Jacob Josefson - sent to Albany!

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
So now that Tedenby and Josefson are both in Albany, are we immediately looking for a new whipping boy to run out of town? This is insufferable.

Edit:
As for Josefson, I was hoping he'd get the Matteau/Larsson treatment and watch a few games from the press box with key players to target.
I hope Matteau gets sent back soon so we can have both Loki/Josefson in the lineup.

Matteau benefits from being sent back, Josefson doesn't.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Please tell me this isn't commonly believed on this forum...

He's a very good 4th liner. He's been fine are you kidding me? He's nearly outproduced Zajac for Christ's sake and he's a hell of a pk'er. He makes peanuts too. Now he shouldn't be on a 3rd line, but he's a perfect 4th liner. I'm pretty pissed that people believe this...:shakehead

I couldn't disagree more. He is not outproducing Zajac (who by the way is a plus 7 as a two-way center) and Gionta is not a good PKer as well. So what if he makes peanuts? He loses physical battles nine times out of 10 and is one of the reasons the line he plays on is getting outshot at an incredibly healthy margin.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I couldn't disagree more. He is not outproducing Zajac (who by the way is a plus 7 as a two-way center) and Gionta is not a good PKer as well. So what if he makes peanuts? He loses physical battles nine times out of 10 and is one of the reasons the line he plays on is getting outshot at an incredibly healthy margin.

Getting Zubrus back and/or making a trade to push the 3rd line down to the 4th line is an easy way to reduce the current deficiencies of that line.

Not chasing another guy back to Albany.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Gionta is playing in over his head right now. However, he is a really good fourth liner and a good energy guy. He had a good start to the year and has cooled down of late, but it's magnified by him playing a third line role.

I don't have a problem with him playing PK, but after the first several games, when everyone caught up to JJ and Gionta's fresh legs, having both out on the same unit was costing us more than it was helping us. They need to put Gionta with a more stable guy like Zajac. Zajac-Gionta, Ponikarovski-Elias, Henrique-Kovalchuk

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Gionta is playing in over his head right now. However, he is a really good fourth liner and a good energy guy. He had a good start to the year and has cooled down of late, but it's magnified by him playing a third line role.

I don't have a problem with him playing PK, but after the first several games, when everyone caught up to JJ and Gionta's fresh legs, having both out on the same unit was costing us more than it was helping us. They need to put Gionta with a more stable guy like Zajac. Zajac-Gionta, Ponikarovski-Elias, Henrique-Kovalchuk

Gionta should never see the PK. Ever. It's not his fault. He just isn't good enough to match up against a high-octane offense in a man-disadvantage.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Do you know what the word nearly means? Keep in mind Zajac plays with Kovy and makes 5.7 mil a year. Gionta is fine on the 4th and good on the pk. Maybe they're getting outplayed because they aren't a 3rd line, ever think of that? How in the world is Gio getting blamed for our struggles?

edit: and 6 is greater than 5 last time I checked.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I still don't get why people are celebrating what's supposed to be one of our better young players getting sent down. Most teams don't celebrate the failure of their players.

I don't think many people are 'celebrating' per se. I think a couple of people here can't wait to be I told you sos, and the silly Tedenby fan war vs. Josefson doesn't help. Well I hope you guys are happy, both are in the same place now. In Albany, needing to improve their game to be an NHL player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Im a big fan of Jasofsen, but he was clearly not playing well, and with Lokti, why not make a change?

Do hope that Lokti is not stuck on a line with Barch, like JJ it's tough for an offensive player to get it going when your linemates are not good offensive players.

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
Gionta is a great ****ing 4th-liner. He's tenacious, aggressive and plays bigger than he is. He's speedy, fearless and a above-average forechecker. He's a good PKer.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA

Gio is playing his ass off and deserves to be where ever Pete feels he should .

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA

So he gets knocked off the puck a few times now he is not a good PKer did you ever post that about Zach because he got knocked off the puck plenty in the same situations.

apice3*

I'm not sure I agree with them being a "good" defensive line. They are aggressive and forecheck well but they are getting outshot by a pretty significant margin when they are on the ice, which is surprising, considering the fact they do tend to be able to sustain a decent puck possession game in the offensive zone, especially with Bernier. They are quite simply a 4th line and need to play less minutes and be used strategically and hopefully this will improve.

Getting Gionta out of the lineup would be a bonus as well.

This line is the perfect example of why even CORSI and other shot stats don't tell the whole story.

They can get pinned and outshot all the time, but I always feel comfortable with them out there because they have great chemistry and self awareness. They give up shots, but I feel like they never really give up easy chances.

And getting Gionta out of the lineup is a ridiculous suggestion.

apice3*

Gionta should never see the PK. Ever. It's not his fault. He just isn't good enough to match up against a high-octane offense in a man-disadvantage.

Someone needs to confirm this if true, but I read a few days ago (before Isles game last night) that the PK was at 100% with Gionta on the ice.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Someone needs to confirm this if true, but I read a few days ago (before Isles game last night) that the PK was at 100% with Gionta on the ice.

As far as I know it was true till Friday (my informal check of boxscores of the 14 PPG against), but he's been on the ice for the last four since.

I have no idea where to check to see who was on the ice during what PK other than manually clicking onto every game summary though...it did seem like Josefson and Sal/Volch were on ice for a lot of them though.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I could've sworn him and JJ were out there for a goal recently.

I'll check it out....

Behind the net says he has been out for 2. Salvador and Volchenkov tops with 6 GA....

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People are getting on Gionta now?! Gionta has been awesome. That whole line has been awesome. What ****ing games are you watching?

It's more of an NJDevs argument than this place, since that site goes bat**** crazy about CORSI and the fancy-shmancy stats and there's been a huge anti-Gionta thread there :P (well more accurately one of the stat geeks getting on him and most of the others not agreeing)

That place is too reliant on numbers, this place is too reliant on personality issues with posters going after players other posters like for the sake of being contrarian.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
It's more of an NJDevs argument than this place, since that site goes bat**** crazy about CORSI and the fancy-shmancy stats and there's been a huge anti-Gionta thread there :P (well more accurately one of the stat geeks getting on him and most of the others not agreeing)

That place is too reliant on numbers, this place is too reliant on personality issues with posters going after players other posters like for the sake of being contrarian.

It goes both ways, but it's not always just being a contrarian. Many posters are also unable to accurately accept criticism of one of their "faves".

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I have no problem with Josefson being sent down. I don't think he's been horrid, he hasn't been a liability. You always want to see more from him, though. He's still too slight. It was an opportunity to call Loktionov up and see what he brings to the table.

I have more of an issue with the way Matteau is being handled. He's 18, he needs to play games. Now that we've brought in Ponikarovsky, Zubrus eventually coming back, and guys like Josefson and Loktionov that you can call up on a dime, how many games is he really going to see? There's only so much you can learn in a pressbox.

Last edited:

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
A thought is we can send Gio back down and put Josefson in that role. But we danger breaking up the chemistry of that 4th line.

I really do like Bernier

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It goes both ways, but it's not always just being a contrarian. Many posters are also unable to accurately accept criticism of one of their "faves".

What else would you call people getting on Josefson interjecting 'Tedenby never got that chance'? WTF does Josefson's play or icetime have to do with Tedenby? Like I said earlier in the thread, they're two different players at two different positions with two different roles, but it's become du jour around here that if you love Tedenby you have to get on Josefson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad