Post-Game Talk: Jack Johnson Era 0 -2.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't see how they move Malkin or Letang for anything worthwhile.

Fire the coach. This loss was on him and his insane fetish of our 4th line playing after TV breaks and Jack Johnson and Justin Schultz playing above Petts and Marino.

people calling for Geno or Letang with NMCs to be gone are not realistic...they’re here for 2 years and we’re not getting better replacements for them anyway so suck it up...The pieces around them need to go...didn’t see much from any of our top six wingers or depth players...Tanev caused the winning goal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JR has put together a cap team and spent all of our assets for a team that has missed the playoffs and got swept in two consecutive years.

We literally look like Carolina.

How is it JR's fault that a majority of their star players decided to do nothing in an entire playoff series?

They lost this series because of guys like Malkin, Guentzel, Rust and Hornqvist not playing up to the caliber they should be. Anyone blaming JR, Sullivan or depth players while not mentioning that fact is not paying attention.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
These still count as playoffs I read.

Normally I feel some semblance of pride in how we played but, I just feel anger

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
JR has proven himself and anyone talking about getting rid of him is ridiculous.

Has he made mistakes? *JackcoughJohnson* Of course he has. Who hasn't? But overall h r, and Sully, deserve to be back.

Recchi and a couple of others need to go though. E

I don’t think they deserve to be back and if we’re being brutally honest, especially JR. Their history might save them but they’ve burned through deserve. I expect they’ll go more middle ground and go through the assistant coaches and some roster moves.

They need less freedom. If you keep them, things change. JR can’t go freely doing his stupid roster shit and Sullivan can’t be allowed to latch on to bad players. Recchi and Martin are gone. JJ is dumped in China with no ID.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
One of Geno, Letang, Sullivan.

Likely not Geno, given the full NMC, unless he decides he wants out.

BUT, there's no way NOT to make a significant change without one of those three going.

And make no mistake, someone MUST go.

Even if you add by winning the lottery, you'll see like with the last significant add in Phil that someone still has to go.

You think JR gives up the 15th? I think he will

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I disagree about Johnson - he was never good - but I agree that coaching is the primary issue.

EDIT: tried and failed to quote the long post by Pittsburgh1776.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Everyone who wants Malkin gone can kiss next year goodbye as well. And if you think sid is going to sit during a rebuild... Good luck
If they luck out and end up winning the lottery, I’d be okay with losing the core. A rebuild is going to happen eventually anyway. I can sit through 3 or 4 years of shitty hockey if they want to expedite the process.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There's no chance Malkin and Letang are gone unless they ask to be moved. And I'm fine with that.

Johnson
Murray
Bjugstad
McCann

These RFAs and guys under contract can piss off.

The UFAs can piss off.

Mike Sullivan can go f*** right off.

Reactions: Clare2904

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Absolutely pathetic effort throughout the series. Horrendous coaching. Flawed roster. Clean house already. Rutherford has to go. Sullivan and the entire coaching staff has to go. Letang has to go. This team needs to get younger, bigger and more offensive. They can NO LONGER rely on two guys to generate ALL of the five-on-five offense. Kessel was never replaced. We have no third-line center. We let the worst team invited inside the bubble dictate the entire series. Nice.

Whether we pick 1st or 15th, make this damn pick count. If we pick 15th, get a center who can push for playing time right away. Let's not wait any longer to reboot this roster.

Pull a Chicago. Take a step back in order to still take three steps forward while the superstars are still able.

0-3 against Mtl in the playoffs. If they can't win this one, they'll never beat that franchise in the playoffs.

Pathetic beyond description. We need answers and we need changes. Pronto.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Don't overthink this.

1. Somebody said if Sullivan goes with JJ and Schultz again it's the equivalent of rolling over and dying. They did it!

2. Jack Johnson is a great person and an ok player who was successful in a slower more physical era. We've been out of that era for years now. It isn't his fault he was put in a position to fail.

3. Marleau was a hollow choker on San Jose and he was never going to help this team. This team has Crosby and Malkin in their 30s, they don't need a f***ing sage to help.

4. Schultz was casual all year, and never should have been played the way he was.

5. The PP has been bad all year, trying everything possible to overcomplicate and apparently stroke egos than do what needs to be done. Different variations of Malkin on the left side, Malkin on the top have never worked and never will. One of the best shooters in NHL history used a decoy was and is ridiculous and it's absurd it went on so long.

6. Murray was good, he wasn't the reason they lost.

7. All of this leads to the only point that matters. Mike Sullivan caught lightning in a bottle and then managed to do it again with good decision-making and being willing to listen. Somewhere along the line, that changed. He actively hampered this team at every turn and his decisions were mind-boggling. The less-astute here will blame players like Malkin because it feels good to rag on the stars for not scoring. A better discussion is how on earth did this coach manage to take a superstar having his best season in years and make him into his third choice on the ice? Wow. Mike Sullivan and Evgeni Malkin cannot co-exist, there is no reason to have Malkin here if Sullivan is going to treat him the way he does. It hurts our team to have a 9MIL player trusted less than Teddy Blueger. My God. This team was rolling when Malkin was rolling, and it did it for months, and it was the only time they were rolling. A smart coach would take notice. He didn't, because he doesn't trust Malkin and never has. So part ways with one or both.

Anybody blaming the players (beyond a few poor performers) for this doesn't have a clue. Rutherford assembled a talented team. This coach has lost it and if he isn't willing to change, he needs to be gone. Recchi too. What does he do here, again?
I am with you

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see how they move Malkin or Letang for anything worthwhile.

Fire the coach. This loss was on him and his insane fetish of our 4th line playing after TV breaks and Jack Johnson and Justin Schultz playing above Petts and Marino.

If they have a discussion and it's mutually decided to part ways, then Malkin COULD be moved. The return will be worse than you possible can imagine (maybe a little better than Phil), but once you let that genie out of the bottle, you have to move him.

The time to move Letang was last summer or the summer before or December 2017 when they were semi close with the Panthers. Now, it's a player and futures type deal.

Honestly, I'd fire Sullivan (and 'promote' JR), but I don't know what they'll do.

MY FEAR is the Pens win the lottery and they then use that as an excuse to NOT make one of these three moves.

They need more than just a big addition. It's too late for just that.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
In retrospect the trade for Reaves was the beginning of the end. A microcosm of what was to come.

Trading him away was far worse. At least he would have brought energy to the line-up and actually sustain some pressure on the forecheck.

They tried the finesse approach, and it hasn’t worked with this aging core.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Pens always struggle against trapping teams. And it's infuriating to watch.

Schultz and Marleau bring nothing. Them leaving will be welcome.
I think we should re-sign MM to a prove it contract. His value can't be very high to re sign.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Lmao... zero goals on a critical game. Jarry looked great. I put a lot of this blame on Sullivan and his lack of consistency in forward lines and non stop consistency if defensive pairings. Forwards just have no idea where each other are going to be in the zone and on the breakout. However, if we get the first overall I will sleep like a baby until next season begins. Sid will forever have a playoff elimination attached to his birthday now, and that may be the saddest part of all of this. LGP, see ya in a few months. All pens fans, please recite a prayer for Lafrenierre and maybe we can manifest a draft pick that will drive every other fan base insane.
Unless...you know...Lafreniere

Reactions: LittleSpoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad