Friedman: Jackets testing market for Panarin

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I don't blame my fellow Blues fans for pushing hard after Panarin, not only is he one of the top wingers in the game he is best friends with Tarasenko which could make the likelihood of him re-signing with us pretty good. All that being said I just don't think that we have the necessary pieces to pry him away from Columbus. I will break it down like this.

Columbus is set on defense and would be looking for a player or players that can replicate Panarin's offense. They are also currently in their window so they want someone who can be counted on to contribute this year. The players that they would likely be interested in would be Tarasenko, Schenn and Schwartz, none of whom the Blues should trade for different reasons. The problem is after that there is a complete drop off talent wise. Steen is 34 and declining, Fabbri is coming off two knee surgeries and while Berglund has scored at a 20 goal pace the last two years he is at best the second piece in deal like this.

I do think if and it is a big IF Panarin is moved it will most likely be for 50-60 point player in his 20s and supplemented with picks and prospects. We have the picks, we have the prospects but we just don't have the offensive player to make this trade. Yes again guys like Fabbri, Thomas or Kyrou could be that player this year but that is pretty big gamble for a team that has a legitimate chance at the cup next year.

Maybe Army can figure out something creative and get a deal done but until then I call on my fellow Blues fans to knock it off before you give @Viqsi an aneurism.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Kevin Fiala, Craig smith, and a pick

Smith is a little old relative to our core, but pretty solid effort. I'd be interested in Viqsi's opinion as she is a Press and jackets fan.

I like your edit because I was going to say something like Fiala+?

Pettersson?

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I think of it more as due diligence. Insurance against the worst.

It's not exactly making folks happy around here that this is going on, but some of us are attempting to take it in stride. Real panic points (variable depending on the Jackets fan in question, and presuming this goes on that long) will be July 1, mid-October, the trade deadline, and this time next year.

July 1st and Mid-October is where your most likely to get the 2-1 replacement plus future piece to solve the now part. Fabri plus Kryou looks like a competitive offer.

As the season goes on the chances for a roster player swap is slim. Classic hockey trades are just so rare these days.

By midseason Fabri should be clicking and knocked the rust off hopefully. If that’s the case I doubt he will be traded considering the sweet heart contract he is likely to be on however, the bread man would be sweet!

The closer it gets to the trade deadline the more futures oriented any offers will be. Unless Columbus is out of the playoffs doubt that will be acceptable to you guys.

Good luck on your FAQ always enjoy them. Hopefully you capture how the ask should change as the season progresses.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's going to the Pens for Kessel

I can totally see Phil Kessel being so happy to get away from Mike Sullivan that he'd accept a trade to Columbus so he can play for Torts, Sully's mentor and coach of the last US Olympic team. Yep, I can totally see that.

Reactions: Toe Pick

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
GMJK has killed at hockey trades recently for us though so we generally have higher expectations then some have with their GMs and when they fear terrible returns. We had Hartnell for Umberger, Jones for Ryjo, Saad for AA/Dano then Saad/Forsberg for Panarin were pretty close to straight hockey deals.

I honestly would rather walk then take futures because we are ready now but Blues fans have been giving the best offers Ive seen. Value doesnt mean they make sense but they seem to be the team with the right amount of peices and willingness to make that move.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kevin Fiala, Craig smith, and a pick
I like Smith more than some, but I'm pretty sure this year represents his peak rather than his new normal - and adding picks to try to make up value is frankly not acceptable with a player like Panarin. Would have to insist on replacing Smith and the pick (or possibly Fiala, tho I'm less enamored with that idea) with one of those guys playing next to Joey.

* * *​
GMJK has killed at hockey trades recently for us though so we generally have higher expectations then some have with their GMs and when they fear terrible returns. We had Hartnell for Umberger, Jones for Ryjo, Saad for AA/Dano then Saad/Forsberg for Panarin were pretty close to straight hockey deals.

I honestly would rather walk then take futures because we are ready now but Blues fans have been giving the best offers Ive seen. Value doesnt mean they make sense but they seem to be the team with the right amount of peices and willingness to make that move.
...much like the Johansen discussions, interestingly enough.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
From Elliotte Friedman's 10 thoughts last night:

5. Nothing really new on Artemi Panarin. I wonder if Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen — who has big brass ones — goes for it with both Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky in the final seasons of their contracts. You look at Washington, which won the Cup after finally getting over its playoff hurdle. I can’t help but think of the Blue Jackets, a really good team with the same post-season problem. If I were in his shoes, I’d think long and hard about it.

10 Thoughts: Bergevin looking to add centre, defenceman for Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
“You know, I think that’s the most fascinating question is what is Columbus going to do,” remarked NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman during a Monday evening TV hit on NHL Network. “I think Panarin has let it be known that his preferred destinations are either Los Angeles, New York, or Florida.

“Now, I had some fans ask me today does New York mean the Rangers or just New York. I think it’s just New York. I think the Rangers and Islanders are probably both in contention there.
“And then I also heard Florida, and some people asked me if does that mean both teams or just the Panthers – and all I got was Florida, so I can’t answer that. I just heard Florida. So that’s kind of where he wants to go.
“I do think this, I think one of the biggest questions the Columbus Blue Jackets want to answer is, ‘Do we keep him and go for it.’ Sergei Bobrovsky is a free agent after next year.
“I just wonder: Jarmo Kekalainen and their front office is also headed into the last year of their deals. Jarmo is bold – that guy is not afraid. I wonder if the Blue Jackets look at Washington, which finally got over the hump and climbed the mountain, and say, ‘That could be us next year.’
“If I was in their shoes, I would consider it. I would hold in and go for it and see where all of the chips landed.
“The one thing I do think is that (Columbus) is not afraid to make Panarin a big, big offer, and I think they might just hold on and see, ‘Is it worth going trying and going for it ourselves.’ “

Friedman examines options for Blue Jackets with Panarin

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
https://www.tsn.ca/agent-panarin-has-no-list-of-preferred-teams-1.1123343

A media report surfaced over the weekend that Panarin would be open to signing in Los Angeles, New York or Florida, but Panarin's agent, Daniel Milstein, told The Athletic his client has made no such list.

Portzline reports Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen must balance trying to convince Panarin to sign with the club with not holding him too long and risk losing his value towards the trade deadline. He adds Kekalainen is only willing to move the Russian in a trade that benefits the Blue Jackets immediately. Kekalainen is looking for at one established NHLer in any trade and won't accept a trade strictly for prospects and picks this summer.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
lol....“Now, I had some fans ask me today does New York mean the Rangers or just New York. I think it’s just New York. I think the Rangers and Islanders are probably both in contention there.''

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Yet his agent comes out and says that isn’t true and he hasn’t said any city is out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad