Value of: Jacob Trouba (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What team is offering something good for Trouba? Do you think Detroit offering Zadina plus Red Wings 2021 first? Teams maybe interested but no decent GM would be stupid enough to offer a first and a top 4 Dman but perhaps you are right

Don't be greedy.
If it suits Red Wings interest, they will pay to degree it makes sense -- as profitable a price as they can extract but not so far as to = no deal.
Since Rangers consider value in futures DET would have to provide, along with cap relief, they will pay up to the point where it no longer makes sense. The intersection of THOSE 2 points is a possible deal, not asking for future 1st and a former top pick.

Also, my guess is to balance everything, a deal would likely be a package.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I agree but Jay and Bern keep claiming he is a top 10 Dman in the league. Trouba is a 5-6 million Dman and you pointed out he was insulated. The idiot running NY thought he could anchor a D when everyone in the league knew he couldn’t. What a shock that same GM made the same mistake twice thinking a 2nd pair Dman(Shatty,Trouba) could anchor a team....

Speaking for myself only, I don't remember and seriously doubt I ever said the bold.
I have said he is 1RD quality. I did not rank where among 31 RDs he fits. Expect if I took the time to crunch it thru, would be closer to top 10 than bottom 10, although fact he is 1.5m overpaid is a partial negative if that is a factor in the equation besides complete ability, including intangibles.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
This. How quick some forget and accuse me of making it up. With things are how they are in the world today I guess the revisionists can remember history any way they please and accuse others when it doesn’t fit their narrative
Trouba was not 1st pair dman for the jets. Buff was and clearly was for every year that trouba played for the jets. When Buff was injured, they moved Trouba up to play more minutes but that doesnt make him the Jets top pair dman like you think. Any time Buff was in the lineup he was by far no question the 1st pair dman playing 25-26 minutes a night.

Trouba was not on the 1st power play unit. Buff and Laine were on the points, and often played 2/3 of every power play. Trouba cried cause he wanted PP time so when Buff was hurt maurice moved him up to keep him happy, but when it was clear that wasnt keep him from leaving they went with better options by moving Myers and some times Morrisey in that spot with Laine on the top PP., especially when the going got tough cause they did a better job.

So thanks for coming out with your version of how players were utilized by the Jets. Again you have no clue, and I love how you came back to try to chirp about knowing the history of the jets. I have been a full season tickets holder since the jets came back, so if you want to come back and tell me what was going on during the games with the Jets I will be happy to correct you again. It is nice to correct the guys that pretend to know what they are talking about, because it fits their narrative.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Trouba was not 1st pair dman for the jets. Buff was and clearly was for every year that trouba played for the jets. When Buff was injured, they moved Trouba up to play more minutes but that doesnt make him the Jets top pair dman like you think. Any time Buff was in the lineup he was by far no question the 1st pair dman playing 25-26 minutes a night.

Trouba was not on the 1st power play unit. Buff and Laine were on the points, and often played 2/3 of every power play. Trouba cried cause he wanted PP time so when Buff was hurt maurice moved him up to keep him happy, but when it was clear that wasnt keep him from leaving they went with better options by moving Myers and some times Morrisey in that spot with Laine on the top PP., especially when the going got tough cause they did a better job.

So thanks for coming out with your version of how players were utilized by the Jets. Again you have no clue, and I love how you came back to try to chirp about knowing the history of the jets. I have been a full season tickets holder since the jets came back, so if you want to come back and tell me what was going on during the games with the Jets I will be happy to correct you again. It is nice to correct the guys that pretend to know what they are talking about, because it fits their narrative.
Your just contradicting yourself and you sound foolish. Trouba not a first pair D but when buff out injured ( I believe ankle or a concussion I can’t remember which) trouba was moved up? If he was moved up what pair does that make him? This is obviously the time frame I was talking about. As well as that year in the playoffs. You sound confused. To fit my narrative?? How bout to fit Your narrative ace? Did he play on first pair. Yes. Did he play on the PP and put up points? Yes. He was not on the first PP but was moved up when he cried?? So what unit would that make him on?? . If you were at every game I’m surprised you weren’t watching this take place. Fact of the matter was trouba and morrissey played first pair for the jets. I understand buff was injured but that does not dispute the fact that trouba and morrissey played well in their first pair role. But but but if buff was there...... if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. It doesn’t negate the fact that he was more then capable in an extended first pair role for half a season and into the playoffs

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006

He was responding to my post, and I'm a Jets fan.

Trouba got plenty of time on the top pair with Morrissey in 18/19, and he got a lot of #1 PP time when Buff was injured (40 games). It's not revisionist history, I watched all the games.

Reactions: jay from jersey

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Trouba’s better than Luke Schenn but you missed the point he isn’t 8X better. Rangers are rebuilding but some reason Gorton thought Trouba was the final piece of the puzzle. Why not wait till UFA and guess what if he doesn’t reach who cares you have Shatty one year left,Fox and Tony D.
I didn't miss the point. It's not about Trouba having to be 8x better. We had no minute eating defender and going for 8x less Schenn at that time doesn't solve anything.

NYR were looking to compete. I think that's obvious. I'm not telling you to like the moves Gorton made, but if you're going to criticize a GM, stop using the wait until UFA approach because that hardly ever works out.

He's not an 8million defender. I won't argue that. And our defense could be worse this season under a new structure. I can't see into a crystal ball to know for sure. But my point was you have to stop comparing Trouba to Dmen who make less, because those players would look like absolute crap in our system. (Pionk)

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
maybe Trouba agrees to follow Lindy Ruff to Devils, for Dawson Mercer and a future pick

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Flyers for example were rumored to have offered a better package than NYR, and I think they would be a great fit if the cap could work. Detroit could be a fit as well. But they’re not trading a top prospect like Zadina.

Anyway I don’t want to trade Trouba. Im not in a panic mode. He brings a unique blend of size and skill, and as 26 yr old he’s entering the prime of his career.
How can Flyers offer a better trade package than the Rangers when he is a on the Rangers? It’s pretty clear I’m talking about now not before he got that 8 million per contract. If I had to guess why Jets didn’t go with the Flyers offer of Cam York it’s because Flyers found out it was Rangers or Red Wings being the only teams Trouba would sign long term. Flyers are contending for a cup while Rangers are allegedly rebuilding. It makes sense for Flyers to overpay for a player with their mindset.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
He’s hardly a top 10 D in the league. What he is is is an adequate half of a good first pair that has size and is mobile. When his contract was signed there was no covid and prices for all would be goin up. When the oilers signed Draisaitl for 8.7 most thought it was crazy. 2-3 years down the line the player progressed vastly and now it looks like a steal with how other contracts have gone up. People were making fun of that contract as well at the time. I’m not saying trouba will dramatically get better like Leon did. But he does have room to grow. Especially with a solid partner. Honestly right now 6.5 to 7 per year is what he is. Am I crazy about the 8 mil? No, is it one of the worst in the league, absolutely not. Especially when it ends when he is 31. Say he stayed with the peg or was traded to philly you would be seeing the same numbers and term at that current time give or take a million or so. All I’m saying is give the guy more then 1 season before you destroy him and Gorton for the deal. Especially when his play got noticeably better as the season went on
Are you really comparing the hart trophy winner with a 2nd pair Dman? I can give it more time but mention Philly or Jets is dumb considering he wasn’t signing long term. Perhaps bring up Red Wings as that was the only team he would sign with. I give Trouba and his agent credit for getting money for being a career 2nd pair Dman. I can’t wait to see Fox’s asking price.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Don't be greedy.
If it suits Red Wings interest, they will pay to degree it makes sense -- as profitable a price as they can extract but not so far as to = no deal.
Since Rangers consider value in futures DET would have to provide, along with cap relief, they will pay up to the point where it no longer makes sense. The intersection of THOSE 2 points is a possible deal, not asking for future 1st and a former top pick.

Also, my guess is to balance everything, a deal would likely be a package.
Greedy? That’s the price Rangers paid. 2nd line roster player plus a first. The difference was Rangers paid that for 1 year control while Red Wings pay for 6 years of control.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I didn't miss the point. It's not about Trouba having to be 8x better. We had no minute eating defender and going for 8x less Schenn at that time doesn't solve anything.

NYR were looking to compete. I think that's obvious. I'm not telling you to like the moves Gorton made, but if you're going to criticize a GM, stop using the wait until UFA approach because that hardly ever works out.

He's not an 8million defender. I won't argue that. And our defense could be worse this season under a new structure. I can't see into a crystal ball to know for sure. But my point was you have to stop comparing Trouba to Dmen who make less, because those players would look like absolute crap in our system. (Pionk)
Just to let you know Pionk ate more minutes than Trouba did last season. Rangers are looking to compete? I thought they were rebuilding? If competing is how they played against the Canes it’s time for a new plan and new GM. That was one of the worst performances I ever saw. If they are competing why did they hire Quinn? Could’ve had Trotz who could teach Defence like he did to Ovi.....

Reactions: snowkiddin

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
Just to let you know Pionk ate more minutes than Trouba did last season. Rangers are looking to compete? I thought they were rebuilding? If competing is how they played against the Canes it’s time for a new plan and new GM. That was one of the worst performances I ever saw. If they are competing why did they hire Quinn? Could’ve had Trotz who could teach Defence like he did to Ovi.....
They definitely weren't fully competing and they've basically said they won't be this upcoming year completely either.

Reactions: FireGorton

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Just to let you know Pionk looked terrible in our system and couldn't handle being a minute cruncher. Yes, NYR are looking to compete. Was that no obvious by signing Panarin? Going through a rebuild doesn't mean you don't try to compete until you feel all the pieces are in place to fill every hole. Maybe they don't believe they're actual contenders yet, but they plan to be competitive. When did they hire Quinn? It wasn't last season...

Last edited:

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
How can Flyers offer a better trade package than the Rangers when he is a on the Rangers? It’s pretty clear I’m talking about now not before he got that 8 million per contract. If I had to guess why Jets didn’t go with the Flyers offer of Cam York it’s because Flyers found out it was Rangers or Red Wings being the only teams Trouba would sign long term. Flyers are contending for a cup while Rangers are allegedly rebuilding. It makes sense for Flyers to overpay for a player with their mindset.
You asked who would trade for Trouba and my answer was possibly the flyers because it was rumored they believed there proposal to acquire him from the Jets was better than what NY offered. I think they would still be interested if the cap could work.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
So, why don’t you guys move the Trouba discussion to the NYR forum? Trouba is on a NMC contract in a location he specifically wanted. He’s not getting traded.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Are you really comparing the hart trophy winner with a 2nd pair Dman? I can give it more time but mention Philly or Jets is dumb considering he wasn’t signing long term. Perhaps bring up Red Wings as that was the only team he would sign with. I give Trouba and his agent credit for getting money for being a career 2nd pair Dman. I can’t wait to see Fox’s asking price.
No I’m not comparing them as players to each other at all. Your missing the gist of what I’m saying contract and value wise at the time said players signed their current deals. It’s fine we agree to disagree. I just don’t know how you can crush Gorton and trouba In year 1 of a 7 year deal

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Just to let you know Pionk looked terrible in our system and couldn't handle being a minute cruncher. Yes, NYR are looking to compete. Was that no obvious by signing Panarin? Going through a rebuild doesn't mean you don't try to compete until you feel all the pieces are in place to fill every hole. Maybe they don't believe they're actual contenders yet, but they plan to be competitive. When did they hire Quinn? It wasn't last season...
Pionk was fine but he had Staal as a partner. He also played 21 min a game during 18/19 season. Letting go of MSL and trading Hags was a huge sign of a rebuild only to trade for Eric Staal. Trading Stepan for high draft pick and young RHD puck mover was a sign of a rebuild but signing Shattenkirk was not. I mean the Hawks signed Hossa because they wanted to win while Panarin signing you are saying to just be competitive.... Nah Gorton expected this roster to win the cup. Speaking of competitive look at what Trotz has done with Isles since 18/19 season the same year the fisherman hired Quinn

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
You asked who would trade for Trouba and my answer was possibly the flyers because it was rumored they believed there proposal to acquire him from the Jets was better than what NY offered. I think they would still be interested if the cap could work.
So Flyers offer Cam York and Morgan Frost along with 2021 first? I do that in a heartbeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad