Jack Hughes vs Suzuki vs Stützle

Who would you take moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Because unlike Stutzle, Hughes has failed to reach expectations in two years in the NHL.
Yes, it's still way to early to say he won't reach his potential, but I have the right to have some doubt.
JackHughes leads the league in takeaways, top-3 in zone entries and exits, and his advanced stats further are indicative of a guy controlling the ice every time hes on

what exactly did Stuetzle do besides score in the easiest division in hokey in decades?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
JackHughes leads the league in takeaways, top-3 in zone entries and exits, and his advanced stats further are indicative of a guy controlling the ice every time hes on

what exactly did Stuetzle do besides score in the easiest division in hokey in decades?

If Hughes is the player you're describing him to be currently, New Jersey wouldn't be in the bottom of the standings.
He's a soft center who gets pushed around quite easily. His offensive skill is up there, but defensively he leaves his team open.

Stutzle has his weaknesses, but considering he put up more points than Hughes in his first year; has a better shot, skates better I see him hitting his mark more likely than Hughes.

Also, this isn't a far-fetched opinion as you can tell from the results.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Do you have a source for this?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If Hughes is the player you're describing him to be currently, New Jersey wouldn't be in the bottom of the standings.
He's a soft center who gets pushed around quite easily. His offensive skill is up there, but defensively he leaves his team open.

Stutzle has his weaknesses, but considering he put up more points than Hughes in his first year; has a better shot, skates better I see him hitting his mark more likely than Hughes.

even taken at face value i'm really not seeing the jump from any of this to "surefire 90 point guy"

Stutzle put up a 44 point pace this year but from the way people talk about him you'd think it was more like 70+

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021

I wont entertain the conversation further since its obvious you have no idea about the player Jack Hughes

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Yeah, its common sense

You said it was the easiest division to score in hockey in decades.

I thought « wow that’s actually impressive if the North was that bad, he must have a source, nobody would go that far out on a limb just making things up. I’ll ask if he can share it. ».

Not sure what you’re getting pissy about. If you make wild claims people will ask you to substantiate them.

Also, 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the league in goals against this season were in the east. Doesn’t seem like it was very hard to score against Buffalo, Philadelphia or New Jersey which all let in more goals than Ottawa.

Last edited:

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
You said it was the easiest division to score in hockey in decades.

I thought « wow that’s actually impressive if the North was that bad, he must have a source, nobody would go that far out on a limb just making things up. I’ll ask if he can share it. ».

Not sure what you’re getting pissy about. If you make wild claims people will ask you to substantiate them.

Also, 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the league in goals against this season were in the east. Doesn’t seem like it was very hard to score against Buffalo, Philadelphia or New Jersey which all let in more goals than Ottawa.
A division of only Canadian teams who have no businesses being top-10 minus Toronto, all playing each other all year. And if we included all teams in the standings, the Rangers and Stars did better than Montreal and missed the playoffs

Yes it is obviously the weakest division in a very long time, and I didnt think that needed to be spelled out.

The entire Canada division had one team in the top-10 in the NHL this year. For reference, the West had three, the East had three, and the Central had three.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
A division of only Canadian teams who have no businesses being top-10 minus Toronto, all playing each other all year. And if we included all teams in the standings, the Rangers and Stars did better than Montreal and missed the playoffs

Yes it is obviously the weakest division in a very long time, and I didnt think that needed to be spelled out.

The entire Canada division had one team in the top-10 in the NHL this year. For reference, the West had three, the East had three, and the Central had three.

If they were the « easiest division in hokey(sic) in decades » as you claimed you’d think it would be pretty easy to demonstrate. Instead you’re grasping at straws.

So the other divisions have two extra teams in the top 10 (with Edmonton having more wins than Boston but fewer loser points) than the North, remind me how many bottom five teams were in the North compared to the other divisions?

Right, there were none in the North while there were two in the East, two in the Central and one in the West. In fact, the East had two of the bottom three teams, including the Sabres who were on pace for an absolutely brutal season.

Aside from their team in the bottom five, the West had two other teams finish below the worst East team.

It’s inherently hard to compare the divisions given they didn’t play each other. Do you really think that guys like McDavid, Draisaltl, Matthews and Marner wouldn’t have done just as well playing in any other division? Do you really think it was easier for a rookie like Stutzle to score goals when he had to take the puck away from guys like that?

« [you] didn’t think it needed to be spelled out » go ahead man spell it out because so far you’re failing miserably. You’re going to have to provide significantly more evidence than what you have if you’re going to try to substantiate a claim that the North was the easiest in decades.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
If they were the « easiest division in hokey(sic) in decades » as you claimed you’d think it would be pretty easy to demonstrate. Instead you’re grasping at straws.

So the other divisions have two extra teams in the top 10 (with Edmonton having more wins than Boston but fewer loser points) than the North, remind me how many bottom five teams were in the North compared to the other divisions?

Right, there were none in the North while there were two in the East, two in the Central and one in the West. In fact, the East had two of the bottom three teams, including the Sabres who were on pace for an absolutely brutal season.

Aside from their team in the bottom five, the West had two other teams finish below the worst East team.

It’s inherently hard to compare the divisions given they didn’t play each other. Do you really think that guys like McDavid, Draisaltl, Matthews and Marner wouldn’t have done just as well playing in any other division? Do you really think it was easier for a rookie like Stutzle to score goals when he had to take the puck away from guys like that?

« [you] didn’t think it needed to be spelled out » go ahead man spell it out because so far you’re failing miserably. You’re going to have to provide significantly more evidence than what you have if you’re going to try to substantiate a claim that the North was the easiest in decades.
So since they didnt have bottom feeders, that means they werent the worst division... but somehow they had no top-10 teams minus Toronto and that means theyre good..?

Ill just end this here

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH

You can’t be serious...

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So since they didnt have bottom feeders, that means they werent the worst division... but somehow they had no top-10 teams minus Toronto and that means theyre good..?

Ill just end this here

I didn’t say they were good. Let’s keep in mind you’re trying to demonstrate that the North was the easiest division in decades, I’m demonstrating that they clearly weren’t.

For illustration, the Atlantic in 2017-2018 had 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the league. Buffalo, Ottawa, Montréal, and Detroit, all brutal. All four teams having a lower points pace than the worst North team this season. Florida was a bubble team. Tampa, Boston and Toronto were good, all top 10. The games between Boston, Toronto and Tampa were tough, but it was pretty easy for them to rack up points against four bottom feeders.

That division was clearly worse overall than the North this year.

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
even taken at face value i'm really not seeing the jump from any of this to "surefire 90 point guy"

Stutzle put up a 44 point pace this year but from the way people talk about him you'd think it was more like 70+
44 pt pace for the youngest full time player in the league is a good start. He’ll approach PPG within 2 seasons with potential to be even better. needs to get stronger on the puck and he’ll be dominating

Reactions: TS Quint

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

First year you don't think Adam Fox is a top pairing defenseman and now this?

Honest question - do you have eyeballs?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Okay, so let's hear your explanation for your opinion on Adam Fox.

I'm not going to write a lengthy explanation about why I think Adam Fox shouldn't be considered a top-2 D on a thread that has nothing to do with him.

All I will say is look past the flashy point totals (which are highly inflated due to PP, Rangers forwards magically starting to score at a high rate + credit to the Rangers for having a solid group of forwards; and a superstar in Panarin helping out his teammates in that same vain)

Fox is a top-2 D if all you look at is his offensive contributions, but he's not offensively gifted like an Erik Karlsson; he's more comparable to a Mike Green or a John Klingberg. Defensively he's not physical which isn't necessary in order to be a top-2 D but saying he's got the defensive prowess of a top-2 D is extremely naive. He's young enough that becoming a top-2 D is within his trajectory; but two seasons doesn't justify that label.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I would be truly devastated and outraged if the Sens traded Stutzle for Hughes. Like rage beyond words..

No point in getting involved in this debate, the poll results are a beacon of light in this oh so foggy and disjointed world we share together. And ill take the reprieve gracefully and sleep easy for tonight.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not going to write a lengthy explanation about why I think Adam Fox shouldn't be considered a top-2 D on a thread that has nothing to do with him.

All I will say is look past the flashy point totals (which are highly inflated due to PP, Rangers forwards magically starting to score at a high rate + credit to the Rangers for having a solid group of forwards; and a superstar in Panarin helping out his teammates in that same vain)

Fox is a top-2 D if all you look at is his offensive contributions, but he's not offensively gifted like an Erik Karlsson; he's more comparable to a Mike Green or a John Klingberg. Defensively he's not physical which isn't necessary in order to be a top-2 D but saying he's got the defensive prowess of a top-2 D is extremely naive. He's young enough that becoming a top-2 D is within his trajectory; but two seasons doesn't justify that label.

This analysis comes off very lazy. Fox is better defensively than offensively. Watch him play and you’d know this. Did you only look at his height and box score stats?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
First year you don't think Adam Fox is a top pairing defenseman and now this?

Honest question - do you have eyeballs?

Okay, so let's hear your explanation for your opinion on Adam Fox.

Double-checks thread title again..

Dont get me wrong I like Fox a lot. But like so many good young dmen in that 22-25 age range that post big numbers in their first few seasons, their is still a ways to go before we can determine what kind of player they will settle into becoming. And Fox has not done enough yet to be considered a sure fire top pairing dman (one that can be the man on a great team). So I would hold off on gloating and ramming him down everyones throats for the time being, personally.

Gostisbehere, Phaneuf, Faulk, Brodie, Klingberg, Meyers, Hamonic, Dumba, Severson. Ekman-Larsson, Fowler, Del Zotto, Mezaros, Lindholm - These are literally just some of the very promising young d-men that peaked offensively at around Fox's age (or younger), were hailed as premier top pairing players by their own fans almost immediately. And then they eventually matured and found their real place in the NHL as dmen - and that was for the most part closer to a 2nd pairing guy on a good team (or worse). And their numbers regressed.

Anyways, if we feel like we have to inject NYR ranger players into this poll, it should have honestly been Laffreniere and Kakko. And then take Stutzle out and swap in Hishier, all of a sudden this becomes a legit conversation...

>Laff
>Hughes
>Kakko
>Hischier
>Suzuki...or Kokta...

That is a FAR more intriguing thought experiment imo. Hischier and Suzuki are more accomplished than the rest as of now, and are good players already - but have lower ceilings than the rest imo. Kakko is anyones guess, and more comparable to Koktaneimie in reality (ie a tier below all of them).

Id lean towards Laff myself, but Hughes is the guy that could challenge him in their primes I think..

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Suzuki is easily the best player right now. In the future, Stutzle will be a tier above the other two.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Lol defensively he leaves his team open? He has been terrific defensively. Clearly you have not done your research.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Double-checks thread title again..

Dont get me wrong I like Fox a lot. But like so many good young dmen in that 22-25 age range that post big numbers in their first few seasons, their is still a ways to go before we can determine what kind of player they will settle into becoming. And Fox has not done enough yet to be considered a sure fire top pairing dman (one that can be the man on a great team). So I would hold off on gloating and ramming him down everyones throats for the time being, personally.

Gostisbehere, Phaneuf, Faulk, Brodie, Klingberg, Meyers, Hamonic, Dumba, Severson. Ekman-Larsson, Fowler, Del Zotto, Mezaros, Lindholm - These are literally just some of the very promising young d-men that peaked offensively at around Fox's age (or younger), were hailed as premier top pairing players by their own fans almost immediately. And then they eventually matured and found their real place in the NHL as dmen - and that was for the most part closer to a 2nd pairing guy on a good team (or worse). And their numbers regressed.

Anyways, if we feel like we have to inject NYR ranger players into this poll, it should have honestly been Laffreniere and Kakko. And then take Stutzle out and swap in Hishier, all of a sudden this becomes a legit conversation...

>Laff
>Hughes
>Kakko
>Hischier
>Suzuki...or Kokta...

That is a FAR more intriguing thought experiment imo. Hischier and Suzuki are more accomplished than the rest as of now, and are good players already - but have lower ceilings than the rest imo. Kakko is anyones guess, and more comparable to Koktaneimie in reality (ie a tier below all of them).

Id lean towards Laff myself, but Hughes is the guy that could challenge him in their primes I think..

Fox is better defensively than he is offensively. He'd be a top pairing defenseman if he never scored a point lol.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Stutzle, no question. The kid is going to be a special, special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad