just wish we wasn't so atrocious with the puck on his stick. Like every shot, every pass, every single thing he does with the puck is a liability. I do not understand it.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
I just wish we wasn't so atrocious with the puck on his stick. Like every shot, every pass, every single thing he does with the puck is a liability. I do not understand it.

$8,000,000 for a guy that can't play hockey with a hockey puck. Everything's fine here!

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They were really pushing Trouba as next captain on the pregame yesterday weren’t they?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
We all had a specific beast in mind with Trouba, if he creates that monster, the contract will be fine for that time being.

The pairing with KAM is growing. They had an edge last game, loved it. I surely hope it's not just the Debbies we're playing.

(#notmycaptianthough)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->