Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
The team looks a lot better on paper if you can allocate Marky’s 6-7 million else where. If you can get him with out expansion draft protection then I would sign him but term wise if he is over 6 nothing more than 3/4 years. Otherwise just role and hope Demko is the real deal.

If I was in charge of building a team I would rather one that can win with average goal tending then depend on a goalie to steal games all the time.

Reactions: Grumpy1 and MarkMM

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
You think Markstrom would sign without the guarantee of ED protection?

No idea. But you could be honest with him, say that you're going to look elsewhere if he requires it. And give him trade protection in years other than the expansion draft year. Do what you need to do to assure him that as long as he's playing well he isn't going anywhere.

Would that work? I couldn't say. But I think it would.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would expect the Canucks to sign a Brian Elliott type veteran who has 300 or more starts in his career. Jake Allen would have made sense but his cap hit is too high. Mike Smith would make sense as well. Jimmy Howard.
These are the types of backup targets the Canucks would go after not give the role to domingue or Dipietro with just 1 ahl season.

Reactions: MarkMM

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No idea. But you could be honest with him, say that you're going to look elsewhere if he requires it. And give him trade protection in years other than the expansion draft year. Do what you need to do to assure him that as long as he's playing well he isn't going anywhere.

Would that work? I couldn't say. But I think it would.
given the other options like a Carolina, Chicago, Buffalo, etc. Heck even Colorado, they would probably guarantee him ED protection so that he and his family don’t have to worry about where they will be in 21-22 season.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
given the other options like a Carolina, Chicago, Buffalo, etc. Heck even Colorado, they would probably guarantee him ED protection so that he and his family don’t have to worry about where they will be in 21-22 season.

That's fair, and it comes down to how much he values that protection and how much he likes playing/living in Vancouver. You can still give him a NTC for next season to ensure him he won't be traded outside the expansion draft, it just can't be a NMC.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Love Markstrom, but Demko is showing too much promise to ignore the difference in cap hits given the financial mess we're in. If Markstrom will take a friendly deal that doesn't have expansion protection then sure, and if he turns out to be the one we want to roll with for the next several years then we can turn Demko into a trade asset. Otherwise Demko gives us the luxury of putting the terms that serve the team to Markstrom in a take it or leave it fashion (while still being respectful of course) with the confidence that we win either way. Problem is that the terms that would make sense to sign Markstrom for the Canucks probably aren't worth it to him to stay unless he REALLY wants to stay here, I'd be like sub-$6M and 4 years with no expansion protection (though would be open to NTC, maybe becoming limited NTC in the latter years). But if I were Markstrom doubt I'd take it given the offers he'd get elsewhere.

Reactions: Dave Lister

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I can't imagine Markstrom will want to come back with that large shadow in Demko looming over his shoulder. Any sign of a hiccup, there's going to be huge calls for Demko to start.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Hey everyone question about the expansion draft (but related directly to Markstrom). How long does a player need to be a team ahead of the expansion draft to be protected? I thought there was a set time last ED (like you couldn't trade for a player during the summer before the draft and still protect them or something like that).

Is that the case or did I imagine that rule? That would complicate a potential sign and trade scenario.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hey everyone question about the expansion draft (but related directly to Markstrom). How long does a player need to be a team ahead of the expansion draft to be protected? I thought there was a set time last ED (like you couldn't trade for a player during the summer before the draft and still protect them or something like that).

Is that the case or did I imagine that rule? That would complicate a potential sign and trade scenario.
The expansion draft is targeted to June in a typical year. Nmc begin on July 1 the start of an nhl year. You can put in language that any ED protection can expire prior to the ED like Anaheim did with Vermette. He got a 2 year deal so nmc in year 1 but that expired 24 hours after the cup was awarded and the ED was held a few days later.

Nhl modified their rules in that if a player has 1 year left on a multi year deal and they sign a new deal after July 1, if that player is eligible for trade protection (ie older than rfa year) any trade protection on the new contract can be active immediately.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
The expansion draft is targeted to June in a typical year. Nmc begin on July 1 the start of an nhl year. You can put in language that any ED protection can expire prior to the ED like Anaheim did with Vermette. He got a 2 year deal so nmc in year 1 but that expired 24 hours after the cup was awarded and the ED was held a few days later.

Nhl modified their rules in that if a player has 1 year left on a multi year deal and they sign a new deal after July 1, if that player is eligible for trade protection (ie older than rfa year) any trade protection on the new contract can be active immediately.

So just to be clear, if Markstrom plays for us this year on a new contract (say it's a 6 year contract) and we trade him to a team a week before the expansion draft, that team can still protect him without any issue (obviously within the correct number of players etc)?

For some reason I had it in my mind that a player had to be on the team since the previous TDL to be protected, but I must have made that rule up.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Very good starting goalie but Demko’s last 3 games were no fluke. Have to let him walk. I don’t like hyperbole but Demko has multiple Vezina potential in him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For Vegas the nhl made it clear any deals between teams had to be legit nhl trades. Think there might have been stipulation that players dealt after the cup and up to the ED cutoff list could not be traded back to the team for a certain amount of time.

Canucks could sign Markstrom and in June 2021 trade him to Chicago. But for Markstrom he might as well sign now with another team.

Reactions: ratbid

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
For Vegas the nhl made it clear any deals between teams had to be legit nhl trades. Think there might have been stipulation that players dealt after the cup and up to the ED cutoff list could not be traded back to the team for a certain amount of time.

Canucks could sign Markstrom and in June 2021 trade him to Chicago. But for Markstrom he might as well sign now with another team.

Maybe thats what I was thinking about for stipulations. Either way it looks like it won't affect the Markstrom situation. Personally if you can get Markstrom signed without ED protection or a NTC, you might as well and then evaluate this year. I think we can maneuver to make it work. If we wants trade and ED protections it gets much more complicated.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
To bad Markstrom current contract was for 3 years and not 4 years. I would like to have another year to determine if Demko is the real thing before I decide who to keep.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Demko just played his best 3 games back to back to back in this series. He wasn’t stellar in his larger body of work.

they will re sign markstrom 100%. I think the organization thinks dipietro has more upside than demko. I think he’s had a better rookie Ahl season?

Demko will and likely should be shopped for a cap relief if we can get markstrom at 4 years at a reasonable number.

virtanen in my mind is the other piece that can be used for cap relief. If we move those two guys, re sign leivo at a good number which is feasible I’m not sure our team is a ton less competitive over 82 games.

it sucks to think but something has to be the casualty of our poor cap management. It has to happen, we might as well fix our structure before we’re forced to by the Peterson and Hughes extensions. They will be 16m plus

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Demko just played his best 3 games back to back to back in this series. He wasn’t stellar in his larger body of work.

they will re sign markstrom 100%. I think the organization thinks dipietro has more upside than demko. I think he’s had a better rookie Ahl season?

Demko will and likely should be shopped for a cap relief if we can get markstrom at 4 years at a reasonable number.

virtanen in my mind is the other piece that can be used for cap relief. If we move those two guys, re sign leivo at a good number which is feasible I’m not sure our team is a ton less competitive over 82 games.

it sucks to think but something has to be the casualty of our poor cap management. It has to happen, we might as well fix our structure before we’re forced to by the Peterson and Hughes extensions. They will be 16m plus

No starters in the NHL are dipietro‘s height.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Only matter is that it was confirmed that Myers doesn’t need to be protected for the ED. I would imagine the same goes for Ferland. Since his nmc is only good through the 20-21 season the Canucks could have worded the contract that it expires 24 hours after the end of the NHL season for example.

cause there is no point in having his nmc run through the ED since he drops to a mntc on July 1.

Correct, Ferland will not have to be protected in the expansion draft.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
It’s been reported that your GM is negotiating with Markstrom already.

what do you expect Markstrom to get in terms of cap and term?

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s been report that your GM is negotiating with Markstrom already.

what do you expect Markstrom to get in terms of cap and term?
How often have you heard a GM say about any ufa that there will be no further contract discussions?

so long as JB goes in armed with more leverage he can negotiate all he wants. No ED protection. Unlikely for a deal to be signed without the sense that he is the guy. He would be the guy if he goes to Carolina even without ED protection. Since they don’t have other great options.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Demko is likely to be shopped, but he should not be. In a capped league, he's the best choice.

Why does Markstrom take a 4 year deal? Is he thinking that the term Jay Beagle received at 34 is what he's due at 30 years of age?

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Markstrom is too old, we need to go with youth...keep Demko. There should be no second thought to this. The decision should be instant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad