Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, but so does making plays with the puck consistenty, if you're a top pairing dman. Trouba handles it like a grenade and throws it into pressure too much which is why he gets running around a lot. But you're right about point production, that's irrelevant with him.

But the way he handles the puck is why he's not a top pairing defenseman (at least on a good team) and at least modestly overpaid.

It's not a problem right now but I think it will be in the future. His game and the way he plays strikes me as not aging very well.
When one thinks of a top pairing defenseman, the first thing that leaps to mind is does he go against the opposing top lines? Not what does he do with the puck. At least to me.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Trouba is becoming late-era Scott Stevens. Lost the scoring touch, but plays shutdown mins, crushes people in open ice, and is a leader in the locker room.
Not nearly as good at it as Stevens but I do agree with you about the style change. Years ago some people on this board wanted to give up half the team to get hime. I never understood why they were so incredibly high on his game but based on that I was shocked we got him so cheap in a trade. Sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad. Few players are perfect. Trouba may not be a #1 Dman as hoped but he is bringing much needed physicality to this team and could be well suited for that #2 role. His physicality is really important so I'm happy he is here.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Not nearly as good at it as Stevens but I do agree with you about the style change. Years ago some people on this board wanted to give up half the team to get hime. I never understood why they were so incredibly high on his game but based on that I was shocked we got him so cheap in a trade. Sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad. Few players are perfect. Trouba may not be a #1 Dman as hoped but he is bringing much needed physicality to this team and could be well suited for that #2 role. His physicality is really important so I'm happy he is here.

i wish we had more physicality and board play in the forward group. that part of the game on this team is lacking. watching Kreider considering his size at times not being good along the boards is an issue and getting the puck outside the defensive zone is an issue.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
i wish we had more physicality and board play in the forward group. that part of the game on this team is lacking. watching Kreider considering his size at times not being good along the boards is an issue and getting the puck outside the defensive zone is an issue.

I agree. They are not a small group but they play small at times.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Hope the "Trouba is the worst contract ever" narrative f***ing died tonight

Not one person said that he wasn't a key part of the team. A good chunk of us said that despite him being overpaid (not "the worst contract ever" lol), we wouldn't move him anytime soon, because of how important he is to the team.

It's these strawmen ad absurdum arguments that derail threads and ruin what could be constructive discussions.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Hope the "Trouba is the worst contract ever" narrative f***ing died tonight
Oh give me a break. When we lost Trouba due to the broken thumb our record went:

6-2-0 with a +13 goal differential.

Rangers 3 Flyers 2
Rangers 4 Capitals 1
Rangers 3 Flyers 4
Rangers 6
Bruins 2
Rangers 2 Bruins 4
Rangers 3
Sabres 2
Rangers 6 Devils 1
Rangers 6 Devils 3

As soon as Trouba came back we went:

0-3-0 with a -10 goal differential

Penguins 5 Rangers 1
Penguins 4 Rangers 2
Bruins 4 Rangers 0

And even aside from the Trouba haters like myself, many people express concerns about how that contract will look long term. Monster contracts like that should normally look good the first years of them, the thing is; it’s regarded as one of the worst in the league the very first season he played here. What’s it going to look like near the end of the deal? Especially with all the young dmen we have coming up, and having to re-sign the likes of Buch, Laf, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, Shesty?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Oh give me a break. When we lost Trouba due to the broken thumb our record went:

Rangers 3 Flyers 2
Rangers 4 Capitals 1
Rangers 3 Flyers 4
Rangers 6
Bruins 2
Rangers 2 Bruins 4
Rangers 3
Sabres 2
Rangers 6 Devils 1
Rangers 6 Devils 3

Penguins 5 Rangers 1
Penguins 4 Rangers 2
Bruins 4 Rangers 0

And even aside from the Trouba haters like myself, many people express concerns about how that contract will look long term. Monster contracts like that should normally look good the first years of them, the thing is; it’s regarded as one of the worst in the league the very first season he played here. What’s it going to look like near the end of the deal? Especially with all the young dmen we have coming up, and having to re-sign the likes of Buch, Laf, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, Shesty?
I’m confused so you’re cherry picking stats?

A whopping 3 game sample that were all loses after he came back? Lol

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
trouba is overpaid, but he isn’t bad. maybe a new coach will give him more life offensively, as a new coach would for the rest of the team.

Reactions: CLW

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Rangers 3 Flyers 2
Rangers 4 Capitals 1
Rangers 3 Flyers 4
Rangers 6
Bruins 2
Rangers 2 Bruins 4
Rangers 3
Sabres 2
Rangers 6 Devils 1
Rangers 6 Devils 3

Penguins 5 Rangers 1
Penguins 4 Rangers 2
Bruins 4 Rangers 0
This post doesn’t deserve the attention but pointing out those were games were Georgiev and Kinkaid, followed by Kinkaid, followed by Georgiev, and we were not getting NHL level goaltending in any of those games.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He is very important to this team 100% agree. Still think 8 million is pretty pricey for what is essentially a #3 dman, especially with the flat cap.
It’s pricey but it certainly helps that the majority of the rest of the D will be on ELC/Bridge deals until the back end of the contact. It balances out. The Rangers have much bigger problems than Trouba

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Having Trouba and his money off the team and repurposed > having trouba in the lineup at 8 mil > having trouba in the lineup but unavailable to play and leaving us with rotating 5 dmen.

Good thing we got to the bottom of this one.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Rangers 3 Flyers 2
Rangers 4 Capitals 1
Rangers 3 Flyers 4
Rangers 6
Bruins 2
Rangers 2 Bruins 4
Rangers 3
Sabres 2
Rangers 6 Devils 1
Rangers 6 Devils 3

Penguins 5 Rangers 1
Penguins 4 Rangers 2
Bruins 4 Rangers 0

Worst.cherry.picked.stats.ever.

Come on dude! You are better than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad