Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I had the Isles' broadcast and I didn't read anything after the game, how do you think the Rangers are going to deal with Trouba's expulsion from the league after the hit last night?

Last I heard, once Bettman flips the switch and Trouba stops twitching and sizzling, we will get the cap space back that was associated with his contract.

Minus a small penalty for being associated with such a creature, of course.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
looked like a legal hit to me shoulder then the beak.

vicious hit. no question contact was in the head area or borderline head area but i saw shoulder into chest first then contact with the head but not initially.

i love the energy though.

beating the piles is always sweet

Reactions: leetch99

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Hit aside he was making Barzal's night miserable for most of the night. Just like every defenseman before him who doesn't weave his way around the ice and score a ton, he'll be hated no matter how well he plays. He's been inconsistent this season, but he's a young player, too. He's on a new team, in a new role, playing against a different conference, with 3 different (and mediocre) partners. Personally have never liked the contract, but count me as one who has come to like the player very much.
As I said, I loved the hit and the bullying but he wasn't particularly effective on the ice. Barzal put up +15/-8 shot attempts and +0.83/-0.2 xG in 5:57 minutes against Trouba 5v5. Compare with +8/-11 and +0.59/-0.41 in 6:45 against DeAngelo (whom they tried to target).
upload_2020-2-26_19-18-30.png

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
As I said, I loved the hit and the bullying but he wasn't particularly effective on the ice. Barzal put up +15/-8 shot attempts and +0.83/-0.2 xG in 5:57 minutes against Trouba 5v5. Compare with +8/-11 and +0.59/-0.41 in 6:45 against DeAngelo (whom they tried to target).
View attachment 327429

I long for the day when it's fully accepted that the most effective defense is to have the puck.

Athor

Sep 25, 2019
I long for the day when it's fully accepted that the most effective defense is to have the puck.

You can't have the puck all the time & inevitably will have to defend. Are you planning on playing keep-away from all the top players around the league? Would you rather give up 1 glorious opportunity or 3 mediocre ones? Shot attempts don't really tell the story.

Reactions: romba

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You can't have the puck all the time & inevitably will have to defend. Are you planning on playing keep-away from all the top players around the league? Would you rather give up 1 glorious opportunity or 3 mediocre ones? Shot attempts don't really tell the story.

The NHL are going to start tracking the puck (location, velocity, etc.) in the playoffs this year. Pretty soon we'll have a very good answer to whether 1 chance equals 3 lesser chances.

But for now, your response works both ways. ADA also creates more glorious chances than Trouba does; and more mediocre ones as well for that matter.

Athor

Sep 25, 2019
The NHL are going to start tracking the puck (location, velocity, etc.) in the playoffs this year. Pretty soon we'll have a very good answer to whether 1 chance equals 3 lesser chances.

But for now, your response works both ways. ADA also creates more glorious chances than Trouba does; and more mediocre ones as well for that matter.

The tracking isn't going to give you the answer as easily as you may think. There are still a ridiculous amount of variables to factor in that the analytics community currently doesn't even pay attention to. I don't think ADA is going to create enough to out-chance the top forwards of this league.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The tracking isn't going to give you the answer as easily as you may think.
It most certainly should be a HUGE improvement. If you're already stating it's not an effective measure before it's even released then you've made your decision that advanced stats are not for you. Which is fine. But shot release location, velocity, puck height, as well as traffic between the puck and goal should give a pretty good idea of shot quality. Even not having all those variables available will still lead to a significant improvement in Advanced Stats validity AND reliability. Once you have a legit metric for shot quality + legit possession you can begin to tease out the best team's and players at generating one or both and preventing one or both of them, the bread and butter of stats and success in the NHL. What am I missing here?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
He should have moved up on everyone's favorite Rangers list following that hit.

I have a feeling this guy will step it up from now to the end of the season.

I hope so. Want to like the guy. He's got the ability and he's had some really good games. Just his gaffes are very noticeable.

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would certainly hope so. DeAngelo is very talented offensively. There is a reason that he is doing what he is doing at the age that he is doing it at. Pure offensive talent is not the sole marker of a good defenseman. Not that I think you are stating that.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
He should have moved up on everyone's favorite Rangers list following that hit.

I have a feeling this guy will step it up from now to the end of the season

He better considering the money he is making. I mean it took about 62 games for him to have his best game. Other than the Winnipeg game has had been disappointing. Now that Skjei is gone there are no more excuses. So hopefully the Isles game was a sign of things to come

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Athor

Sep 25, 2019
It most certainly should be a HUGE improvement. If you're already stating it's not an effective measure before it's even released then you've made your decision that advanced stats are not for you. Which is fine. But shot release location, velocity, puck height, as well as traffic between the puck and goal should give a pretty good idea of shot quality. Even not having all those variables available will still lead to a significant improvement in Advanced Stats validity AND reliability. Once you have a legit metric for shot quality + legit possession you can begin to tease out the best team's and players at generating one or both and preventing one or both of them, the bread and butter of stats and success in the NHL. What am I missing here?

I dive into advanced stats almost every day. I understand the limitations of them & how they're derived. I consider all the variables that to into their calculations, how much things are weighted in their formulas, etc. Combine that with an understanding of on-ice events and how one thing impacts another, a substantial disparity starts to be revealed. I agree that it will be a huge improvement, especially in the collection of raw data. How it gets utilized though is the more questionable part.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I dive into advanced stats almost every day. I understand the limitations of them & how they're derived. I consider all the variables that to into their calculations, how much things are weighted in their formulas, etc. Combine that with an understanding of on-ice events and how one thing impacts another, a substantial disparity starts to be revealed. I agree that it will be a huge improvement, especially in the collection of raw data. How it gets utilized though is the more questionable part.
I guess I'm just more hopeful that having better raw data will lead to better utilization

Athor

Sep 25, 2019
I guess I'm just more hopeful that having better raw data will lead to better utilization

A problem I see a lot of is the guys developing many of these stats don't have much real first-hand knowledge of hockey. The EvolvingWild guys for example were baseball fans originally who only got into watching hockey later, and saw a potential for statistical evaluation. They tried to model a lot of it around baseball & even basketball statistics though which is inherently wrong. The game doesn't have any repeatable instances like every pitch or every possession starting the same way. They miss a lot of the nuance in the game.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

And it will!

People will use it in unexpected ways that prove to be very useful, but they'll also use it to make terms like "possession" and "expected goals" verifiable.

Zone exits and entries won't need to be manually tracked anymore, and a stat like Corsi may get immediately lost in the shuffle; no need for proxies anymore.

It's an excitement time for hockey analytics. I just hope it doesn't disappoint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad