Who would you take moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Hughes still makes defensive mistakes wich result in goals or high danger chances to often for my taste. Some of it is due to his high risk, high reward style of play but i think he still has to improve on that area. As far as his shot is concerned, I absolutely agree that this is his biggest deficiency and should be his number one area to improve in the of season. Right now both accuracy and especially shot power are not on an NHL level. Luckily for him he is elite in many other aspects of the game already.

Agree to disagree on the defense. I've not seen what you see, and I don't see it reflected in the analytics. I know you were originally comparing him to Stutzle in this aspect, so just to be clear I can't really comment on Hughes vs. Stutzle defensively as I haven't really watched Stutzle enough to have an opinion.

As far as finishing goes, I think it's more than just his shot, which I don't think is all that awful actually. It's also shot selection and just generally converting xG's into goals. Hughes caught a lot of iron this year (among the league leaders in posts hit I believe) so some of it is just lousy luck, but there were also a lot of just opportunities where there were pucks loose in the slot and you just felt that an older, stronger, more confident Jack Hughes would find a way to finish.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

As far as finishing goes, I think it's more than just his shot, which I don't think is all that awful actually. It's also shot selection and just generally converting xG's into goals. Hughes caught a lot of iron this year (among the league leaders in posts hit I believe) so some of it is just lousy luck, but there were also a lot of just opportunities where there were pucks loose in the slot and you just felt that an older, stronger, more confident Jack Hughes would find a way to finish.

Hughes had some bad luck and could have scored more Goals this year I agree with you on that. However I disagree with you that this explains his abysmal shooting percentage this year. Most of his goals where scored within the slot area or just outside of it. He does seem to have the ability to find some free net when he is close quite well. However from a greater distance his shot seems lacking in many departments. His release seems somewhat week and telegraphed. And on top of that his attempt go wide on a regular basis. I am not saying he wont be able to improve his shot in the future. But looking at Stützle right now, this is definitely an area where the German has a big edge at the moment and probably will have over the course of their careers.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hughes has the biggest upside. Skating, passing and vision are of the charts. The question will be, if he can round out his game as Stützle has less deficiencies in areas as shooting ability and defensive game.

I don't know about that. Stutzle can do everything Hughes can do plus he's bigger, stronger, and has a heavier shot.

I would maybe give Hughes the slight edge on vision but it's very close. I also think he's a much better defensive player.

I actually think Hughes may have the higher floor just because he's already proven to be a very effective play driving center. I think there is a decent chance that Stutzle stays on the wing.

I see Hughes as as a 25g 80p center in his prime. If Stutzle stays on the wing he should become a 40g 80p player. As a center he's probably more like a 30g 85p guy.

Suzuki really doesn't belong in the conversation with these two 19 year olds.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Hughes had some bad luck and could have scored more Goals this year I agree with you on that. However I disagree with you that this explains his abysmal shooting percentage this year. Most of his goals where scored within the slot area or just outside of it. He does seem to have the ability to find some free net when he is close quite well. However from a greater distance his shot seems lacking in many departments. His release seems somewhat week and telegraphed. And on top of that his attempt go wide on a regular basis. I am not saying he wont be able to improve his shot in the future. But looking at Stützle right now, this is definitely an area where the German has a big edge at the moment and probably will have over the course of their careers.

Definitely agree on the poor release. I think it's the main reason his shot is so poor. Hopefully it will improve somewhat over time, but I also agree that it's unlikely he'll ever be the finisher Stutzle is.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I don't know about that. Stutzle can do everything Hughes can do plus he's bigger, stronger, and has a heavier shot.

I would maybe give Hughes the slight edge on vision but it's very close. I also think he's a much better defensive player.

I actually think Hughes may have the higher floor just because he's already proven to be a very effective play driving center. I think there is a decent chance that Stutzle stays on the wing.

I see Hughes as as a 25g 80p center in his prime. If Stutzle stays on the wing he should become a 40g 80p player. As a center he's probably more like a 30g 85p guy.

Suzuki really doesn't belong in the conversation with these two 19 year olds.

I think Hughes' edge in vision and skating and passing are quite sizable compared to Stützle. This is not a knack on Stützle in those areas I just think Hughes is absolutely special in those departments. I think Stützles overall upside is not to far behind Hughes' an he will be the more well rounded player.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hughes has the best upside, Stützle is very good also but seems like he's the shiny new toy as far as prospects go.

Shiny new toy who had a similar year statistically to Jack Hughes. If you think Hughes has a higher upside thats fine, but Stutzle is a dynamic player and has a high upside himself more than a shiny new toy.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Stutzle is the shiny new toy who ended the season on a high note, while Hughes had a very disappointing rookie year and second season marred by COVID and inconsistent production. It makes sense that Stutzle is leading this poll, he is an excellent young player.

That being said - IMO Hughes has the higher raw talent ceiling of the two, and his defensive and possession metrics were actually really excellent this season. Quite literally the only thing missing from his game is finishing, both himself and his linemates. As soon as NJ gives him a finisher his point totals will explode.

Suzuki has absolutely no business being mentioned in the same breath as the other two.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Hughes and Stützle are so different, it is almost impossible to compare them. Since I like both teams, I watched almost all of their respective games. I personally would chose Hughes because I think he has the higher ceiling of the two. Together on one line, they could be a deadly combination...

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Hughes and Stützle are so different, it is almost impossible to compare them. Since I like both teams, I watched almost all of their respective games. I personally would chose Hughes because I think he has the higher ceiling of the two. Together on one line, they could be a deadly combination...

I disagree with this statement, both players are rather similar from my perspective.

Mind elaborating on that thought; explaining why you think that?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Stutzle is the shiny new toy who ended the season on a high note, while Hughes had a very disappointing rookie year and second season marred by COVID and inconsistent production. It makes sense that Stutzle is leading this poll, he is an excellent young player.

That being said - IMO Hughes has the higher raw talent ceiling of the two, and his defensive and possession metrics were actually really excellent this season. Quite literally the only thing missing from his game is finishing, both himself and his linemates. As soon as NJ gives him a finisher his point totals will explode.

Suzuki has absolutely no business being mentioned in the same breath as the other two.

First part of that sentence is moot since every player in the league dealt with the same Covid situation; including Stützle.

As for the second part, how can “inconsistency” be anything other than the players fault? Should be no excuse.

Reactions: gab6511 and jbeck5

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

One is only a shiny new toy if you were completely unaware of him as a prospect coming into the year...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He can be both, I agree with you that Stutzle has a high upside.

Maybe it's just me but shiny new toy has a bit of a negative connotation. Comes across as if the attention he is getting isn't deserved.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I'm amused by the fact that the OP picks the "complete player" in Suzuki in this poll, and then opts for the "high ceiling offensive player" in the Pinto vs. Caufield poll.

HF is a joke lol.
To be fair, he doesn't represent HF. Plus, I voted for Caufield and voted for Stutzle here. Be careful of the loud minority; most Habs fans would vote for Hughes or Stutzle as Suzuki has much fewer votes than the other 2 guys.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be fair, he doesn't represent HF. Plus, I voted for Caufield and voted for Stutzle here. Be careful of the loud minority; most Habs fans would vote for Hughes or Stutzle as Suzuki has much fewer votes than the other 2 guys.

I'm just poking fun at the OP and his propensity to say that "HF is a joke, lol".

I voted Caufield and Stutzle too.

tenor.gif

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
For me it's between Stutzle and Suzuki (no disrespect to Hughes). As a rookie Tim already put up the same rate of scoring as Jack did in his sophomore season, and while both players could certainly ramp things up to another level in their next seasons respectively, I think the fact that Tim's already done what he has as a rookie prepares his to be that much better next season. Meanwhile I am a believer in building around an all-situations kind of top line C, and Suzuku definitely fits that billing (teams look for that Bergeron type center to shutdown the other team's best players and put up their own numbers, and Suzuki is definitely capable too).

I think Tim would have the highest offensive upside to be a game-breaker (along with the smarts and size for a sound defensive game), while Nick makes an impact all over the ice, but Tim just might be the better player (I think Hughes would be a star in his own right but just [without seeing him as much] he's not someone that I would consider at this moment ahead of the other two).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad