Jacob Josefson - sent to Albany!

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Josefson scored a goal, had 2 shots, 0 PIMs, and was even in his first game back in Albany. He played on a line with Joe Whitney and Matt Anderson.

Albany lost the game 5 to 3.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
IMO he hasn't done anything to prove he belongs with the big club. He's done a bunch of little things well except score, which he hasn't done at all really. At this point he needed to take the next step. He had an opportunity, albeit a short one, in a ton of different spots and never seized the moment. Maybe he needs to go to the A and reevaluate his game. Sadly, I had incredibly high hopes for both him and Teddy this year. This seems to be a recurring issue though for me with guys like Bergfors, Zharkov, Tedenby, and now Josefson.

It's kind of strange when I see Zharkov and Josefson mentioned in the same sentence. Zharkov has close to zero offensive talent at pro level. He is a dime a dozen player in KHL aswell. Josefson on the other hand always was a scorer and a quality playmaker. Even if he busts in NHL which is unlikely, he will be a big name in Europe unlike a career KHL 3rd liner Zharkov.

People who are writing him off and saying he will be a poor mans Sami Pahlsson at best. That's a trend with swedish forwards, they start slow. Franzen was a 20 pts scorer in his first 2 years(and he was like 25 when he was a rookie), Sedin brothers were average 2nd liners at best until they were like 26. Even Zetterberg lost his Calder Trophy to Barret Jackman. Loui Eriksson played several seasons in AHL.

Patrik Hornqvist, was a big star in SEL, came to NHL and got demotd to AHL. Made the team only next year.
Marcus Kruger started very slow with Chacago, now he is an important player for them.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
This season has been the best that Josefson has looked - his has been pretty obviously a much stronger all around player and he is playing with a lot more confidence

His only problem was really his production but we'll probably see him back up Thursday assuming Carter is out

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
No the problem is almost everyone is rooting for someone to fail. A bunch are footing for Yayo to fail because of the stupid Tedy vs JJ thing. And others are rooting for Loki to fail so JJ can come right back.

I fear like there's some kind of truth in that comment.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
doesn't Josefson have a grand total of 1 total season played? A bit early to write him off.

84 NHL games, 20 Pts. Now in his 4th Post Draft season

David Ullstrom

41 NHL games, 13 Pts. 5th PD Season. NHL Player

Mattias Tedenby

109 GP, 29 Pts. 5th PDS

Mikael Backlund

146 GP, 50 Pts. 6th PDS

Patrik Berglund

323 GP, 171 Pts. 7th PDS NHL Player
(Also drafted in this draft: Nick Backstrom)

Josefson has 3 more seasons before I lose hope in him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm afraid if Carter is out Janssen gets called back up to let Yayo find his game some more. :help:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's kind of strange when I see Zharkov and Josefson mentioned in the same sentence. Zharkov has close to zero offensive talent at pro level. He is a dime a dozen player in KHL aswell. Josefson on the other hand always was a scorer and a quality playmaker. Even if he busts in NHL which is unlikely, he will be a big name in Europe unlike a career KHL 3rd liner Zharkov.

People who are writing him off and saying he will be a poor mans Sami Pahlsson at best. That's a trend with swedish forwards, they start slow. Franzen was a 20 pts scorer in his first 2 years(and he was like 25 when he was a rookie), Sedin brothers were average 2nd liners at best until they were like 26. Even Zetterberg lost his Calder Trophy to Barret Jackman. Loui Eriksson played several seasons in AHL.

Patrik Hornqvist, was a big star in SEL, came to NHL and got demotd to AHL. Made the team only next year.
Marcus Kruger started very slow with Chacago, now he is an important player for them.

I'll give you that Jo has more offensive upside than Zharkov, but Zharkov was faster, a better passer and better defensively (though not by miles). The problem they both have is that they can't finish. They are generally in the right place at the right time and make the correct decisions with and without the puck. It's actually quite easy to compare the two because they are very similar.

Now Josefson plays a tougher position and was a much higher pick for a reason. He will get more time to develop and find his game and for good reason. He'll be back.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I'll give you that Jo has more offensive upside than Zharkov, but Zharkov was faster, a better passer and better defensively (though not by miles). The problem they both have is that they can't finish. They are generally in the right place at the right time and make the correct decisions with and without the puck. It's actually quite easy to compare the two because they are very similar.

Now Josefson plays a tougher position and was a much higher pick for a reason. He will get more time to develop and find his game and for good reason. He'll be back.

They are not similar. It's like compare Cam Janssen vs Tedenby. Similar, cause they can't score in NHL.

Better passer? No, no, just no. I'll give you that I haven't seen him in AHL, but he's really not creative in KHL. And JJ was a good playmaker in Europe.

Now, I think JJ went to NA one year too soon, but still, he shouldn't be compared to Zharkov. Talentwise there's a gap between them.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
He'll be back soon. This is a dual purpose stint. 1) confidence building and 2) a look at Loki

All part of the data inputs for Lou's CPU before he runs the 20 game trade analysis.

I expect he'll be back soon. Yayo doesn't seem like a quitter, he'll take this kick in the ass the way it is meant to be taken, not get down on himself.

No the problem is almost everyone is rooting for someone to fail. A bunch are footing for Yayo to fail because of the stupid Tedy vs JJ thing. And others are rooting for Loki to fail so JJ can come right back.

I think this is painting with a broad brush. Maybe posters have a favoured player between the two of them, but I'm sure we'd all be happy if either of them emerged as a strong player for us, because it would improve the team. Nobody is rooting for one or the other to bust.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry for asking again, but this is the last year of Josefson's ELC. If he's given a two way contract for next year, is he exempt from waivers? Or if he's sent down does he have to clear waivers?

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

There are those of us who truly wish for both to succeed - and not at the expense of any other roster player.
I have both of them penciled in as NHL players. I don't like to write players off that quickly.

They both have a lot to prove, but what player didn't at 21/22 years old?
It's not as if these were consensus top 5 picks that were ready to make an impact at 18.

With patience, they both have plenty of talent that could contribute at the NHL level.
Perhaps not in the way we imagine - just look at Steve Bernier. He couldn't leave up to his draft position, but has more than excelled in the role that was given to him here.

Jedi

Jul 20, 2010
North Jersey
People need to understand - being happy that JJ got sent down is NOT the same thing as rooting against him. At all.

JJ was playing poorly of late at all facets, and given we know he has skills that is likely a mental issue. And playing 4th line minutes for another 30 games, which is all that's left of the season, probably isn't going to do much for his development.

Let him get his mental game back in the minors. This isn't the season for us to pray that JJ will voodoo magic himself into being a positive player for us.

Also this is the perfect time to give Lokti a small trial run, see if he fits with the team in any way. (note I'm talking more about mental and style fit - there's not really that much time to evaluate his talent, too short a season).

Next year is the year to try out JJ longer because it's a full season. So unless injuries force us to call JJ back up, I'm fine with keeping JJ down. And I'm definitely hoping he returns and is part of this organization's future.
I hope Lotki and Yayo both succeed. We need them to at this point, especially if we don't trade for a forward.
Agreed. That's the best case scenario, and what all fans should be rooting for.

These people complaining about hating on JJ, seem to be doing the exact same thing hating on Lokti. It's just not productive.

Let Lou do his thing. I'm confident he'll make the right moves - as long as injuries don't screw us over too bad.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
People need to understand - being happy that JJ got sent down is NOT the same thing as rooting against him. At all.

JJ was playing poorly of late at all facets, and given we know he has skills that is likely a mental issue. And playing 4th line minutes for another 30 games, which is all that's left of the season, probably isn't going to do much for his development.

Let him get his mental game back in the minors. This isn't the season for us to pray that JJ will voodoo magic himself into being a positive player for us.

Also this is the perfect time to give Lokti a small trial run, see if he fits with the team in any way. (note I'm talking more about mental and style fit - there's not really that much time to evaluate his talent, too short a season).

Next year is the year to try out JJ longer because it's a full season. So unless injuries force us to call JJ back up, I'm fine with keeping JJ down. And I'm definitely hoping he returns and is part of this organization's future.

Agreed. That's the best case scenario, and what all fans should be rooting for.

These people complaining about hating on JJ, seem to be doing the exact same thing hating on Lokti. It's just not productive.

Let Lou do his thing. I'm confident he'll make the right moves - as long as injuries don't screw us over too bad.

Amen.

Just because I feel like this is best for the team at the current time doesn't mean I'm rooting against Josefson. I'm a ****ing Devils fan, I want him to turn into the best player he can be, but right now he simply isn't and I don't want an offensive black hole centering our 3rd line.

apice3*

Sorry for asking again, but this is the last year of Josefson's ELC. If he's given a two way contract for next year, is he exempt from waivers? Or if he's sent down does he have to clear waivers?

JJ loses waiver exempt status after his 160th career game (including playoffs) or after his 4th season of being under contract.

He has played 90 games so far and this is his 3rd year under contract.

Next year he will be exempt from waivers until game #160. He will be waiver eligible regardless of games played after the 2013-14 season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
JJ loses waiver exempt status after his 160th career game (including playoffs) or after his 4th season of being under contract.

He has played 90 games so far and this is his 3rd year under contract.

Next year he will be exempt from waivers until game #160. He will be waiver eligible regardless of games played after next season.

Alright thanks for that. So that means Josefson, Tedenby, and even Henrique will still be exempt at least at the start of next season.

I'm assuming Larsson would be too regardless since he's still on an entry level? He could pass the 160 mark next year before his entry level expires.

apice3*

Alright thanks for that. So that means Josefson, Tedenby, and even Henrique will still be exempt at least at the start of next season.

I'm assuming Larsson would be too regardless since he's still on an entry level? He could pass the 160 mark next year before his entry level expires.

I'm pretty sure the ELC doesn't have to do with waivers at all. It only has to do with sliding years. Larsson would be eligible for waiver after 160 games. That being said, I think his Albany career is over.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure the ELC doesn't have to do with waivers at all. It only has to do with sliding years. Larsson would be eligible for waiver after 160 games. That being said, I think his Albany career is over.

Yeah I think so too, and the same goes for Henrique.

I'm fine with Josefson in Albany because we can mess around with Loktionov for the time being. They say Josefson will be back up this year, but I think that depends on injuries and possible acquisitions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad