Pre-Game Talk: Jackets @ Sens Feb. 7 Backup of the Backup Edition

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
There is also a BIG difference between one of the teams leaders and its best player this season saying something post game and a guy in Lehners position throwing his stick after a goal and then smashing it and screaming **** as he leaves the ice.

One is a controlled response from a guy who has every right to say it, another in a complete lack of control from a guy who is only in the league because he threatened to leave to Europe if the team put him in the A.

He has certainly been better lately, but the organization has had issues with his on ice temper in the past. Fans brushing it off seems odd to me.

We all react in different ways. Doesn't mean he is any less committed.

I can't remember how many times we all used to hear that Alfie was a bad leader because he was a quiet reserved guy instead of an in your face Messier type.

And as for that point about him threatening to hold out, he had absolutely no leverage. He was a kid and the Sens could have easily let him go to Europe for a few years. They made the choice to bring him here.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Alfredsson wasnt naming pets after media members, throwing a fit after every few bad games and lehner seems to struggle noticing his flaws. When he was playing terrible he was saying he didnt know what was wrong and he thought he was playing well.

I like little bit of anger. It helped guys like Belfor,Roy and Hextall .... i dont like him doing it all the time. It gets old fast and is a little embarrassing. It gets hard to take someone seriously when they are screaming all the time.

What ages it even faster is knowing that he hasn't improved in 2 years. It is the lack of growth that has got me concerned. We traded the wrong goalie.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
What ages it even faster is knowing that he hasn't improved in 2 years. It is the lack of growth that has got me concerned. We traded the wrong goalie.

Bishop isnt as good as people make him out to be. I think we made the right choice barring we could have got a major return for anderson.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Fact: Waking up to a 4-1 loss does not help one's hangover.

Is anyone kind enough to offer this pour miserable soul a quick summary of the game so I don't have to dig through the whole thread?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Fact: Waking up to a 4-1 loss does not help one's hangover.

Is anyone kind enough to offer this pour miserable soul a quick summary of the game so I don't have to dig through the whole thread?

Was at the game. Lehner and McElhinney both played very well thru the first two minutes. Sens are wicked snake-bitten.

Ceci and Cowen looked bad again, on for the first two goals.

Lehner gave up a softie when the game was over and proceeded to lose his **** at the end of the game.

The Senators are not good. Powerplay continues to suck harder than a Hoover.

I hope new management cans Cameron. The team needs a new voice and new coaching staff. Promoting Maclean's 2nd in command isn't enough change. Scorch the earth.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Anderson called out the D like 3 weeks ago and everybody said he was showing passion and emotion and all that stuff.

Andy is an established goalie in this league and has had a good season, that's the difference. Lehner is in no position to call out his teammates or throw his stick in frustration.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Bishop isnt as good as people make him out to be. I think we made the right choice barring we could have got a major return for anderson.

But Bishop can still get better or at least maintain his game. Anderson is on the downward slope.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Was at the game. Lehner and McElhinney both played very well thru the first two minutes. Sens are wicked snake-bitten.

Lehner gave up a softie when the game was over and proceeded to lose his **** at the end of the game.

I hope new management cans Cameron. The team needs a new voice and new coaching staff. Promoting Maclean's 2nd in command isn't enough change. Scorch the earth.

I don't blame him for losing his cool, he wants to win and was let down by the 1 defensive pairing and the WHOLE team offensively.
Holy **** can someone teach them to cycle(players move to breakdown coverage) on the PP. That is the #1 cause of this teams shortcomings. We presently are covered by sticks in the middle. The good teams move.

BigBush*

How is Andy on the downward slope exactly? Just because of his age? :help:

Lol, ya I guess. Even though he keeps playing at an elite level... Three only another 5 good years in him MAX! (which is like an eternity in the NHL)

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Lol, ya I guess. Even though he keeps playing at an elite level... Three only another 5 good years in him MAX! (which is like an eternity in the NHL)

He wont maintain this level for another 3 years I guarentee you that.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Agreed.

We didn't even get the dead cat bounce improvement in our record under Cameron. We are further behind than where we were when we fired Maclean.

Maclean needed to be replaced, but Cameron has been an awful choice in that regard. I don't even want to hear the "we look better on the ice" argument either, Maclean had lost the room so badly that there was no real way the team could have played any more lackluster than the way they were playing under Mac. They had nowhere to go but up, and they have BARELY gone up at all.

I will give Cameron all the credit in the world if he can change it up and try something new that finds success, I'm just not expecting it anytime soon.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lehner had a good game tho? Blame goes to Ceci on the foligno's goal ..

My question, where the **** was Cowen? Did he not see that play develop? I mean he isn't the fastest skater but I see no reason he can't cut Foligno off.

Hoffman needs to smarten the **** up too, ever since the all-star break he has kept trying to go through guys at the blueline and is constantly tuning it over. Make the defensemen turn and use your damn feet. Putting him back with Ryan would go along way, trying to do it all himself without Ryan. Almost lost it on his butter soft play on Hartnell in the neutral zone which lead to the ENG, show some compete.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Why don't we ever change up who we use on the PP?

At this point shouldn't Cowen get a chance out there? Do we ever practice one-timers? We seem to be the only team in the league that can't do a one-timer.

I know it's a 'high skill' play, but shouldn't some of our players be able to hit a puck at the net when it's already moving?

Another point; only Toronto and Buffalo have given up more short handed goals against (8) than Ottawa (6).

We're also 6th in the league for PP opportunities. 7th overall for PP TOI.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Yeah screw this improving thing! We expected this team to suddenly turn into a contender! Not just improve from most aspects! And who cares if most players have said they feel better under Cameron and are playing with more confidence, including Karlsson. The record is all that matters in a season where the playoffs were never really a goal!

WE WANT FIRE.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Another sleeper. Crowd was absolutely atrocious tonight as well, no energy whatsoever.

To be fair, at least there still is a crowd. This is now the second straight season that this has been a non-playoff, non-competitive team. Add in the fact that it is late in the season with no hope that things will turn around until at least next October and I think the club should be counting their blessings that people are still coming out.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
How can you guarantee that? It's not like there hasn't been good goalies at the age of 38 before

He is playing right now at a level that is not indicative of his long term play. He is at a high point. Remmber last year?! it wasnt that long ago. He was not nearly as good as this year. Im not saying he is going to drop off the map, but to sustain his current level of abnormally high play will only become more and more difficult as he ages. Thus I can guarentee he will not sustain this level of play for even three more years

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The guys were passing up too many chances to shoot when they had an odd man rush but were making desperation passes or running out of room trying to plan a pass when the best option was shoot and hope to beat the goalie or at least force a rebound!

I'll give Cherry credit for saying this although he wasn't talking about the Sens game he said shoot low not in the crest and go for the rebounds. He showed examples of how well that works. There is often no need to try to shoot through a goalie which today rarely works but when you have a partner driving the net put a medium to low powered shot right at the goalies feet where it doesn't have the velocity to let him kick it past the incoming attackers.

The pp is way too predicable. Everyone knows 9 out of 10 times it's either a point shot mostly from EK's side or an attempted one timer from whoever is on the lw. A right handed rw is a waste since he's never in a position to shoot a one timer so teams tend to ignore that guy. The last 1 of 10 play is a pass to the guy standing still in the middle of the ice hoping for a quick shot which more often than not is blocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad