Post-Game Talk: Jack Johnson Era 0 -2.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
They are the same player only one skates around fast.

Which funny enough was my big argument last summer.

for all the slugs out there this series who we could barely notice out there, i'm not sure why you keep harping on Tanev.
He's of of the few on this team that isn't afraid of contact. His speed and hitting were noticeable(to me) all series.

is he overpaid by a million or so? yeah probably. sometimes teams pay more for what they lack.
and it seems pretty evident from these last two playoff series losses what we lack.
I'll take 17 more of that type, they'll probably win more then 1 playoff game in 2 years

Reactions: canadianguy77

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
He could easily change by scoring a couple of goals. Zero sympathy to him. He has only himself to blame.
Boy you seem like a tough no nonsense kind of guy huh? I don’t care if you have zero sympathy, and I’m sure in a team sport he has only himself to blame. Lighten up bud, and get some sunshine and empathy in your life. I just was stating that it’s unfortunate the way the events unfolded given the only time he’s ever had a meaningful game on his birthday. No need for the mid 50s era dad talk bruh.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Their performance this season before everything fell apart tells me there’s still something there. People are forgetting that they had an extended run of looking great, performing great and having great underlying numbers. That probably means they won’t go the full rebuild route and is likely going to give Sullivan another year. What they might have to do is dedicate the season to sorting some shit out and not go cup chasing. No TDL adds or off season “missing pieces” JR has to have. Any moves are of the small and smart or can’t miss variety.

Right now they have a few needs, the 3C position still isn’t solved, the D needs attention, some contracts have to go and I think the youth getting treated right has to be the priority.

Guentzel-Crosby-X
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
X-X-Hornqvist (figure out what the McCann and Simon plans are)
X-Blueger-Tanev

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
X-X

Ideally, I think Pettersson gets pushed down to the 3rd pairing but they’ve got 3 major pieces on D. A lot depends on what the WBS guys and Poulin do, and the 2020 1st. But as is, McCann and Simon are RFAs who could fill those bottom 6 spots or be trade pieces. If POJ or Reilly surprises that would go a long way to the D; someone like POJ’s development has to be a priority and the same is for Poulin. A Murray return could fill one of those holes. The biggest spots have to be 1RW, 2LD and 3C. They’re holes but they’re not impossible to fill holes in a year.

And the assistant coaches... something needs to change there out of principle. I also dgaf is the master anchor is a 3.25M paperweight, he’s not a f*** damn regular even if he can’t be moved.
The holes you listed actually seem kore problematic then you made it seem. Most of the issues concern your depth (which is huge red flag). You guys have problems in your bottom 6 and the last 2 pairings on D. These aren’t things I believe you can fix in 1 season and idk even if you win the first overall, that LAF’s value is worth THAT much.

I wouldn’t return Murray tbh and how much longer can Letang be a #1D?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Don't agree with a bunch of what's being said here -

Sully did find a place for Phil in the team - the third line. It worked really well when Phil wanted it to work, it gave him the licence to freelance, all of that. Phil didn't like it so a boom-bust line with Geno it was.

Which means keeping Geno out of any beef between Sully and Phil was impossible - how do you remove Phil's centre from conversations between Sully and Phil? Never have Sully talk to the whole line at once?

And it's pretty reasonable for a coach to have professional problems with a guy who's going to complain if he's put in positions that work for the team.

I don't want to say Sully handled this perfectly. But I don't think there's many coaches in the NHL who'd happily put Geno and Kessel together given how often their line was super irresponsible and once that's the case, there's not a lot of places that goes if Phil's unwilling to be on the third line.

And that part of it is on Phil. His choice to kick up a fuss about that. It takes two to tango and he danced his heart out.

Yes there's been some things we've missed about him. There's also been a lot of things we haven't. Maybe he'd have been a difference maker in these playoffs. Maybe he'd be another ageing player to worry about getting rid of after an embarrassing loss, only his value would be awful after the season he had.

In any case, both got what they wanted out of the other, then got to move on when they'd both had enough.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Don't agree with a bunch of what's being said here -

Sully did find a place for Phil in the team - the third line. It worked really well when Phil wanted it to work, it gave him the licence to freelance, all of that. Phil didn't like it so a boom-bust line with Geno it was.

Which means keeping Geno out of any beef between Sully and Phil was impossible - how do you remove Phil's centre from conversations between Sully and Phil? Never have Sully talk to the whole line at once?

And it's pretty reasonable for a coach to have professional problems with a guy who's going to complain if he's put in positions that work for the team.

I don't want to say Sully handled this perfectly. But I don't think there's many coaches in the NHL who'd happily put Geno and Kessel together given how often their line was super irresponsible and once that's the case, there's not a lot of places that goes if Phil's unwilling to be on the third line.

And that part of it is on Phil. His choice to kick up a fuss about that. It takes two to tango and he danced his heart out.

Yes there's been some things we've missed about him. There's also been a lot of things we haven't. Maybe he'd have been a difference maker in these playoffs. Maybe he'd be another ageing player to worry about getting rid of after an embarrassing loss, only his value would be awful after the season he had.

In any case, both got what they wanted out of the other, then got to move on when they'd both had enough.

So basically you are saying Phil got the last laugh... again.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The holes you listed actually seem kore problematic then you made it seem. Most of the issues concern your depth (which is huge red flag). You guys have problems in your bottom 6 and the last 2 pairings on D. These aren’t things I believe you can fix in 1 season and idk even if you win the first overall, that LAF’s value is worth THAT much.

I wouldn’t return Murray tbh and how much longer can Letang be a #1D?

They’re holes but other than 1RW they’re not the crazy to fill holes and they have prospects or current roster players who could fill some of them depending on what happens. The D pairings, imo, the second is fine but could be better so the 3rd is the one they’ve absolutely got to fill. Maybe they have the same problems a year from now but I wouldn’t be surprised if they could fill them. They’re not stuck trying to find a top 6 C or a 1-3 D and the 1RW can be the third best player on the line. By 21-22 Poulin and POJ could be on L1 and the 2nd pairing if they’re lucky. It’s not like when they had one or two top 6 wingers who were 3rd wheels, no bottom 6 depth and Scuderi with Letang. So, yeah, if things were to go well I think it could be sorted out relatively quickly. Or JR does a bad JR and makes everything worse, the prospects bust and JJ plays every game to prove the h8erz wrong.

Who knows about Letang. I figured an injury would have gotten him awhile ago and he’s still going. The big question there has to be if Marino can ease the pain of his inevitable decline. With murray, they’re counting down to the Seattle draft and both goalies need new contracts.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I think the whole “Kessel refuses to play there so we must get rid of him” thing says about as much about Sullivan as it does Phil at this point.

Reactions: KIRK

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think the whole “Kessel refuses to play there so we must get rid of him” thing says about as much about Sullivan as it does Phil at this point.

There is precedent there re: Sullivan with Cole too, right? Or did we never really get the full scoop of what was going on, there?

Sullivan certainly seems to be rigid about what he expects and what kinds of players he'll... tolerate. Probably not a great hallmark of a coach that wants a long shelf-life.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
for all the slugs out there this series who we could barely notice out there, i'm not sure why you keep harping on Tanev.
He's of of the few on this team that isn't afraid of contact. His speed and hitting were noticeable(to me) all series.

is he overpaid by a million or so? yeah probably. sometimes teams pay more for what they lack.
and it seems pretty evident from these last two playoff series losses what we lack.
I'll take 17 more of that type, they'll probably win more then 1 playoff game in 2 years

Would be nice to have a top nine winger since that is what we are paying Tanev to "throw hits" on L4.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tanev will be talked about in similar terms to JJ this time next year should the staff stay in place. That's my prediction.

Maybe even if they were fired. I have to admit I really don't get the big stink with this guy.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
There is precedent there re: Sullivan with Cole too, right? Or did we never really get the full scoop of what was going on, there?

Sullivan certainly seems to be rigid about what he expects and what kinds of players he'll... tolerate. Probably not a great hallmark of a coach that wants a long shelf-life.

The rumours were about Cole being too open with the media and Sullivan hating it. It’s mind boggling if they couldn’t talk something like that out and find something that worked. I almost hope it was something else because wtf? Are they all children? He also allegedly didn’t like Sprong as a person. The guy busted and had on ice issues but it’s another personality clash possibly not being sorted out.

Ironically, now the media clings to JJ personable with them as a defense and I’m sure Sullivan likes anyone standing up for their beleaguered AHL player.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

I thought that Cole was because Sullivan didn’t like that he talked to the media too much? Either way that ended up great since ultimately JJ was signed as his replacement :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I’ve said this before but I think it bears repeating.

Most NHL coaches were not highly skilled in their playing careers. Those skilled players that have tried it haven’t faired well. (See Greztky)

Having said that, I believe a lot of these coaches favor the grinder/meat and potatoes types because they are reflections of themselves. Bylsma and Sullivan are very similar in this respect and it shows in their love affairs with Gladams and ZAR types. And I’m sure back when they were playing, they had some resentment for the superstars and the preferential treatment they got.

Now, don’t get me wrong, these type of players have roles on any team but some coaches just seem determined to force them into the lineups and put them in situations that they can’t handle.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Tanev will be talked about in similar terms to JJ this time next year should the staff stay in place. That's my prediction.

Maybe even if they were fired. I have to admit I really don't get the big stink with this guy.

No, he’s not JJ bad as a player. What gets people fired up is that they gave that contract to someone who shouldn’t be in the NHL and every game is a reminder. Tanev has a bad contract but will actually contribute and fits their identity... once he slows down the pitchforks will truly come out.

It’s still an awful contract and another example of why JR needs to be supervised in free agency. It’s just an awful contract to the right kind of player instead of an awful contract to an awful player during the size and grit phase.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Absolutely stupid to move such an effective player for a reason like this. A problem like that could most likely be fixed, it it was a problem at all.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Genuinely think the next few years of this team are decided by tomorrow night. If we get Lafreniere, go for it. He doesn't instantly propel us into contention again, but it'd be huge. If we don't, there's no chance whatsoever, and we should go full fire-sale.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No, he’s not JJ bad as a player. What gets people fired up is that they gave that contract to someone who shouldn’t be in the NHL and every game is a reminder. Tanev has a bad contract but will actually contribute and fits their identity... once he slows down the pitchforks will truly come out.

It’s still an awful contract and another example of why JR needs to be supervised in free agency. It’s just an awful contract to the right kind of player instead of an awful contract to an awful player during the size and grit phase.

I don't mean to say Tanev is BAD, necessarily. He isn't. He's your classic meat and potatoes energy guy. Great wheels and a nonstop motor. Willing to use his body to disrupt. I recognize and respect those kinds of players.

But for what he was kind of built up to be by so many fans... this like... ULTIMATE depth player... nah. Don't see it. Just looks like a bad contract for a 4th liner, to me.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't mean to say Tanev is BAD, necessarily. He isn't. He's your classic meat and potatoes energy guy. Great wheels and a nonstop motor. Willing to use his body to disrupt. I recognize and respect those kinds of players.

But for what he was kind of built up to be by so many fans... this like... ULTIMATE depth player... nah. Don't see it. Just looks like a bad contract for a 4th liner, to me.
Great 4th line energy guy with one of the worst contracts in the entire league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad