Post-Game Talk: Jack Johnson Era 0 -2.

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
There need to be serious changes. We all know that. But whether or not they actually make those changes remain to be seen. I can only hope I’ve watched the last game as a Penguin for a bunch of players, starting with Letang. He is supremely talented, but I’ve had enough of his monumental defensive breakdowns. It’s the story of his career.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Honestly I think they will chalk this one up as COVID weirdness and not fire the coach. There will be other changes but I’m just not seeing anything drastic.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
JR has proven himself and anyone talking about getting rid of him is ridiculous.

Has he made mistakes? *JackcoughJohnson* Of course he has. Who hasn't? But overall he, and Sully, deserve to be back.

Recchi and a couple of others need to go though.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Everyone who wants Malkin gone can kiss next year goodbye as well. And if you think sid is going to sit during a rebuild... Good luck

SomeOldDude

May 27, 2016
VA
Fire Sully & JR, trade Letang, Geno, Murray, Bjugstad, Horny, Marleau, Shultz, and throw in & JJ to sweeten any of the deals...blow this POS up and start over. What a god damn embarrassment. Zero fight in an elimination game against a trash team.

Oh and dump Sheary and ZAR as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: JBose7

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
JR has proven himself and anyone talking about getting rid of him is ridiculous.

Has he made mistakes? *JackcoughJohnson* Of course he has. Who hasn't? But overall h r, and Sully, deserve to be back.

Recchi and a couple of others need to go though. E

JR has put together a cap team and spent all of our assets for a team that has missed the playoffs and got swept in two consecutive years.

We literally look like Carolina.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The last two playoffs have been the worst in the Crosby era. Even Bylsma could get them to deliver an inspired exit. Something is rotten. Even if the core guys are older they are way better than this shit.
When you have coaches who play favorites and preach accountability to only a few select players, it’s breed contempt and distrust in the locker room. Sullivan created the cancerous situation, and he needs to pay for it because it won’t go away until he goes away.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Id say Murray and one of Geno/Letang is gone atleast.

One of Geno, Letang, Sullivan.

Likely not Geno, given the full NMC, unless he decides he wants out.

BUT, there's no way NOT to make a significant change without one of those three going.

And make no mistake, someone MUST go.

Even if you add by winning the lottery, you'll see like with the last significant add in Phil that someone still has to go.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Don't overthink this.

1. Somebody said if Sullivan goes with JJ and Schultz again it's the equivalent of rolling over and dying. They did it!

2. Jack Johnson is a great person and an ok player who was successful in a slower more physical era. We've been out of that era for years now. It isn't his fault he was put in a position to fail.

3. Marleau was a hollow choker on San Jose and he was never going to help this team. This team has Crosby and Malkin in their 30s, they don't need a f***ing sage to help.

4. Schultz was casual all year, and never should have been played the way he was.

5. The PP has been bad all year, trying everything possible to overcomplicate and apparently stroke egos than do what needs to be done. Different variations of Malkin on the left side, Malkin on the top have never worked and never will. One of the best shooters in NHL history used a decoy was and is ridiculous and it's absurd it went on so long.

6. Murray was good, he wasn't the reason they lost.

7. All of this leads to the only point that matters. Mike Sullivan caught lightning in a bottle and then managed to do it again with good decision-making and being willing to listen. Somewhere along the line, that changed. He actively hampered this team at every turn and his decisions were mind-boggling. The less-astute here will blame players like Malkin because it feels good to rag on the stars for not scoring. A better discussion is how on earth did this coach manage to take a superstar having his best season in years and make him into his third choice on the ice? Wow. Mike Sullivan and Evgeni Malkin cannot co-exist, there is no reason to have Malkin here if Sullivan is going to treat him the way he does. It hurts our team to have a 9MIL player trusted less than Teddy Blueger. My God. This team was rolling when Malkin was rolling, and it did it for months, and it was the only time they were rolling. A smart coach would take notice. He didn't, because he doesn't trust Malkin and never has. So part ways with one or both.

Anybody blaming the players (beyond a few poor performers) for this doesn't have a clue. Rutherford assembled a talented team. This coach has lost it and if he isn't willing to change, he needs to be gone. Recchi too. What does he do here, again?

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Anyway, yeah we played bad but overall we out shoted and outchanced them in all four games but Price and a few other things created that disappointment.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
I came back to say I was wrong and the doubters were right. My optimism was based on the fact that we did dominate for a while this season (while Sid was out), and who knew how the long layoff would play out... Oh well, I guess.

Why did we play better with Sid out? How much lineup input does he have (ie not giving up Guentzel, no Hornqvist, buddy Jack needs to play)?

BYE, Sully...good luck and thanks for the Cups, MM...don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, JJ and Jultz...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't see how they move Malkin or Letang for anything worthwhile.

Fire the coach. This loss was on him and his insane fetish of our 4th line playing after TV breaks and Jack Johnson and Justin Schultz playing above Petts and Marino.
Finally. I can agree with you on something for the first time since I've been a member here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad