Friedman: Jackets testing market for Panarin

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Alternatively, the implication can be that he wants to maximize his dollars because he thinks he'll do even better this coming year. Or he'll have more leverage after we see what Tavares actually gets. There's multiple interpretations, and not all of them are "Columbus needs to panic and get whatever they can get".

I mean I think he's already proven his worth. But I will agree we don't know what to make of him not commiting to anythign at this time. It's probably a multitude of things like how competitive the team might be going forward, his value relative to market at that time. Maybe he flat out doesn't want to be there long term. Only he and agent know.

The bottom line is I was responding to someone asking why on Earth CLB would be shopping their best forward when they obviously will never get an equal return on talent. And the answer being, you have to prepare to get value back fro him if makes it clearer he won't be there long term.

If CLB gives him 9 to 10 mil on an extension then he re signs,why wouldnt he ??

Maybe top dollars isn't his ultimate goal? But still, Who's to say someone else won't offer him the same dollars in a more desirable destination on July 1st.

Reactions: Toe Pick

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think its just a negotiating tactic ,the Bread man has it really good in CLB why would he leave??
Isn't it pretty obvious? He wants to play in a fancier place. Columbus is not exactly a top destination for Russian kids dreaming of living in the US some day.

Tarasenko is an exception what comes to Russian star players in small Midwest markets.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Because everybody knows we're a small market they have trouble remembering exists and therefore we don't deserve such high level players, and those players know it, and so of course they're going to leave? ;)

I'd kvetch about outside fans making that assumption except that there's a few folks on the Jackets board with the same attitude. :shakehead
the problem is the media on how they focus always on the same 5 or 6 teams every night. We're in the same boat here in MN where we're basically forgotten and don't deserve to have high end players. Just like basketball and baseball it's always about those 5 or 6 big market teams.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
CLB isnt some joke of a team ,and what the hell is wrong with living in CLB??If he wants to win i can think of few other places that are as set up as they are right now

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Isn't it pretty obvious? He wants to play in a fancier place. Columbus is not exactly a top destination for Russian kids dreaming of living in the US some day.

Tarasenko is an exception what comes to Russian star players in small Midwest markets.
Hon, my mockery of this was due to the fact that Sergei Bobrovsky is probably the best known Blue Jacket ever save maybe Rick Nash.

Reactions: cslebn

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think LA would be a great destination for Panarin. Every time the Kings get a top-6 forward from Lumbus, they win the cup.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
If the Blue Jackets are considering moving Panarin....Just picture Hall and Panarin on the same team?Might not get it done though just a dream.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
My take on this is situation is that unless someone blows Jarmo away with a strong offer over the next few weeks that Panarin will start the season with the Jackets. They will continue to try to work out an extension throughout the season and if they are unable to get him signed by TDL time a trade will be revisited.

I don't think he is being actively shopped right now. More likely Jarmo is gauging interest around the league to find out who would be a serious trade partner should it become necessary.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My take on this is situation is that unless someone blows Jarmo away with a strong offer over the next few weeks that Panarin will start the season with the Jackets. They will continue to try to work out an extension throughout the season and if they are unable to get him signed by TDL time a trade will be revisited.

I don't think he is being actively shopped right now. More likely Jarmo is gauging interest around the league to find out who would be a serious trade partner should it become necessary.
Thank you. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Reactions: Blanick

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

All that matters is raising the cup. I doubt Washington was on the top of Ovis destinations to play before he was drafted. But things change when you get drafted and start playing. Same thing when you get traded. Artemi has admitted that his biggest goal right now is winning a cup, not chasing the money.

He has a fellow russian, two time Vezina winning goalie in net, two of the games best young dmen in the league and a 30G winger opposite of him who he really started to click with the last 1/4 of the season and a #3 overall pick who he arguably had the best chemistry with on the entire team. Yeah Columbus can't compare to NYR or LA as far as nightlife or scenes, but it's a big college town.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Dude.. what? Panarin is an elite player. Even with a year left, he commands a better return than Brassard+. And I couldn’t imagine Columbus trading their absolute best player to their biggest rival. Just.. what the heck, man. No way.
Brassard and Rust would be a great return. They would actually replace his production.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
That would be an enticing deal for sure.

I think Huberdeau would soften the blow of losing Panarin and he could fill the vacant LW slot alongside Dubois and Atkinson. Just a hunch, but Huberdeau and Dubois strike me as the type that would form extremely good chemistry. Panarin, Barkov and Dadonov would be a very explosive line in Florida. I think this has potential to be one of those win-win "hockey deals".

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

A lot would have to depend on what exactly Panarin and Millstein have told Columbus regarding his intentions. It's hard to say even with reputable reporters during Silly Season, but if Portzline's info is correct Panarin's camp has been adamant that he's not extending in Columbus. Unless Jarmo is pretty confident that something could change his mind between now and the next TDL, waiting that long is a big risk. At that point he's a few months from UFA and a straight-up rental. On or around the draft is the absolute best time to get max value in a deal like this.

It's precarious either way, though.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
All that matters is raising the cup. I doubt Washington was on the top of Ovis destinations to play before he was drafted. But things change when you get drafted and start playing. Same thing when you get traded. Artemi has admitted that his biggest goal right now is winning a cup, not chasing the money.

He has a fellow russian, two time Vezina winning goalie in net, two of the games best young dmen in the league and a 30G winger opposite of him who he really started to click with the last 1/4 of the season and a #3 overall pick who he arguably had the best chemistry with on the entire team. Yeah Columbus can't compare to NYR or LA as far as nightlife or scenes, but it's a big college town.
Washington is major market though, and I'm sure it's a little different for players drafted/developed by their respective organisations (like Jackets giving Bob the chance to shine so there's more connection there compared to Panarin who came over as a star already).

And I agree with you. It's a good place to play. I'm just saying that if you look around the league, Russians tend to gravitate towards certain markets (teams like Columbus, Minnesota and even Vancouver have trouble bringing them over - I'm not really surprised Tarasenko signed a long-term deal with Blues, I'm surprised he came over that early in the first place).

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Has anyone ruled out the possibility of Panarin passing on a possible extension as an "out" from playing for Tortz, without throwing the coach under the bus or seeming like a malcontent? Granted, the Caps won the Cup, but the Jackets blew a 2-0 lead in the series, and midway through the series it seemed like Tortz started the "tough love act" in the media. Could that have rubbed some of the players, including Panarin, the wrong way? I found it odd how it seemed liked "the balloon popped" for Columbus after game 4 and they seemed to "change." It was like their confidence started to disappear and they were playing like a team that was afraid to lose, instead of hoping to win. I don't know, maybe I'm reading way too much into it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Has anyone ruled out the possibility of Panarin passing on a possible extension as an "out" from playing for Tortz, without throwing the coach under the bus or seeming like a malcontent? Granted, the Caps won the Cup, but the Jackets blew a 2-0 lead in the series, and midway through the series it seemed like Tortz started the "tough love act" in the media. Could that have rubbed some of the players, including Panarin, the wrong way? I found it odd how it seemed liked "the balloon popped" for Columbus after game 4 and they seemed to "change." I don't know, maybe I'm reading way too much into it.

Given that we don't actually know anything, this could be possible I guess.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Foligno, Jenner, and Calvert for Crosby. They replace his production. (33 points for Foligno, 32 for Jenner, 24 for Calvert equals 89 for Crosby).
That's a bit drastic.

My hang-up with the deal is that I wouldn't want to deal him to Pittsburgh for a number of reasons.

Additionally, Brassard's statements when he was traded away from Columbus make me hesitant to bring him back. He essentially said he lacked motivation to play for the city.

Reactions: Fro

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Washington?
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Panarin-Backstrom-Oshie
Vrana-Eller-Connolly

Offer: Burakovsky + 2018 1st round draft pick + Grubauer + 2019 1st round draft pick

Then you would buyout Orpik.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2