Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
When the Gomez trade was unfolding, when did you get cised? Was it with the initial breaking news that Gomez was traded to Montreal? Or was it not until it was confirmed that Higgins was part of the return? Or was it not until McDonagh was confirmed to be part of the return. For me it was the initial news that he was traded. Didn't matter if we got nothing back. And in his two seasons, Gomez had performed on par with what he was expected to do! He didn't crap the bed like Trouba. But he wasn't a premium player worthy of premium money. So he had to go. What's the difference? Why would it be so terrible to get rid of Trouba now while we have the chance. Because he didn't get a second season to redeem himself? Well it's either 6 more seasons or 0 more seasons. We can't give him 1 more try. I choose 0.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
So if you trade a mediocre player for a good player and the good player is an RFA and you sign him to a long term contract for max money did you make a good trade? I say no. If you want to make a semantical argument, nevertheless you set back your organization in totality.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
So if you trade a mediocre player for a good player and the good player is an RFA and you sign him to a long term contract for max money did you make a good trade? I say no. If you want to make a semantical argument, nevertheless you set back your organization in totality.

Who are you talking to? Lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Just to be clear... This is what we are talking about:

A 1st and Hollander = a lot to give up
A 1st and Pionk = not a lot to give up

A 1st and Neal Pionk for an RFA Jacob Trouba is a good deal
A 1st and Hållander for Kapanen at 3.2m from a team wanting to dump him due to cap reasons is not a good deal

Context matters

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I know what we're talking about. Giving up anything or giving up nothing for the right to pay Trouba top 5 dman money is a brutal way to build your roster.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
You think all 1st round picks are equal in value?
There are grasps that are so outrageous that you just have to respect it. Then there are grasps that break through the ceiling of outrageousness and respect and force you to swing the other way. They burn you to your core. They eat at you from the inside out. And then there are grasps that break through that ceiling level and swing you back the other way to depths you didn't even know where possible. You just have to admit to yourself that some grasps cannot be grasped. You just stare at to it with a permanent scrabble face when all you have are Q's and Zeds. Kudos to you.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hallander is a VERY good prospect, and the general consensus is that 15OA in a draft like this year is equivalent to a Top 10 pick in most other drafts, and that's worth a lot, even if you go by Schucker's evaluation of draft pick value.

Compare that to 20OA in a 'good, not great' draft in 2019, plus a defenseman who, while has stuck around in the NHL, is very one dimensional and bad defensively.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There are grasps that are so outrageous that you just have to respect it. Then there are grasps that break through the ceiling of outrageousness and respect and force you to swing the other way. They burn you to your core. They eat at you from the inside out. And then there are grasps that break through that ceiling level and swing you back the other way to depths you didn't even know where possible. You just have to admit to yourself that some grasps cannot be grasped. You just stare at to it with a permanent scrabble face when all you have are Q's and Zeds. Kudos to you.

Oh, the irony

Hallander is a VERY good prospect, and the general consensus is that 15OA in a draft like this year is equivalent to a Top 10 pick in most other drafts, and that's worth a lot, even if you go by Schucker's evaluation of draft pick value.

Compare that to 20OA in a 'good, not great' draft in 2019, plus a defenseman who, while has stuck around in the NHL, is very one dimensional and bad defensively.

Trouba > Kapanen
21st OA (2019) < 15th OA (2020)
Pionk = Hållander

I am being generous here with Pionk. Toronto got a better draft pick for a worse player while actively trying to dump salary. How anyone could compare these two, I will never understand

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
This is going to start to look like the Karlsson or Subban contract if Trouba doesn't step up. Wow he was bad yesterday.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Look I admit I wasn’t a huge fan of the contract we gave him but we shouldn’t get crazy over one game. Now I agree he needs to be overall better. Last year I thought he was up and down. Some games he would be a beast while others he would struggle. But we need to keep in mind that the Tangers haven’t really played that much in the past 9 months. No preseason games either. Gonna take some time for most of the guys to get their legs under them

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
Look I admit I wasn’t a huge fan of the contract we gave him but we shouldn’t get crazy over one game. Now I agree he needs to be overall better. Last year I thought he was up and down. Some games he would be a beast while others he would struggle. But we need to keep in mind that the Tangers haven’t really played that much in the past 9 months. No preseason games either. Gonna take some time for most of the guys to get their legs under them

I agree with you mostly, but the "My team hasn't played many games in recent time" isn't applicable.... no team in the league has played much hockey in a while.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
He wasn't good, but he wasn't really worse than anyone else. His positioning/awareness on the first goal was bad, but the biggest take away from that play is Igor giving up joke of a goal. Maybe could have played a little harder on the stick on the 4th goal but he was close to him and tried to get physical but Lee still got a stick on it. Not to make excuses but the biggest atrocity there was JJ's failure to clear the puck shortly before.

Again, he wasn't good, he wasn't brutal. Nonetheless, he's got to be better.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Jacob Trouba is way to good a hockey player to play like he did yesterday. It’s unacceptable and he knows it. He was actually our best player in the bubble. He was awful last night. All of them were. But it’s not because he’s not a good player. He’s a very very good hockey player. Which makes games like yesterday completely unacceptable

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Jacob Trouba is way to good a hockey player to play like he did yesterday. It’s unacceptable and he knows it. He was actually our best player in the bubble. He was awful last night. All of them were. But it’s not because he’s not a good player. He’s a very very good hockey player. Which makes games like yesterday completely unacceptable

You could insert any name on this team in place of Trouba outside of Lafreniere, Lindgren and Howden into that sentence.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Did you watch him last year? This was well within his normal performance window as a Ranger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad