Prospect Info: Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 3 year ELC signed

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Brannstrom never had Covid, he was in close contact, and had to quarantine for it, as per the rules, but never tested positive.

Exactly. That's my point.

He quarantined when he got here, then had to quarantine again because he came in contact

A month not on the ice. I think it was one practice before the team broke camp. A month off the ice, we're talking hours and hours and hours of skating to be ready to play nhl hockey

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Should be interesting how this plays out with JBD, I expect that by the time Sanderson arrives & is on the team that JBD could be his partner at some not to far future point.

Reactions: Cosmix

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Brannstrom never had Covid, he was in close contact, and had to quarantine for it, as per the rules, but never tested positive.

Yes that is what I was alluding to, my mistake. IIRC he was required to quarantine and only eligible to practice near the end of training camp. But shortly after that he got assigned to Belleville because they felt he lost too much training time (but I don’t think Belleville was practicing much then) and it took almost 3 weeks for them to recall Brannstrom after the start of the season.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
See the thing is....people can only react to what you post

Ok, so you clarified what you meant by "in spite of"

Toggle up a bit and look at what you posted. You said Brannstrom had covid and needed to recover

Maybe you can clarify what you mean by that because I've never seen anything that confirmed that Brannstrom had covid. Maybe it's me and I missed it. Perhaps you can provide a link to that cause i sure can't find one.

When perspective is based on falsehood you'll eventually find people aren't interested in understanding your perspective

yup I mixed that up, Brannstrom didn’t have COVID but rather had to quarantine due to close contact. My point though is that he got re-assigned to Belleville not playing any meaningful games when he should have been with the taxi squad practicing and getting up to speed. They waited almost 3 weeks to insert him. It’s not like he hadn’t played in over a year or something.

Going 1-8-1 with the vets is not a falsehood. Going 18-19-4 after benching the vets isn’t a falsehood. Using empirical data to suggest a correlation isn’t a falsehood. Being out-of-town now, I rely on radio podcasts and social media to get the pulse of the fanbase and it was absolutely suggested by several members that the fanbase was livid with the style of play and personnel decisions that *could* have forced the sens to play Brannstrom. I’m not saying that’s what happened and realize that’s speculation, but the fan uproar and media acknowledging it as a possibility is a fact though I agree it is likely not the case, but bringing it up is almost to question why the F it took so bloody long to make changes in the lineup. It was a philosophical change after that western Canada trip IMO

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
yup I mixed that up, Brannstrom didn’t have COVID but rather had to quarantine due to close contact. My point though is that he got re-assigned to Belleville not playing any meaningful games when he should have been with the taxi squad practicing and getting up to speed. They waited almost 3 weeks to insert him. It’s not like he hadn’t played in over a year or something.

Going 1-8-1 with the vets is not a falsehood. Going 18-19-4 after benching the vets isn’t a falsehood. Using empirical data to suggest a correlation isn’t a falsehood. Being out-of-town now, I rely on radio podcasts and social media to get the pulse of the fanbase and it was absolutely suggested by several members that the fanbase was livid with the style of play and personnel decisions that *could* have forced the sens to play Brannstrom. I’m not saying that’s what happened and realize that’s speculation, but the fan uproar and media acknowledging it as a possibility is a fact.

What did you want them to do? Put him into the lineup right away after not having skated for a month?

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
What did you want them to do? Put him into the lineup right away after not having skated for a month?

just said they should have had him on the taxi squad, practicing with the big club. I don’t think he needed to play right away but he prob needed another 7-10 days to get prepped. They lost 9 straight games over 2.5 weeks, I don’t understand why he wasn’t even on the western Canada road trip when he was done with quarantining before the end of training camp. Like I said, he was playing overseas, not like he was off for a whole year.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
just said they should have had him on the taxi squad, practicing with the big club. I don’t think he needed to play right away but he prob needed another 7-10 days to get prepped. They lost 9 straight games, I don’t understand why he wasn’t even on the western Canada road trip when he was done with quarantining before the end of training camp. Like I said, he was playing overseas, not like he was off for a whole year.

He was on the ice more being with the AHL team than he would have been being on the taxi squad. If the concern was his conditioning after having to isolate then being with the AHL group would be more beneficial.

Reactions: JD1

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really don't think that's fair.

DJ can have done a good job of developing the youth while still not making the playoffs.

The team is much improved over how things were at the start of the year. The coach has to get some credit.

The team has been notably better ever since the GM got rid of the old vets he acquired in the off-season. I don't complain too much about the coaching staff as I place much of the blame for poor performance on the GM who assembled this team. A coach is only as good as the players he has on the roster. However, I would prefer that DJ play the younger players rather than the old vets as they would benefit from playing the games and get better whereas the vets are in decline and getting worse and do not have a longer term future with the team.

Reactions: SensHulk and HzH

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
He was on the ice more being with the AHL team than he would have been being on the taxi squad. If the concern was his conditioning after having to isolate then being with the AHL group would be more beneficial.

why would his conditioning be in question after quarantining for 2 weeks and not contracting COVID? I mean I’m sure there’s a possibility I guess but I’m going to argue that getting NHL practices is more beneficial than AHL practices. If we were taking AHL games, that’s different. The old adage is that you always want your young players playing.

My guess is that they wanted him to get a proper training camp experience so they sent him to Belleville but why wouldn’t they call him up sooner? NHL training camps were like 2 weeks tops (if that)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really don't think that's fair.

DJ can have done a good job of developing the youth while still not making the playoffs.

The team is much improved over how things were at the start of the year. The coach has to get some credit.

Youth would develop faster if they played instead of old vets who did play.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
why would his conditioning be in question after quarantining for 2 weeks and not contracting COVID? I mean I’m sure there’s a possibility I guess but I’m going to argue that getting NHL practices is more beneficial than AHL practices. If we were taking AHL games, that’s different. The old adage is that you always want your young players playing.

My guess is that they wanted him to get a proper training camp experience so they sent him to Belleville but why wouldn’t they call him up sooner? NHL training camps were like 2 weeks tops (if that)

I mean he had quarantine for 2 weeks prior to camp and shortly after camp started he was a close contact. He pretty much spent a month doing limited activities. As a member of the taxi squad he wouldn't be a full participant in practice and with off days, game days, travel days etc, his time on ice would be limited. By practicing with the Belleville group he was able to get on the ice more frequently and he could more attention from the staff down there.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Branstrom and the coaching staff have already both explained that EB was told that he would be back in the line up as soon as the team returned from the road trip, and he was.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

He quarantined on his arrival in ottawa, got out of quarantine and basically went right back in

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Branstrom and the coaching staff have already both explained that EB was told that he would be back in the line up as soon as the team returned from the road trip, and he was.

that doesn’t make it the correct move. Good for them to stick to their plan, they have a nice losing streak to hang their hat on as well. I choose to hold DJ Smith and Dorion accountable for those decisions that led to said 9-game losing streak

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How did he go right back in? He got demoted after his quarantine was completed for 3 weeks before playing a single game.

He had to quarantine prior to camp like all other players when they arrived in Ottawa and on the first day of camp he was a close contact and had to quarantine again. He pretty much had a month in quarantine which is why he wasn't with the team to start the season, they wanted him to get on the ice as much as possible, that wasn't going to happen being on the taxi squad.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
He had to quarantine prior to camp like all other players when they arrived in Ottawa and on the first day of camp he was a close contact and had to quarantine again. He pretty much had a month in quarantine which is why he wasn't with the team to start the season, they wanted him to get on the ice as much as possible, that wasn't going to happen being on the taxi squad.

Ok maybe my point isn’t getting across because we seem to be nitpicking on irrelevant things now that seem to be getting away from the point.

I can clarify: regardless of management’s reasonings, they could have taken steps to get younger players like Brannstrom (and JBD which is how this whole topic started) to get into the lineup earlier especially when it was clear the team was struggling and desperately needed some help on the back-end. I don’t believe this is circumstantial, it is a philosophical difference in how they want to handle younger players that I don’t agree with. The fact that the team started doing so much better when they infused some youth into the lineup is enough for me to determine they were wrong in their strategy and yet it feels like the same philosophy rears it’s head even now so I worry whether this management has learned their lesson. And I’m all for beating out vets and I’m not advocating for rookies to get handed a spot either but I don’t buy completely that these players aren’t ready or deserve to even get a look.

now that we’re eliminated, maybe we finally see JBD get a shot. Glad the sens have cleaned up and improved their play all around but damn it this could have been done earlier. Brannstrom was still benched for how many games after going down to the AHL and dominating there, so why does the coaching staff get the benefit of the doubt when this has been a trend all through the season?

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Brannstrom is proving why he should not have been in the lineup sooner, there are times in games when he doesn't look ready still. He's young & learning, but I don't think this team can afford to have both Brannstrom & Mete on defence.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think Brannstrom is proving why he should not have been in the lineup sooner, there are times in games when he doesn't look ready still. He's young & learning, but I don't think this team can afford to have both Brannstrom & Mete on defence.

It might be worth it to push Brannstrom.

Definitely not ideal. Maybe gives Brannstrom time to spend some time in the AHL and when he's ready we trade Mete for a 3rd.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ok maybe my point isn’t getting across because we seem to be nitpicking on irrelevant things now that seem to be getting away from the point.

I can clarify: regardless of management’s reasonings, they could have taken steps to get younger players like Brannstrom (and JBD which is how this whole topic started) to get into the lineup earlier especially when it was clear the team was struggling and desperately needed some help on the back-end. I don’t believe this is circumstantial, it is a philosophical difference in how they want to handle younger players that I don’t agree with. The fact that the team started doing so much better when they infused some youth into the lineup is enough for me to determine they were wrong in their strategy and yet it feels like the same philosophy rears it’s head even now so I worry whether this management has learned their lesson. And I’m all for beating out vets and I’m not advocating for rookies to get handed a spot either but I don’t buy completely that these players aren’t ready or deserve to even get a look.

now that we’re eliminated, maybe we finally see JBD get a shot. Glad the sens have cleaned up and improved their play all around but damn it this could have been done earlier. Brannstrom was still benched for how many games after going down to the AHL and dominating there, so why does the coaching staff get the benefit of the doubt when this has been a trend all through the season?

You keep changing what your point is and you don't really seem to understand what transpired and what it takes to be an NHL player

Here's what happened:

Brannstrom arrived in Ottawa and had to quarantine for 14 days

He got out of quarantine and right away was in contact with someone with covid and and had to quarantine again

He got out of quarantine and had one practice with the team before the mini camp ended

Now...pay close attention because this is the part you're struggling with....after basically a month in a hotel he wasn't ready to play NHL hockey. That's not because he's a rookie, that's because the NHL is fast and requires significant endurance. He didn't get into a game until Montreal which was in fact SUPER FAST for a guy that spent 4 weeks in a hotel not skating.

Are we good on that now?

Carry on with whatever point you're trying to make

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

It's completely relevant, there have been clear reasons for Brannstrom's absences. Wether it be him being stuck in quarantine for a month, giving Wolanin a chance to play or showcasing Coburn for a trade. Other than that I'm not completely sure what the issue is. Stutzle, Batherson and Norris have played big roles all season, Pinto has played regularly. It's nothing to do with philosophy, JBD isn't playing because they don't feel he is good enough to play at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00