Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Ok uh really hope that you guys arent trying to evaluate trouba and his season with the current defense we have. Trouba under whelmed his first season, thats okay. He carried rookie hajek who seemingly continues to not improve and then he got stuck with smith- a third pairing d. Who did dougie play with again? Graves? Trouba hits like a truck and sometimes it takes him out of play. But find me a defenseman who plays 22 minutes a game and doesnt shit the bed for less than 8 mil (discluding bargain and elcs) he got market rate and hes not supposed to put up too many points. They signed him for defense.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
We have a complete disagreement here. No one knew what the RD was. You had no idea about Fox. Lundqvist also, while on the rise, did not appear to be on a skyrocket trajectory. You had DeAngelo coming off a half a year's worth of production.

And even with all of that, a major reason for the emergence of Fox and DeAngelo was Trouba's presence. Their seasons turn out to be completely different had they been asked to handle Trouba's assignments.

And there still is no logjam. Until we see how Fox and DeAngelo continue to develop and how Lundqvist hopefully continues to develop, comes to NA and continues to go further, there is no log jam. And that will be a good problem to have.
Again. All fair points. But I feel comfortable in saying that the team needs to be doing long term assessment and long term planning. They were not in a position of “need” for Trouba, mainly because they were/are not yet ready to compete, so I don’t particularly care that every GM in the league would make the deal.

While it is still undetermined whether or not any of those RD will ultra pan out, it is clear, and was at the time, that we likely had several very good young RD in the system. It is on the organization to be cognizant of that and try to think a few steps ahead when making moves.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Ok uh really hope that you guys arent trying to evaluate trouba and his season with the current defense we have. Trouba under whelmed his first season, thats okay. He carried rookie hajek who seemingly continues to not improve and then he got stuck with smith- a third pairing d. Who did dougie play with again? Graves? Trouba hits like a truck and sometimes it takes him out of play. But find me a defenseman who plays 22 minutes a game and doesnt shit the bed for less than 8 mil (discluding bargain and elcs) he got market rate and hes not supposed to put up too many points. They signed him for defense.
I think Brodin would be a great partner for Trouba. Not old either

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Again. All fair points. But I feel comfortable in saying that the team needs to be doing long term assessment and long term planning. They were not in a position of “need” for Trouba, mainly because they were/are not yet ready to compete, so I don’t particularly care that every GM in the league would make the deal.

While it is still undetermined whether or not any of those RD will ultra pan out, it is clear, and was at the time, that we likely had several very good young RD in the system. It is on the organization to be cognizant of that and try to think a few steps ahead when making moves.
Fair enough. I think that on this topic, we have safely arrived at the "agree to disagree" section.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
@Machinehead
scDpFAL.jpg

Reactions: Machinehead

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I've spent the morning really diving into how we could have botched this so badly. Even if you toss out this season which really taints his profile, it still makes no sense. 8 million!!! Are you joking. I was going through the league and if I was generous I would say, at the time, his comparables were guys like Parayko and Dumba. 5-6 M range. Not 8. Not effing 8. And that was before this season's display. It's so disheartening. Can't get passed it. I harp on it. But it's just butt tilting. As soon as we shed one mortifying contract we can't wait to get into bed with another. Serenity now.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I've spent the morning really diving into how we could have botched this so badly. Even if you toss out this season which really taints his profile, it still makes no sense. 8 million!!! Are you joking. I was going through the league and if I was generous I would say, at the time, his comparables were guys like Parayko and Dumba. 5-6 M range. Not 8. Not effing 8. And that was before this season's display. It's so disheartening. Can't get passed it. I harp on it. But it's just butt tilting. As soon as we shed one mortifying contract we can't wait to get into bed with another. Serenity now.
Parayko and Dumba are not comparables. Those were contracts signed when they were RFAs.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kinda like Trouba, ya feel?

Trouba:

5.5m in final year
1 RFA year and 6 UFA years on current deal
8m AAV

Dumba:
2.75m in final year
3 RFA years and 2 UFA years in current deal
6m AAV

Parayko:

925k in final year
No arbitration rights
5.5m AAV

Yeah, Dumba and Parayka are kinda like Trouba, ya feel?

Spoiler alert: They're not

Last edited:

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Trouba:
5.5m in final year
1 RFA year and 6 UFA years on current deal
8m AAV

Dumba:
2.75m in final year
6m AAV

Parayko:

925k in final year
No arbitration rights

Yeah, Dumba and Parayka are kinda like Trouba, ya feel?

Spoiler alert: They're not
I tend to agree with that.

Reactions: dapowl

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Sure. If you look at plus-minus and ignore who he played with
Let's start with defense is a 6 man job, not just the two defensive partners. With that said, nobody has Makar near the top of their lists for shutdown defensemen.
The point I was trying to make is that Graves is now a legitimate NHLer. He made $735K last season.
Trouba was less than impressive last season. He is on a bloated $8m deal.
We probably jumped the gun on signing him considering where the team is in the rebuild and the pipeline of D.
Why not give Graves a legit shot? He might not have worked on in NY, but we will never know because he never got a chance.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Let's start with defense is a 6 man job, not just the two defensive partners. With that said, nobody has Makar near the top of their lists for shutdown defensemen.
The point I was trying to make is that Graves is now a legitimate NHLer. He made $735K last season.
Trouba was less than impressive last season. He is on a bloated $8m deal.
We probably jumped the gun on signing him considering where the team is in the rebuild and the pipeline of D.
Why not give Graves a legit shot? He might not have worked on in NY, but we will never know because he never got a chance.

Graves plays on the left. Is Graves better than Lindgren? Because he's not playing over Smith, Staal or Skjei (last season)

Trouba's 8m is market value.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Graves plays on the left. Is Graves better than Lindgren? Because he's not playing over Smith, Staal or Skjei (last season)

Trouba's 8m is market value.

It's hard to say if he's better than Smith, Staal or Skjei, but a case can be made that he is better.

If you consider Trouba's market value at $8m, I have a bridge to sell you.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad