Pre-Game Talk: Jackets @ Sens Feb. 7 Backup of the Backup Edition

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Again, Daniel Alfredsson would get just as visibly frustrated yet I didn't see fans label him as emotionally volatile.

Anderson called out the D like 3 weeks ago and everybody said he was showing passion and emotion and all that stuff.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Again, Daniel Alfredsson would get just as frustrated yet I didn't see fans label him as emotionally volatile.

Alfredsson wasnt naming pets after media members, throwing a fit after every few bad games and lehner seems to struggle noticing his flaws. When he was playing terrible he was saying he didnt know what was wrong and he thought he was playing well.

I like little bit of anger. It helped guys like Belfor,Roy and Hextall .... i dont like him doing it all the time. It gets old fast and is a little embarrassing. It gets hard to take someone seriously when they are screaming all the time.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not actively root against the team? What he's asking isn't ridiculous at all. I understand where that opinion is coming from, thinking of the future, but pretending it's the only option is a little much.

People aren't really hating on the team, though. They're just clinging to the best hope they see.

Whether it's the right or wrong thing to do....I don't know. It has worked out well for some other teams, and backfired as well.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Anderson called out the D like 3 weeks ago and everybody said he was showing passion and emotion and all that stuff.

Lehner can't do that hes from Europe its much harder for these guys to display that they have heart then it is for players from North America, Euros have to earn intangible labels like leadership, hardworker, while if a player is from NA its his to lose its always been that way.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What do you suggest people do instead? Pray to the hockey gods to give all the guys hand transplants?

We just aren't a good hockey team. We lack skill and heart. People are simply trying to cling to any hope wherever they can find it, whether it's the promise of a high pick, or some sort of magical turnaround or a big trade that fleeces some other GM out of a star.

What else can we do?

Just seems as though people think a pick will produce instant results. There is development time as well that needs to be taken into consideration.

Team needs more than a pick to turn things around and be consistent playoff contenders.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lehner can't do that hes from Europe its much harder for these guys to display that they have hart then it is for players from North America, Euros have to earn intangible labels like leadership, hardworker, while if a player is from NA its his to lose its always been that way.

Persecution complex much?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
People aren't really hating on the team, though. They're just clinging to the best hope they see.

Whether it's the right or wrong thing to do....I don't know. It has worked out well for some other teams, and backfired as well.

Getting a high pick is undoubtedly a good thing for the franchise, but as a fan, I'll always cheer for a win, and view higher picks as a consolation prize.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just seems as though people think a pick will produce instant results. There is development time as well that needs to be taken into consideration.

Team needs more than a pick to turn things around.

Getting McEichel or Hanifin could yield instant results though but yeah, outside of the top 3 I doubt we get a player ready to come in as soon as next season

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Team needs more than a pick to turn things around and be consistent playoff contenders.

Well, unless that pick is a generational talent.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Team needs more than a pick to turn things around.

Very true. And 18-year-old won't magically turn us into contenders next year.

I've gotta say, though, I'd be a lot happier with losses if we saw a little more excitement and passion from the guys. I miss risky Karlsson. I miss seeing the fire from so many guys. If we're going to lose, then forget about playing safe and play some exciting firewagon hockey....skate, skate, skate, crash that net, show that passion.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Anderson is a vet playing some of the best games of his career. Lehner is a kid playing the worst hockey of his career and saying hes not playing poorly

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
When he was playing terrible he was saying he didnt know what was wrong and he thought he was playing well.

Come on man, thats inaccurate Lehner holds himself more accountable then any player in the locker room, he is one of the few players I have ever heard admit to being the sole reason his team lost the game.

As for naming pets after media members you gotta love that stuff our media ****ing sucks, and they have played roles as unnecessary villains to our star players over the years, the media is something I strongly believe that our fan base and players need to unite against.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Anderson is a vetran playing some of the best games of his career. Lehner is a kid playing the worst hockey of his career and saying hes not playing poorly

Pretty sure he took all the blame for the first Dallas loss.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Pretty sure he took all the blame for the first Dallas loss.

He also said he didnt know what was wrong. He said he thought he was playing well. He admitted it was his fault for the loss but said he didnt know what was wrong.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
He also said he didnt know what was wrong. He said he thought he was playing well. He admitted it was his fault for the loss but said he didnt know what was wrong.

That sounds more like exasperation and confusion than a denial of the quality of his recent play.

I really don't think you can take credit for a loss and then deny playing ****** at the same time.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

We know he doesn't think much of the media

The proof is in the pudding, he was a lot better tonight in not losing his net and on rebounds

That's what I want to see and good on him for shoring up those areas

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Bottom line my point was if lehner was actually playing well this season he'd get the leeway Anderson does. Hes not playing well. It has nothing to do with him being European. Lehner is young and he has to recognize how he can improve.... If he cant he wont get better.

I have no real concerns with Lehner play. Hes young and has barely any games played in the NHL. Once he gets to 25 years old then ill start to be really worried if hes not showing any improvement. In the mean time i think we should find a young goalie that can be developed to take over for lehner if he doesnt materialize into an NHL starter or at least take over for andy as back up when andy is done.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bottom line my point was if lehner was actually playing well this season he'd get the leeway Anderson does. Hes not playing well. It has nothing to do with him being European. Lehner is young and he has to recognize how he can improve.... If he cant he wont get better.

Agreed

On the bright side he's improved since getting a few starts in a row so there's that

The problem then becomes how do you rely on him if he isn't capable of coming in and play well after not playing for a little bit?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Yeah I don't buy into the European thing either. And yes I agree he needs to play better. This last little stretch has been good for him.

I just think that bad D is bad D, and the frustration that comes with that is not entirely unreasonable.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
There is also a BIG difference between one of the teams leaders and its best player this season saying something post game and a guy in Lehners position throwing his stick after a goal and then smashing it and screaming **** as he leaves the ice.

One is a controlled response from a guy who has every right to say it, another in a complete lack of control from a guy who is only in the league because he threatened to leave to Europe if the team put him in the A.

He has certainly been better lately, but the organization has had issues with his on ice temper in the past. Fans brushing it off seems odd to me.

Xamar*

Lehner had a good game tho? Blame goes to Ceci on the foligno's goal ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad