Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Could rent a place in Belleville and catch the games live. Best way to scout a player.

For 2 seasons in a row JBD was a 1st over the boards shut down guy. Thomson is a more fluid skater, has a better shot, can put up more points but is not as reliable defensively and Guenette started to eat into some of Thomson's PP time. Don't count Guenette out among the 3 of them.
I would like to see more of Guenette too as he seems to have good offensive skills..

Reactions: DrEasy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I was just trying to be positive at the time. JBD was not considered an above average skater at any point. At best it was considered average/passable.

Actually neither was Tychonick for that matter. Not sure what I was smoking when I posted that.

It was a dumb pick from a scouting staff that tried to be the smartest scouts in the room far too often.

I'm sorry man but if you cant read this and see the great irony I think you are probably smoking on the same pack

Reactions: JD1 and Golden_Jet

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We have enough small Dman. Nothing about JBD is remarkable enough to be an NHL full timer

You don't need to be "remarkable" to be in the NHL, yes compared to every hockey player on the planet but did you think that Josh Georges or Dylan DeMelo were remarkable when watching them? That's the type of potential JBD has. Nothing special but reliable defensive hockey.

Hope JBD grows a pair like Georges, now that'd be useful. He'd block a lot of shots with it

Reactions: bicboi64

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Could rent a place in Belleville and catch the games live. Best way to scout a player.

For 2 seasons in a row JBD was a 1st over the boards shut down guy. Thomson is a more fluid skater, has a better shot, can put up more points but is not as reliable defensively and Guenette started to eat into some of Thomson's PP time. Don't count Guenette out among the 3 of them.
Could be expensive to become an amateur scout. :)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I’m not arguing one way or the other about JBD or what he’s turned into. His skating was viewed as an asset, basically unanimously, prior to the draft. Mann mentions it, McKenzie and Button mentioned it, essentially every scouting report on the player mentioned it. It was one of the reasons he jumped 40 spots in the NHLCS rankings. Saying that he was never considered a mobile D, or strong skating D, is just factually incorrect.
Silly Bondra .... You think you're in a discussion about facts when you're actually battling a narrative

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Based on my viewings at previous development camps.

JBD - very dependable defensive defenceman who makes good decisions & should be partnered with a more offensive defenceman. Is a little more physical given his size, but also uses his stick effectively & plays a very good positional game & is a decent skater. Slightly better defensively.

Thomson - good skater, hard shot from the point, but not as good defensively & doesn't always make good decisions or good reads, could be more physical. Slightly better offensively.

Guennette - good skater, plays a decent defensive game & a decent offensive game. Needs to improve his positioning & reads but continues to improve his overall game. Slightly better two way D, not quite as good as JBD defensively, but slightly better offensively & not quite as good as Thomson offensively, but slightly better defensively. Could be a little more physical.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

JBD - very dependable defensive defenceman who makes good decisions & should be partnered with a more offensive defenceman. Is a little more physical given his size, but also uses his stick effectively & plays a very good positional game & is a decent skater. Slightly better defensively.

Thomson - good skater, hard shot from the point, but not as good defensively & doesn't always make good decisions or good reads, could be more physical. Slightly better offensively.

Guennette - good skater, plays a decent defensive game & a decent offensive game. Needs to improve his positioning & reads but continues to improve his overall game. Slightly better two way D, not quite as good as JBD defensively, but slightly better offensively & not quite as good as Thomson offensively, but slightly better defensively. Could be a little more physical.
None of Bernard-Docker, Thomson or Guennette have shown me that they are physically tough defencemen. Other than that I agree with your assessment. However I really liked Lassi when he came up for games; he really impressed me with his skating.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
None of Bernard-Docker, Thomson or Guennette have shown me that they are physically tough defencemen. Other than that I agree with your assessment. However I really liked Lassi when he came up for games; he really impressed me with his skating.
Thomson is a good skater & probably slightly better than JBD, but JBD is a decent skater too, especially backing up. Guennette is also a good skater & quicker in transition moving forward. Looking forward to seeing Kleven this summer. The biggest problem with our defence is that they are young like some of our forwards who are just now starting to figure it out. This team is going to get better every yr moving forward especially on defence & hopefully in net.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

That's my read to, though from limited viewing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lassi can look really promising in short bursts, he's got the best toolset of the bunch, but I really question his decision making at times.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Yeah spot on assessment. I still have Guenette as the best of the 3.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
JBD makes me think of Ceci, hopefully a good version thereof! What's a good comparison for Lassi? Chris Wideman?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Guenette has been a dark horse for a while and as a player who moved to D later in his career I am quite impressed by him.

His progression the last 2 years is significant and he takes a big jump in this 3rd year then we are looking pretty good for bottom pair RD. The completion is great for him and JBD to keep pushing each other.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad