Confirmed with Link: JACK JOHNSON BOUGHT OUT

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
JR was very maaad after that Habs series. Losing that series might be the best thing that happened to this org in 3 years. This was never gonna be our year anyway, now we are out of 3 horrible contracts already (Horn, Bju, JJ) and have Jarry signed for a great value. There is still some dead cap left from Bjug and JJ and there is still the risk from Matheson, but maaan this is still soooo much better already. And I didn't even mention that we also don't pay 5.5M for Justin Schultz hahahahahhh. Yes yes yes!!

Reactions: Doogle and That1Kid

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The contract sucked I agreed. I thought there would be some team that would take him even with retention.

Like I just don't understand how GMs can make these obvious mistakes so regularly and some GMs multiple mistakes regularly.

I dunno man.

I just know the last three years of watching JR operate make me believe I could be a NHL GM.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The fact that the memory of JJ will last for 6 years is just embarrassing for JR. 99% of people knew it would end up like this.

I will never understand how JR and Sullivan touted him as a PMD. One of the biggest cases of incompetence ive seen.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The fact that the memory of JJ will last for 6 years is just embarrassing for JR. 99% of people knew it would end up like this.

I will never understand how JR and Sullivan touted him as a PMD. One of the biggest cases of incompetence ive seen.

My lasting memory is when @Empoleon8771 called JJ the light beer version of Kris Letang and then we actually acquired the light beer version of Kris Letang requiring us to buy out JJ.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He played bad. Really bad.

Yeahhhhh, he did lots wrong every single game and it wasn’t being the wrong fit for the team. The guy isn’t an NHL player and you can’t gloss over that. He wasn’t wrong to sign the contract because anyone would have and players should get every penny out of teams. It was JR offering it and then running his mouth to make things worse.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’d rather have a bad contract with a guy who is good at carrying the puck and providing offense than a bad contract with a guy who isn’t good at anything.

ideally we have no bad contracts but I don’t think that exists.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

SKATR SCORE 6

The big takeaway here though is the QOC Matheson was facing.

Easy fix is just to give Matheson pillow deployment and it is so easy to do that with JJ gone.

TBH, I think the logical move is to go..

Pettersson - Letang
Dumoulin - Marino
Matheson - Ruh / Riikola / FA.

Gives you a monster shut down pairing. Petts - Letang which has shown to be effective and can play 50 - 50 starts and then a 3rd pairing you just exploit offensively.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
To be fair, I'm like 95% sure that they're only buying Johnson out because of the stagnant cap. They were perfectly content with having him as the 7th D or 4th LD in a vacuum, but the flat cap and pandemic made them make decisions they wouldn't normally make.

Don't you dare make me thankful for Covid-19. Just don't go there. It is an unfair choice.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Lol people on the main board are pretending that this is somehow a bad move for the Penguins because replacing Johnson with Matheson is somehow a downgrade :laugh:

The main boards on this site suck ass.

If you know this, why do you keep torturing yourself by going there?

It kinda is, Matheson costs more and has 6 years and took away Hornqvist.

Shut the hell up and let us have this moment. :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If Matheson sucks defensively, whatever. He was brought here to be a guy who brings an element we haven't had since Schultz and Daley were at the top of their game.

Marino was probably going to have to shelter JJ this season, which means a guy who is abysmal in his own end who brings nothing offensively to balance it out. If Matheson is terrible defensively, and I'm sure he will be, at least he has the capability to do good things the other way. Marino can help a ton with that defensive liability.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
He was worse than I expected and that says something. I expected him to be horrendous.
Yea he was worse and I was pulling for him, because why wouldn’t I as a fan? When he had that 20-30 game stretch where he was actually making plays and hits, etc. I was hopeful and glad to see people shut up about him for a minute. Then he came crashing right back down.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00