Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Some old USA u18 and u20 kept popping up on my youtube so I dabbled in them. He's the same player he's always been.

I really didn't post enough in the offseason about how dire the situation was. My mistake, I apologize.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
We make so many excuses for him. The problem isn’t his partner. It’s his play.
I dont think its making excuses, but hockey is a team sport. You cant play defense properly if you are covering for someone else's mistakes. Miller at multiple points was up near the blue line chasing the puck, that then forces both his partner and the center to cover 3 players.
I think people look at trouba and expect a 1d. while trouba is closer to a 2d and gets paid like it. Also keep in mind he eats a ton of minutes, and bad forward defensive play trickles through to how the defense plays.
While hockey analytics have gotten a lot better you cant just look at stuff in isolation without 4 other even strength teammates having an impact on his play.

Reactions: CasusBelli

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I dont think its making excuses, but hockey is a team sport. You cant play defense properly if you are covering for someone else's mistakes. Miller at multiple points was up near the blue line chasing the puck, that then forces both his partner and the center to cover 3 players.
I think people look at trouba and expect a 1d. while trouba is closer to a 2d and gets paid like it. Also keep in mind he eats a ton of minutes, and bad forward defensive play trickles through to how the defense plays.
While hockey analytics have gotten a lot better you cant just look at stuff in isolation without 4 other even strength teammates having an impact on his play.

He is the 7th highest paid D in the NHL(tied with others). How is that being paid like a 2?
I think it was a pretty glaring mistake to put Miller with Trouba. Not a good fit for either player. With that said, Trouba is a middling second pair defenseman.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
They were ALL bad yesterday.
Trouba has had a single digit number of good games since getting here.

The problems he has here are problems he always had. He was NEVER good defensively. At any level. It's more of the same except the offense isn't really coming through either.

Reactions: hi

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think he will greatly benefit if he is being paired with Lindgren. Lets hope and see. Anyway they should get Johnson out and use Smith on the left side instead.
not to be snarky to you, but good to know we need a 22 YO sophomore LHD to steady our $8 mill defenseman.

which isn't a knock on Lindgren, he is strong defensively, but come on.

Miller was left by himself to defend multiple times cause Trouba got caught pinching.

I'm sorry I don't know what Trouba you are watching. He's a complete dipshit defensively. He was never good defensively, at any level, ever. I think you need to watch him more.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
When I was saying he should be traded before his NMC kicks in everybody was laughing it off.
Theres still plenty of time for him to prove himself, but when the topic of an amnesty buyout came up I had no problem throwing his hat in the ring. At this point with how hes performed any trade with Trouba the other team would be crazy not to require the Rangers eat 2 million a year like the Kessel trade. That would be a decent chunk of money for a lot of years still

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Theres still plenty of time for him to prove himself, but when the topic of an amnesty buyout came up I had no problem throwing his hat in the ring. At this point with how hes performed any trade with Trouba the other team would be crazy not to require the Rangers eat 2 million a year like the Kessel trade. That would be a decent chunk of money for a lot of years still

maybe they need to properly scout a player before trading big assets for him and signing him to a huge contract before even him playing a single game for their team.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I gotta be honest it’s very fascinating seeing the critical comments of Trouba whereas for years on many fans in this board badly wanted to trade for him. Personally I was never a huge fan of his. I thought he was a good but not great defenseman. I thought the trade was ok. I hated the contract. It was an overpay first a guy who is t a top defensemen. Last season he was up and down. Some games he would look like a beast while others he would look pretty bad

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I gotta be honest it’s very fascinating seeing the critical comments of Trouba whereas for years on many fans in this board badly wanted to trade for him. Personally I was never a huge fan of his. I thought he was a good but not great defenseman. I thought the trade was ok. I hated the contract. It was an overpay first a guy who is t a top defensemen. Last season he was up and down. Some games he would look like a beast while others he would look pretty bad
I'll be honest I was in favor of acquiring him, but that was before handing him an 8M contract and finding out we had 2 other really good RHD who were younger and cheaper. I still think it was a worthwhile trade and hope he eventually returns to the form he had in Winnipeg but so far it's been a disaster.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hilarious to see the posts before the game... then he plays with Lindgren... and the posts stop.

As one of his biggest boosters, I fully recognize that, on balance, he's not lived up to the advance billing since he signed here. But the whole deal with him is that he needs to play with an edge to be the player we acquired him to be. Lindgren allowed him to do that, and you saw the results. Same as when he played with "good" Smith last year.

Now, some of you have made the point that a 1D's play shouldn't be reliant on his partner. To which I say, I agree – that's why he's an elite 2D. Which is all I've ever said he is. The problem is people expecting him to be prime Doughty. That's not who he is. Never has been.

He's a damn good player when used appropriately, however.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He is the 7th highest paid D in the NHL(tied with others). How is that being paid like a 2?
I think it was a pretty glaring mistake to put Miller with Trouba. Not a good fit for either player. With that said, Trouba is a middling second pair defenseman.

Well, in reality he's 15th highest paid by cap % at time of signing, which is the real way to compare. Even so, there's still more to it than that. Age matters. Trouba was signed at 25. A legit 1D signed at 25 to a long-term contract is Victor Hedman. His contract is a full percentage point higher than Trouba's at 10.8%. Subban is another one at 13%. The first 8 years of Duncan Keith's contract, signed at 26, would come in at 12.1%.

To me, for players in the age group Trouba is in, 8-10% is 2D salary. 10%+ is 1D salary. Trouba is right at the top of the 2D salary with 9.8%, but it's still in the right range. Would I be happier with Trouba's contract being more like Cam Fowler's at 8.7%? Of course! But that won't change my view of what kind of contract he has. If, as @Brooklyn Rangers Fan says, he's an elite #2, then he's paid perfectly for that.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Great game by him last night. Shutdown the top line, great checking and kept firing pucks from the point.

Great two way play too. He was moving the puck up and joining the rush and keeping plays alive in the offensive zone. I think DQ said it was his best game as a Ranger, and I 'd have to agree.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The funniest thing in this thread is how many people who would have given their first born to get Trouba a few years ago, talking about what a great defenseman he is, are now shitting on him regularly. Make no mistake, it is more than 50% of people here.

Never ceases to amaze me...

“We gotta him”
“We “ “. “ “ out of here”

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad