Value of: Jacob Trouba (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You obviously have no idea on how trouba was used when he was a jet. Nothing you said was even close, and thinking skeji was or is some kind of gem is laughable.
The poster mentioned it was after the rookie season. The season where Skjei actually did look like a gem.

And just because the poster you're responding to spelled Skjei wrong, doesn't mean you need to do the same...

Reactions: klingsor

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The poster mentioned it was after the rookie season. The season where Skjei actually did look like a gem.

And just because the poster you're responding to spelled Skjei wrong, doesn't mean you need to do the same...
Yea fat fingers on I phone lol. Skjei had a great rookie year and was better then mcdonaugh in the Ottawa series. That year was how he got his contract

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
You obviously have no idea on how trouba was used when he was a jet. Nothing you said was even close, and thinking skeji was or is some kind of gem is laughable.
Skjei was great his rookie year. He put up 40 points and had a better playoff then mcdonaugh. That year is the sole reason he got a 5 year deal. And trouba and morrissy were first pair were they not? Trouba played the point on the PP did he not? What about his deployment at i incorrect about? At that time Miller was a 23 year old 50 plus point fwd and skjei was coming off a 40pt rookie season and looking like he was ready to take the next step. I was told trouba was amazing and not worth that package. Which by the way was certainly more valuable then pionk who had a pretty good overall showing after being signed as a free agent and a low first rd pick

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
You can’t go by PP stats when he’s not on 1st PP in Ny and was on Winnipeg. DeAngelo and now we know Fox, are more suited to run the point with their vision and passing. That’s not a sleight at trouba he still has a better shot then both and can make good outlet passes but he is not as offensive as fox or tony because that’s not his major role here as it was for the jets. Trouba was acquired to be a minute eating RD who is mobile and can add offense from time to time. He has done that. In the beginning of the year he was trying to do too much. He was even hard on himself saying he needs to be better. As the season went on, he did. In the play ins he was our best D. I believe he is going to have a much better 2nd season with the rangers now that he is acclimated to the new team and players as well as settling in a new area to live. Saying pionk is better or similar to trouba is a terrible comparison. Neal pionk scares no one. Physically trouba and pionk are not in the same stratosphere. Trouba’s main job was to play against other teams top players, keep the crease clear, and move the puck. His size and ability to use his body keeps opposing players honest. Pionk doesn’t have that in his game at all. That’s what the rangers traded for. Pionk was a redundant player in the rangers system with DeAngelo here and the acquisition of fox. He is the worst of the three. The rangers want a big mobile defense. That’s what they have been drafting since the mcilrath disaster. Miller, Lundqvist, Schneider even skeji are all big mobile defensemen. Only Schneider has the nasty edge trouba has. He’s not a mid pair D-man. He is a good 1st pair defensemen that is in search of a good partner. He was very good when he played with lindgren for a short time and very good paired with smith which. Get him a solid partner and I bet everyone will change their tune on trouba. I’m hoping K’Andre can be that guy. Maybe Robertson who knows maybe DeAngelo or Lundqvist. What trouba provides is what the rangers needed. The trade was made at the time it was for various reasons stated in posts above. As far as jets fans trashing him, I remember posting Skeji and Miller for trouba trade years ago and I was laughed at. This was after skeji good rookie year. Jets fans loved him, things went sour after the contract dispute, but if trouba didn’t want out you can bet your bottom dollar Chevy would have signed him to a similar deal. Let’s give the guy 1 more year and a stable solid partner before all the Monday morning arm chair GM’s start bashing the contract and the trade. The deal ends when he’s 31 for god sakes not 37. He’s still growing as a player himself
That was my whole point that his point totals were increased by Laine finishing on his passes. He got beat by a rookie and a guy Gorton treats like Rodney Dangerfield(Tony D). Trouba was acquired to be a Norris trophy shutdown defender which he has yet to show in his career as a NHLer.

Pionk was redundant with Tony D and Shatty in the lineup but all three were acquired the same offseason. Trouba for first time in his career faced top level talent as he had Buff to shelter him like AP27 did for Shatty. Trouba can hit but is bad defensively. He was garbage in play in, and was garbage for Jets 2019.

Good first pair Dman don’t need a partner to elevate their game. Look at Mac, EK65 with Methot, Thomas Chabot, Does it help sure but elite D elevate others around them. Look at Morgan Reilly or Doughty.

What a shock the guy who had the heavy influence on McIllrath draft overpaid for Trouba trade/$ wise. He signed Chara and at the time Pronger was what you wanted in a D considering he had 3 Cup appearances in 5 seasons. K’Andre is 3 years away from potentially being top pair guy.

Hopefully Trouba figures it out but considering the baggage he brings who knows but at least his wife is happy.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I agree. Gorton traded a better defenseman (Pionk) and defenseman who projects to be better (Heinola) for Trouba when Trouba refused to go anywhere but NYC. It’s incredible that Gorton had to give up anything at all. He should’ve said “Here, you can have a 7th round pick and if you don’t like it, we’ll just sign Trouba as a FA.”

It’s interesting, everyone (myself included) laughed at that return for Trouba but it turns out it was a significant overpay, especially given the circumstances.
Well make up your mind! Was he worth nothing or an actual 7th round pick last year?

For the record the Flyers thought they offered a better package than what NYR gave up....

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
That was my whole point that his point totals were increased by Laine finishing on his passes. He got beat by a rookie and a guy Gorton treats like Rodney Dangerfield(Tony D). Trouba was acquired to be a Norris trophy shutdown defender which he has yet to show in his career as a NHLer.

Pionk was redundant with Tony D and Shatty in the lineup but all three were acquired the same offseason. Trouba for first time in his career faced top level talent as he had Buff to shelter him like AP27 did for Shatty. Trouba can hit but is bad defensively. He was garbage in play in, and was garbage for Jets 2019.

Good first pair Dman don’t need a partner to elevate their game. Look at Mac, EK65 with Methot, Thomas Chabot, Does it help sure but elite D elevate others around them. Look at Morgan Reilly or Doughty.

What a shock the guy who had the heavy influence on McIllrath draft overpaid for Trouba trade/$ wise. He signed Chara and at the time Pronger was what you wanted in a D considering he had 3 Cup appearances in 5 seasons. K’Andre is 3 years away from potentially being top pair guy.

Hopefully Trouba figures it out but considering the baggage he brings who knows but at least his wife is happy.
If you’re upset so far with the trade for NYR, I get it. High expectations and he had a tough year. But this hindsight bullshit is way out of proportion. The concerns were Trouba played on the second pair and had inflated offensive stats on the peg. This notion he was a bad player on peg and now the cats outs of the bag is just absurd. He was and still is a coveted young defender despite his contract. Norris consideration? I don’t recall ever thinking that. A top pair D man with an edge, yes hopefully he can bring that.

Can he crash like Subban, sure. But I’m willing to see how he acclimates over the next year or two.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
If you’re upset so far with the trade for NYR, I get it. High expectations and he had a tough year. But this hindsight bullshit is way out of proportion. The concerns were Trouba played on the second pair and had inflated offensive stats on the peg. This notion he was a bad player on peg and now the cats outs of the bag is just absurd. He was and still is a coveted young defender despite his contract. Norris consideration? I don’t recall ever thinking that. A top pair D man with an edge, yes hopefully he can bring that.

Can he crash like Subban, sure. But I’m willing to see how he acclimates over the next year or two.
Never said he was a bad player but he’s a career 2nd pair Dman whose Offense numbers were inflated due to Laine via PP. He’s not coveted due to him being 3 million per overpaid. What team is giving up top 10 pick for him? Who would you rather have Trouba or Quinn Hughes? Norris consideration is what Gorton thinks of him unless you think most teams pay 8 million per to 2nd pair Dman? Trouba brings that grit but Tampa got that out of Luke Schenn without costing a fortune....

Reactions: snowkiddin

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Never said he was a bad player but he’s a career 2nd pair Dman whose Offense numbers were inflated due to Laine via PP. He’s not coveted due to him being 3 million per overpaid. What team is giving up top 10 pick for him? Who would you rather have Trouba or Quinn Hughes? Norris consideration is what Gorton thinks of him unless you think most teams pay 8 million per to 2nd pair Dman? Trouba brings that grit but Tampa got that out of Luke Schenn without costing a fortune....
I disagree. I think most teams would be happy to acquire him if he was available despite a tough past year.

I’ll be the first one to let you know if and when we should Fire Gorton, but right now I’m not upset with the acquisition of Trouba.

But boy Luke Schenn would be a great add to make us a contender like tamper bee

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Trouba was not trash on the ice. Please. The Rangers forwards for the most part were young and struggled defensively. His partners were young as well. Trouba's game will improve as do his partners and the team defense. He was not a problem on their defense.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Different coaching structures matters a lot more than most realize. Especially when it comes to Defensemen and Goalies. We saw what Pionk was able to give us in our system, it wasn't going to change if we kept him. Saying Pionk played better for the Jets is irrelevant. You can say "Yeah, but what about the extra cap hit? Because that's what matters." That's fair, but we need to stop comparing Pionk and Trouba together.

Ruff is gone. The structure is going to continue to change as started in the bubble. We'll see what happens this year after several games adjusting to how they want their back-end to play.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Come on! Now you're just spitting out non-sense. Luke Schenn couldn't eat those minutes. Our left side was Staal, Trouba, and Skjei. Replace Trouba with Luke and we don't make the bubble or get the #1 pick this season.

The more physical players - Smith, Lindgren, Skjei, (lumping him in here but he misses 90% of his hits), and Luke Schenn couldn't eat those minutes. Tampa got great grit from Schenn who averaged double digit hits per 60 and played the right side, but they also had minute eating defenders to get away with that.

Reactions: NYRKing

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
You can’t go by PP stats when he’s not on 1st PP in Ny and was on Winnipeg. DeAngelo and now we know Fox, are more suited to run the point with their vision and passing. That’s not a sleight at trouba he still has a better shot then both and can make good outlet passes but he is not as offensive as fox or tony because that’s not his major role here as it was for the jets. Trouba was acquired to be a minute eating RD who is mobile and can add offense from time to time. He has done that. In the beginning of the year he was trying to do too much. He was even hard on himself saying he needs to be better. As the season went on, he did. In the play ins he was our best D. I believe he is going to have a much better 2nd season with the rangers now that he is acclimated to the new team and players as well as settling in a new area to live. Saying pionk is better or similar to trouba is a terrible comparison. Neal pionk scares no one. Physically trouba and pionk are not in the same stratosphere. Trouba’s main job was to play against other teams top players, keep the crease clear, and move the puck. His size and ability to use his body keeps opposing players honest. Pionk doesn’t have that in his game at all. That’s what the rangers traded for. Pionk was a redundant player in the rangers system with DeAngelo here and the acquisition of fox. He is the worst of the three. The rangers want a big mobile defense. That’s what they have been drafting since the mcilrath disaster. Miller, Lundqvist, Schneider even skeji are all big mobile defensemen. Only Schneider has the nasty edge trouba has. He’s not a mid pair D-man. He is a good 1st pair defensemen that is in search of a good partner. He was very good when he played with lindgren for a short time and very good paired with smith which. Get him a solid partner and I bet everyone will change their tune on trouba. I’m hoping K’Andre can be that guy. Maybe Robertson who knows maybe DeAngelo or Lundqvist. What trouba provides is what the rangers needed. The trade was made at the time it was for various reasons stated in posts above. As far as jets fans trashing him, I remember posting Skeji and Miller for trouba trade years ago and I was laughed at. This was after skeji good rookie year. Jets fans loved him, things went sour after the contract dispute, but if trouba didn’t want out you can bet your bottom dollar Chevy would have signed him to a similar deal. Let’s give the guy 1 more year and a stable solid partner before all the Monday morning arm chair GM’s start bashing the contract and the trade. The deal ends when he’s 31 for god sakes not 37. He’s still growing as a player himself
Ya I would highly recommend you actually watch a player with his previous team before writing a small novel on how he was used and how he played. Its very obvious to any Jets fan that you just pulled words out your butt hole. Your description in how he was used with Winnipeg is so far off it is evident you never did watch him play in Winnipeg. But you get an A for effort at least.

Nov 24, 2006
Trouba's best year as a Jet was 18/19 when he was paired on the first D pair with Josh Morrissey. That was also Josh Morrissey's best year. They just worked really well together, and each looked worse after the trade.

Trouba also benefitted greatly from Byfuglien's injuries that same year, as he got prime PP time on what was then one of the better power plays in the NHL. He didn't really belong in that spot to be honest, but with Byfuglien gone, he was put in that position and collected a bunch of points.

Bottom line to me: Trouba really benefitted from being on a solid D core from top to bottom in Winnipeg for a couple of years (Trouba, Myers, Byfuglien, Morrissey, Chiarot, Kulikov was a solid D), worked well specifically with Morrissey, and hit the PP jackpot with Buff's injury. He turned that into a contract that pays him $2 million more per year than it should.

He's still a good player, I just don't think he can carry a top line D pair all by himself.

From my perspective as a Jets fan, I think Jacob Trouba is better than Neal Pionk. I think Neal Pionk and that first round pick (Ville Heinola looks legit) is better than Jacob Trouba though, especially when you factor in that Pionk is earning $5 million per year less than Trouba.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Trouba's best year as a Jet was 18/19 when he was paired on the first D pair with Josh Morrissey. That was also Josh Morrissey's best year. They just worked really well together, and each looked worse after the trade.

Trouba also benefitted greatly from Byfuglien's injuries that same year, as he got prime PP time on what was then one of the better power plays in the NHL. He didn't really belong in that spot to be honest, but with Byfuglien gone, he was put in that position and collected a bunch of points.

Bottom line to me: Trouba really benefitted from being on a solid D core from top to bottom in Winnipeg for a couple of years (Trouba, Myers, Byfuglien, Morrissey, Chiarot, Kulikov was a solid D), worked well specifically with Morrissey, and hit the PP jackpot with Buff's injury. He turned that into a contract that pays him $2 million more per year than it should.

He's still a good player, I just don't think he can carry a top line D pair all by himself.

From my perspective as a Jets fan, I think Jacob Trouba is better than Neal Pionk. I think Neal Pionk and that first round pick (Ville Heinola looks legit) is better than Jacob Trouba though, especially when you factor in that Pionk is earning $5 million per year less than Trouba.

Chemistry is a fragile thing.
Pity.
Trouba won't go back, and Morrissey's contract both $ and term prohibits NY from even making an offer, not that I see at present we have a match on currency.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

This. How quick some forget and accuse me of making it up. With things are how they are in the world today I guess the revisionists can remember history any way they please and accuse others when it doesn’t fit their narrative

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Thank you for telling the truth. And I agree with 98 percent of your post. I also think trouba needs a solid mobile partner to have a number 1 D pair. Mobile, good decision making, and someone who makes the little plays. Keep it simple and keep the puck moving. I see your perspective from the jet POV and I can see how it works especially with buff retiring, a guy like Stanley not working out as well as hoped. In the rangers case they needed a player like trouba. There was none in the system at all really at that time. Schneider is somewhat similar but he was just drafted. Rangers needed a big mobile minute eater to clear the crease and keep players honest. Not to run the PP or even a very offensive game. To NYR the choice between trouba or pionk and heinola rangers take trouba 10 outta 10 times because of the players they already have in the system. To be fair as well trouba didn’t have a great showing in the playoffs that year as well. That’s why I agree with you totally about finding a partner that plays a similar game to morrissey to maximize trouba’s skill set. To date, skjei couldn’t, Smith wasn’t awful but not great, lindgren was pretty solid but not ideal. Hopefully it’s miller or Robertson.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I disagree. I think most teams would be happy to acquire him if he was available despite a tough past year.

I’ll be the first one to let you know if and when we should Fire Gorton, but right now I’m not upset with the acquisition of Trouba.

But boy Luke Schenn would be a great add to make us a contender like tamper bee
What team is offering something good for Trouba? Do you think Detroit offering Zadina plus Red Wings 2021 first? Teams maybe interested but no decent GM would be stupid enough to offer a first and a top 4 Dman but perhaps you are right

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Different coaching structures matters a lot more than most realize. Especially when it comes to Defensemen and Goalies. We saw what Pionk was able to give us in our system, it wasn't going to change if we kept him. Saying Pionk played better for the Jets is irrelevant. You can say "Yeah, but what about the extra cap hit? Because that's what matters." That's fair, but we need to stop comparing Pionk and Trouba together.

Ruff is gone. The structure is going to continue to change as started in the bubble. We'll see what happens this year after several games adjusting to how they want their back-end to play.
Ruff is gone but as seen in the bubble the D stinks.The fact Jack Johnson is on this roster shows Gorton is the problem with the D. The guy forced Ruff on two different coaches....

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Come on! Now you're just spitting out non-sense. Luke Schenn couldn't eat those minutes. Our left side was Staal, Trouba, and Skjei. Replace Trouba with Luke and we don't make the bubble or get the #1 pick this season.

The more physical players - Smith, Lindgren, Skjei, (lumping him in here but he misses 90% of his hits), and Luke Schenn couldn't eat those minutes. Tampa got great grit from Schenn who averaged double digit hits per 60 and played the right side, but they also had minute eating defenders to get away with that.
Trouba’s better than Luke Schenn but you missed the point he isn’t 8X better. Rangers are rebuilding but some reason Gorton thought Trouba was the final piece of the puzzle. Why not wait till UFA and guess what if he doesn’t reach who cares you have Shatty one year left,Fox and Tony D.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020

I agree but Jay and Bern keep claiming he is a top 10 Dman in the league. Trouba is a 5-6 million Dman and you pointed out he was insulated. The idiot running NY thought he could anchor a D when everyone in the league knew he couldn’t. What a shock that same GM made the same mistake twice thinking a 2nd pair Dman(Shatty,Trouba) could anchor a team....

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
What team is offering something good for Trouba? Do you think Detroit offering Zadina plus Red Wings 2021 first? Teams maybe interested but no decent GM would be stupid enough to offer a first and a top 4 Dman but perhaps you are right
Flyers for example were rumored to have offered a better package than NYR, and I think they would be a great fit if the cap could work. Detroit could be a fit as well. But they’re not trading a top prospect like Zadina.

Anyway I don’t want to trade Trouba. Im not in a panic mode. He brings a unique blend of size and skill, and as 26 yr old he’s entering the prime of his career.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I agree but Jay and Bern keep claiming he is a top 10 Dman in the league. Trouba is a 5-6 million Dman and you pointed out he was insulated. The idiot running NY thought he could anchor a D when everyone in the league knew he couldn’t. What a shock that same GM made the same mistake twice thinking a 2nd pair Dman(Shatty,Trouba) could anchor a team....
He’s hardly a top 10 D in the league. What he is is is an adequate half of a good first pair that has size and is mobile. When his contract was signed there was no covid and prices for all would be goin up. When the oilers signed Draisaitl for 8.7 most thought it was crazy. 2-3 years down the line the player progressed vastly and now it looks like a steal with how other contracts have gone up. People were making fun of that contract as well at the time. I’m not saying trouba will dramatically get better like Leon did. But he does have room to grow. Especially with a solid partner. Honestly right now 6.5 to 7 per year is what he is. Am I crazy about the 8 mil? No, is it one of the worst in the league, absolutely not. Especially when it ends when he is 31. Say he stayed with the peg or was traded to philly you would be seeing the same numbers and term at that current time give or take a million or so. All I’m saying is give the guy more then 1 season before you destroy him and Gorton for the deal. Especially when his play got noticeably better as the season went on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese