Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
A year ago I said to be a top 4 d man he needs to improve on 2 things:

1) Footspeed
2) Physical play

Both still apply. Smart defender, just needs to work on those two above to be bonafide top 4.

I feel as though the physical maturity will come, but his skating is what will define him as a top 4 tweener, in the mold of Holden, or a legit top 4 like Oduya in his prime.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Both look good with Chabot, but on another pairing not that good. MDZ and Mete look good too with Chabot little time play with him
Mete was actually atrocious with Chabot that game and they moved JBD up into his spot. Look at the icetime dispersal by period.

JBD looked better to me than what I'm reading here. Very smart cerebral player, handles pressure well. Like Thomson he is better than all the D currently on the team not named Chabot, Zub or Holden. However that isnt really saying much. That also doesn't mean he shouldn't go back to the AHL, he should. He needs more development time, the posters that said he needs to get faster and stronger aren't wrong either. If he does he is going to be a solid second pair D man his hockey IQ is very strong. However he still needs to develop physically.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Mete was actually atrocious with Chabot that game and they moved JBD up into his spot. Look at the icetime dispersal by period.

JBD looked better to me than what I'm reading here. Very smart cerebral player, handles pressure well. Like Thomson he is better than all the D currently on the team not named Chabot, Zub or Holden. However that isnt really saying much. That also doesn't mean he shouldn't go back to the AHL, he should. He needs more development time, the posters that said he needs to get faster and stronger aren't wrong either. If he does he is going to be a solid second pair D man his hockey IQ is very strong. However he still needs to develop physically.
I honestly see him as a Redden without the same offence once he develops his frame a little more.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
FJBxqTqWQAMI3du

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
JBD is confusing to me. I occasionally have seen a reliance on the stick and rushed decision making from him kind of like we used to see from Cowen. But he's usually very solid and was pretty beloved on a stacked UND team.

He needs to be making smart plays because he's more a sum of the parts kind of guy.

I would like him to use the body more when battling and work hard on developing a monster shot. He looks like he could play that style.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Shaky. But fine. Still trying to figure out what he is at the NHL level
He looked a bit nervous early in the first but I thought he cleaned up things after that. Maybe playing in front of family and friends had him thinking a bit too much.
As for what he'll be at this level, I think something similar to what we got out of DeMelo.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He looked a bit nervous early in the first but I thought he cleaned up things after that. Maybe playing in front of family and friends had him thinking a bit too much.
As for what he'll be at this level, I think something similar to what we got out of DeMelo.

What do you think of a Methot comparison? Seems like thats what we are trying to groom him to be

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah that’s fair he did improve after the first.
I meant maybe he’s still trying to figure out what he is at the nhl level. What’s the ideal partner for him? Questions that will be answered.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What do you think of a Methot comparison? Seems like thats what we are trying to groom him to be
He's never going to be 6'4, 230 lbs throwing massive hipchecks, clearing the net and dominating board battles the way Methot did. He can maybe skate like Methot, and read plays like him, be a defense first guy that can move the puck, but unlike Methot I expect him to do more in the OZ than pound it into the corner the second he crosses the blue line.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and edguy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Too much size and physicality difference ... I think more Demelo or Zub. I think he plays very similar to Zub.. Zub is really smart and he has more strength but as JBD gains strength I think its more in that mold. Neither Demelo nor Zub are very physical. The do it with their brains to be in good position and to gain body position vs out muscle or use their size to dominate the other player. JBD in his past 2 games has also jumped up offensively when he could pick his spots. I think that aspect is more like Zub than Demelo.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Both JBD and Thomson look like they can be NHL defenders, but ideally we don't rush them and give them time to develop and hone their skills. Thomson is little closer to making the transition I think and probably has a little better tool kit. I think minimally JBD needs another year of growth and development with Thomson probably a bit under that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No idea. I thought thomson and zub both looked better with chabot. Small sample size with jbd.
Zub should look better . He's without question the better player. I like JBD with Chabot. I think Thomson's skating is better and II think he is a little further along. I guess from a pure athleticism pov I like Thomson but from an IQ pov I like JBD.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Thomson might be a more physical player defensively & JBD is a little better offensively reading plays & reacting. I see Thomson as a potential 3rd pairing player while I think JBD could play a 2nd line role just based on how they play & where they would fit best.

Right now Zub is the best RD on the team, but at some point they might want a little more offence with Chabot. This is how I see the defence play out at some point unless someone is traded or they draft a better RD.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - JBD
Kleven - Thomson/Guennette

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Shaky. But fine. Still trying to figure out what he is at the NHL level
Ya dont say? 21 year old rookie in his 10th NHL game.

He is much more mobile than Melo, I think people really need to be more patient with these players before they decide what they are going to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad