Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thomson's skating right now is ahead of JBD's. It probably always will be. Thomson can pivot and close really well.
I think JBD should watch Zub.. I think they are similar . Not flashy. Smart players that need to use good body position to defend. Zub is outstanding at gaining leverage and body position on puck retrievals and puck battles down low. He makes a simple effective tape to tape first pass. Thomson is in a way more athletic , more like Zaitsev with his skating although he already plays with more composure with the puck.
Its hard to play D at the NHL level. There is a lot to process, quickly.

I thought Thomson accounted for himself really well on this callup. Brown, Mete, MDZ have by no means been better defensively .. Those guys are who they are though and don't have it in them to become good quality NHL players. This roster with the abysmal Dzone play we've seen can put a lot of pressure on young defenders that can't be properly sheltered to grow up in the NHL. Sending him down is probably best for him and the team in the long run.

Not sure JBD gets or earns the same amount of rope we saw Thomson get.. I hope he does. He isn't as aggressive and he doesn't skate quite as well but he uses his head to be in the right spot. Have to see how he does. I think DJ notices and likes the aggressive play more regardless of outcome so I think JBD will have that to deal with.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
JBD is a solid player and doesn't need anyone else to make him look good.

He was really sheltered last year, hopefully DJ gives him some tougher matchups!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Love this callup. Clearly, him and Lassi , and seeing how they look, will clearly affect what piece they will try and acquire in the offseason

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Love this callup. Clearly, him and Lassi , and seeing how they look, will clearly affect what piece they will try and acquire in the offseason

We have Dorion don't forget. Not so clearly from my perspective. Although one would think that train of thought should be part of the approach. The evaluation is also part of the problem. I predict the outcome will be that Dorion will determine/expect/hope that Lassi's game is ready for the NHL and he will get penciled into a RD spot along with Zaitsev. Sanderson will be penciled into a spot on LD with Chabot. JBD won't be far behind and could be evaluated to be ready as well. Brannstrom is still around to compete for a bottom pair spot. That would leave a bottom pairing 6/7 D man which we will be able to target. We will want a big physical guy to be able to protect the kids if they run into trouble. Brown could get extended.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

I just hope management doesn't think that both of them stepping in next year can solve our defensive woes and use it as a reason to not try and acquire another top 4 D

Reactions: DrEasy and coladin

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
We have Dorion don't forget. Not so clearly from my perspective. Although one would think that train of thought should be part of the approach. The evaluation is also part of the problem. I predict the outcome will be that Dorion will determine/expect/hope that Lassi's game is ready for the NHL and he will get penciled into a RD spot along with Zaitsev. Sanderson will be penciled into a spot on LD with Chabot. JBD won't be far behind and could be evaluated to be ready as well. Brannstrom is still around to compete for a bottom pair spot. That would leave a bottom pairing 6/7 D man which we will be able to target. We will want a big physical guy to be able to protect the kids if they run into trouble. Brown could get extended.

I agree 140% but can we get a useful defenseman who can actually play defense...lol Jacob Troubla please.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Really rooting for him, if Lassi and JBD both become serviceable top 4 D that puts the sens in a really good spot. Right shot D that can actually play are just so rare. Ask a desperate Edmonton....

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Dorion probably looking to trade JBD now

That's the thing with Dorion, he's always thinking a few steps ahead of us. He doesn't build a proper NHL defense so he knew Murray would eventually have to go the Belleville and be the "perfect mentor". 25 M$ well invested

In the meantime :

1) More starts for Gustavsson
2) Let opponents use Forsberg as a scoring chances punching ball
3) Tank
4) Draft Joakim Kemell
5) Profit

think-smart.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Zub

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That's the thing with Dorion, he's always thinking a few steps ahead of us. He doesn't build a proper NHL defense so he knew Murray would eventually have to go the Belleville and be the "perfect mentor". 25 M$ well invested

In the meantime :

1) More starts for Gustavsson
2) Let opponents use Forsberg as a scoring chances punching ball
3) Tank
4) Draft Joakim Kemell
5) Profit

think-smart.gif
Feel obliged to insert a ;)

It would be great if this was all by design along the lines that you've illustrated in your post.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I missed last night's game, how did he look?

Pretty steady to me. Lots of plays that show his intelligence. He made one nice play that stands out in my memory on a puck retrieval with Farabee bearing down on him to shield the puck with his body and use angles to move it up. It’s also nice to have a guy with the intelligence to keep the puck moving up the ice and hold the zone.

I just hope he’s able to transform his body and add another 10lbs, hopefully over the summer.

He just doesn’t look strong enough to hold his ground as a top 4. He’s the listed as the same size as Thomson but you can see Thomson is stronger.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Pretty steady to me. Lots of plays that show his intelligence. He made one nice play that stands out in my memory on a puck retrieval with Farabee bearing down on him to shield the puck with his body and use angles to move it up. It’s also nice to have a guy with the intelligence to keep the puck moving up the ice and hold the zone.

I just hope he’s able to transform his body and add another 10lbs, hopefully over the summer.

He just doesn’t look strong enough to hold his ground as a top 4. He’s the listed as the same size as Thomson but you can see Thomson is stronger.
He's listed as 6 ft, 190 lbs. But yes, another 7 or 8 pounds of weight & mostly muscle if it doesn't effect his speed or agility would help.

Reactions: Bileur

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
IDK, he looked slow to me. Not in terms of reaction, but actual straight-line speed. He doesn't have any plus abilities, which makes me think he's going to be a bottom pairing D if he does stick in the NHL.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Thomson looked better than JBD but its only his first game since being recalled.

Both need a solid year in the AHL and then try and make the jump to the NHL.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah he looked pretty good but you can see that he needs to be stronger when he’s battling with bigger forwards in front of the net.

There were times where it looked like he was the one contained in front of our net.

Gotta live it to learn though, and his defensive fundamentals look good. Might be the UND showing :)

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Thomson's skating right now is ahead of JBD's. It probably always will be. Thomson can pivot and close really well.
I think JBD should watch Zub.. I think they are similar . Not flashy. Smart players that need to use good body position to defend. Zub is outstanding at gaining leverage and body position on puck retrievals and puck battles down low. He makes a simple effective tape to tape first pass. Thomson is in a way more athletic , more like Zaitsev with his skating although he already plays with more composure with the puck.
Its hard to play D at the NHL level. There is a lot to process, quickly.

I thought Thomson accounted for himself really well on this callup. Brown, Mete, MDZ have by no means been better defensively .. Those guys are who they are though and don't have it in them to become good quality NHL players. This roster with the abysmal Dzone play we've seen can put a lot of pressure on young defenders that can't be properly sheltered to grow up in the NHL. Sending him down is probably best for him and the team in the long run.

Not sure JBD gets or earns the same amount of rope we saw Thomson get.. I hope he does. He isn't as aggressive and he doesn't skate quite as well but he uses his head to be in the right spot. Have to see how he does. I think DJ notices and likes the aggressive play more regardless of outcome so I think JBD will have that to deal with.

Pretty good assessment & I think not next yr, but maybe the yr afterwards it could come down to who makes the best decisions & the quickest between those two.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Honestly everyone is saying JBD and thompson need another yr in the AHL which i dont disagree with but i think both of them looked better then MDZ and Mete

Reactions: NB613

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Honestly everyone is saying JBD and thompson need another yr in the AHL which i dont disagree with but i think both of them looked better then MDZ and Mete
Both look good with Chabot, but on another pairing not that good. MDZ and Mete look good too with Chabot little time play with him

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad