Player Discussion Jacob Markstrom

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Sign him so he and Demko battle it out next season for the Canucks primary starter job. Most importantly, trade one for improvement for that team.

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
We can’t be competitive long term paying a goalie anything over 5mill IMHO

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gotta let Marky walk at this point, or...I have a feeling Benning will just trade Demko though cause his value is at an all time high
Lots of goalie movement this off season. Lehner, Holtby, Crawford are ufa. Pitt is looking to move Murray. Rumours abound that Toronto will move Andersen. Korpisalo is also rumoured to be available. Who knows what the situation with Rask is going to be. Rangers could move Georgiev.

not sure the market via trade is that good.

cap situation should make the club lean towards Demko. Have to save money somewhere.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
As an outsider this seems similar to Luongo and Schneider. The established vet and the young BC goalie entering the picture. As a BC fan, very happy for Demko. Good luck in game 7.

Reactions: xtr3m

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I am not one bit surprised about Demko - I've always said he's gonna be a stud.........it just not might be consistently for a few more years but this is a great glimpse of the future.

I still think Benning is gonna have blinders on and lock in on re-signing Marky but this can't help but give us leverage and some freedom to walk away if need be (not that Benning has been great at walking away from things he gets fixated on).

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Gotta let Marky walk at this point, or...I have a feeling Benning will just trade Demko though cause his value is at an all time high
Sure, why not trade the younger guy with .47 GAA and a .990 Save % and keep the older goalie with a 2.85 GAA and a .915 Save %? Makes a lot of sense!

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Markstrom will make millions elsewhere, tons of teams are looking for an established #1 goaltender like Edmonton or Calgary.

Demko earned the right to be a #1 starter and is only costing 1 million which is gold in a flat cap era.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I am not one bit surprised about Demko - I've always said he's gonna be a stud.........it just not might be consistently for a few more years but this is a great glimpse of the future.

I still think Benning is gonna have blinders on and lock in on re-signing Marky but this can't help but give us leverage and some freedom to walk away if need be (not that Benning has been great at walking away from things he gets fixated on).

When is the expansion draft? I think it’s a fair bet that if the Canucks keep Markstrom and Demko the unprotected one will be taken in the draft.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It is funny how quick the narrative has flipped in regards to keeping Marky or not. I don't think two games makes me think Demko > Markstrom but with the contract Markstrom is likely to demand, we may have to go the other route and roll with Demko.

Recency bias seems to be flowing through the board a bit too much IMO - Markstrom played at a Vezina caliber for arguably the last 2 seasons behind this shitty defense and shitty defensive system. He is the reason we are even relevant.

Markstrom's demand and age have to be factored in, but it took two games from Demko for fans to be completely fine with him walking.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It is funny how quick the narrative has flipped in regards to keeping Marky or not. I don't think two games makes me think Demko > Markstrom but with the contract Markstrom is likely to demand, we may have to go the other route and roll with Demko.

Recency bias seems to be flowing through the board a bit too much IMO - Markstrom played at a Vezina caliber for arguably the last 2 seasons behind this shitty defense and shitty defensive system. He is the reason we are even relevant.

Markstrom's demand and age have to be factored in, but it took two games from Demko for fans to be completely fine with him walking.
You feel a bit more at ease once you see the younger guy play well in a key situation.

mat worst it gives the Canucks the option to hold their ground on contract negotiations.

Reactions: mossey3535

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You feel a bit more at ease once you see the younger guy play well in a key situation.

mat worst it gives the Canucks the option to hold their ground on contract negotiations.

Yeah, not saying I don't like Demko or don't believe in him, but this isn't uncommon for players to play unreal for a short stint. This is why I wanted to see a 55/45 split this season, to see what Demko can do throughout a season. If Demko gets shelled tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised to see the narrative shift back to Markstrom's favour. :laugh:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Not for the people that already were ok with Markstrom walking.

The money and term he’s going to get does not mix well with the cap issues this team already has here. Demko offers them a reprieve.

Remember, Markstrom too has to agree to re-sign here at the number the Canucks want to sign him to. Far from a forgone conclusion.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not for the people that already were ok with Markstrom walking.

The money and term he’s going to get does not mix well with the cap issues this team already has here. Demko offers them a reprieve.

Remember, Markstrom too has to agree to re-sign here at the number the Canucks want to sign him to. Far from a forgone conclusion.

Yeah I agree. We don't have a Tanev replacement, so we can't let him walk. Can we afford to let Toffoli walk? Do we have a replacement for him next year (Hog/Pod in a few years)?

We have a replacement for Markstrom, which probably makes it the obvious decision, but it's tough to just watch Marky walk after how he has played here the last two seasons. This problem is good to have, but it sucks.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah I agree. We don't have a Tanev replacement, so we can't let him walk. Can we afford to let Toffoli walk? Do we have a replacement for him next year (Hog/Pod in a few years)?

We have a replacement for Markstrom, which probably makes it the obvious decision, but it's tough to just watch Marky walk after how he has played here the last two seasons. This problem is good to have, but it sucks.
You keep markstrom and you use Demko who has played insane as a trade piece to get rid of some cap before the expansion draft is my idea

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

It’s a tough situation because if they do re-sign Markstrom and he tails off in 2-3 years, then they might be lamenting the fact that they just let Demko go.

The prudent move is to let Markstrom walk if he doesn’t give them the number they want. Do not over-extend for him.

This is a flawed team that has made him more important than he should otherwise be. Build the team and don’t rely on the crutch.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I'd hate to lose Markstrom for Free. You could get assets for Demko and sign Markstrom using you're already limited assets. Although Demko's age matching this core groups window much better and you've been grooming him for years. It's really a difficult decision to make.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
age factor will be the case. i don't think spending money on a 30yr goalie is the right thing to do... its gonna hurt them in the long term.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It’s a tough situation because if they do re-sign Markstrom and he tails off in 2-3 years, then they might be lamenting the fact that they just let Demko go.

The prudent move is to let Markstrom walk if he doesn’t give them the number they want. Do not over-extend for him.

This is a flawed team that has made him more important than he should otherwise be. Build the team and don’t rely on the crutch.

Demko fits the age of the core as well. Would be tough to have Marky tail off in a few years and possibility need a replacement. Everything is pointing to keeping Demko and letting Markstrom walk, but it didn't seem like this was the consensus a week ago.

Just found it funny.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The most likely scenario is that Marky still gets signed and they deal with this in the next off-season. It's only a matter of how much...

Reactions: Shootica

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad