Post-Game Talk: Jack Johnson Era 0 -2.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Christ, that's like a half dozen times the broken clock has been right today . . .

Reactions: Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Remember when we used to score tons of deflection goals? Or when our defencemen scored goals quite regularly? Good times.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Broken clock right again . . .

Except how do you make so profound a philosophical change while saying Sully's seat should only be a bit hot if they start bad next season . . .

If you're CHANGING like Madden suggests they should, then the coach and GM need to be changed too.

How someone can suggest those changes to the roster (he's not wrong) but not say the coach has to also be fired and instead is just on the hot seat to start the season is ridiculous.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
@pixiesfanyo and @Andy99 . . . thought you might enjoy . . .

There's the whole ballgame. 5-10 years ago, Sid and Geno could've overcome the disadvantage, at least against a team like the Habs. Not now. Sully set all of them up to fail, and throwing in the towel was inevitable.

thats why its coaching, this team jut had no idea how to get through the NZ, no friggin idea

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
IMHO, you can't just fire Sullivan. It has to be both Sullivan and Rutherford getting axed or you are just starting a new coaching cycle in two-three years. Don't just kick the can down the road with just parting with Sullivan. Rip the band-aid off. You're not going to get too many good coaching candidates looking at a team with its stars in their twilight and a lame duck GM with one foot in the grave. If Rutherford doesn't get nixed this offseason but Sullivan is gone, I think think there is a pretty good chance JR's gone next season. The new coaching staff you brought in suddenly becomes the new lame ducks because the new GM will want his guy coaching. If you're going to do it...do it right and fire both.
Yep. You need all new fresh sets of eyes to properly evaluate the talent within the organization. You can't have a new coach saddled with Jack Johnson. If GMJR stays you will, because JR still doesn't believe that he made a mistake signing him.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Save for Tampa last year, this is the most embarrassing choke job in years
Im mad that habs won (and im habs fan)
But you guys just lost to a team that lost 4 times to Detroit this season.
You guys are not happy that you lost , and most of our board is not happy because we won.
What a weird world we live in.

I have a question for your board , who had the idea to sign Jack Johnson?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
@pixiesfanyo and @Andy99 . . . thought you might enjoy . . .

There's the whole ballgame. 5-10 years ago, Sid and Geno could've overcome the disadvantage, at least against a team like the Habs. Not now. Sully set all of them up to fail, and throwing in the towel was inevitable.

Speaking of coaching related WTF things, Craig Simpson was saying during the broadcast how he doesn't understand why Sullivan isn't riding his horses more. At one point (I think it was after the first period) Simpson noted that ZAR played only 37 seconds less than Crosby.

Way to coach an elimination game, Sully, you idiot.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
All the people saying this team doesn't have guts, is cowardly, are a bunch of p***yes can f*** right off. This team scratched and clawed their way through every game through one of the most horrendous run of injuries in team history, and they did it for months. Even with an inept coaching staff. The core of this team won 3 titles and has given the spoiled fans here more to celebrate than any other organization for the last 15 years. So f*** right off. This isn't about guts.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
thats why its coaching, this team jut had no idea how to get through the NZ, no friggin idea

Look, this roster needs work, probably the level of work where you're best off 'promoting' JR and bringing in someone with a fresh set of eyes.

That said, I concur and have noted a few times there's no way any longer to effect the type of change that is needed without a coaching change.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
has anyone seen Rust touched the puck or made one forecheck to take a puck away

I literally thought he must have been injured because I never heard his name in 20 minutes or so at one point and he wasn't on the power play. :)

Speaking of injuries, imagine the Pens of all teams not having any injuries after such a long lay-off... and still losing in an embarrassing fashion to a bad team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see Cole, Schultz, Bonino, Hagelin or Lovejoy being issues to acquire on the cheap.

The issue as I said. Is that we gave the Lovejoy and Hagelin 3+ million dollar and 5+ year term. JJ and Tanev are a huge part of the problem and you were one of the key people defending those acquisitions. Sullivan resorted to them as if they were essential players this series.

Which limits you from finding out who you have in the Sheary, Rust, etc roles.

Yeah, that's the point I was making there. When I said "cheap", I didn't mean low cost, I mean low cap hit. The Penguins are paying a lot of players a lot of money right now and they're just not getting the ROI that they need to get. Johnson and Schultz are the obvious ones, but Hornqvist and Tanev also fit and guys like Dumoulin, Malkin and Guentzel didn't play up to their pay in this series.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
What a fall.

13 year playoff streak broken.

no. They finished 5th in their conference. they made the playoffs.

Not letting some dumb gimmick break the streak.

absurd that the Habs even got a chance to play one of these, they had zero shot at Making the playoffs

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Im mad that habs won (and im habs fan)
But you guys just lost to a team that lost 4 times to Detroit this season.
You guys are not happy that you lost , and most of our board is not happy because we won.
What a weird world we live in.

I have a question for your board , who had the idea to sign Jack Johnson?
LOL,someone post the press conference YouTube for this gentleman

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Speaking of coaching related WTF things, Craig Simpson was saying during the broadcast how he doesn't understand why Sullivan isn't riding his horses more. At one point (I think it was after the first period) Simpson noted that ZAR played only 37 seconds less than Crosby.

Way to coach an elimination game, Sully, you idiot.

TOI:

Crosby -19:36
Malkin - 19:04

BTW, Johnson and Schultz BOTH had 15 minutes ES TOI.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
*Never*? Not ever? Ever ever? Is this your first time watching the Pens crap the bed in the playoffs? Good grief.

Heh? What’s a worse playoff exit in the team’s history? There was the 3-0 series blown vs NYI, but I wasn’t alive then.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
f***ing losers

Everyone besides Sid and TJ can f*** off.

Sully can eat a bag of shit and get fired.

Thanks for the 2-1 hole Matty. Good luck wherever you go but you're f***ing off his f***ing team. Loser.

Murray had a 914. save percentage, 2 of 3 starts were Quality starts.

Not sure hes to blame. especially when the PP in game one went 1-8 with a 2 minute 5 on 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad