Who would you take moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hughes or Stutzle.
Suzuki is a fine young player but he’s not going to end up close to these two.
This reminds me of that game we played as kids: One of these is not like the others. :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I see 90 points upside in both Stutzle and Hughes a la Panarin.

Suzuki should be good for a few PPG years or just under as a responsible 2way C.

As a team starved for both offensive talent and centers I have a hard time choosing as Im not sure the prior two are all situation centers.

Ribeiro to Zetterberg? I think thats a good ultimate upside for both. (The great Ribeiro, not the done up broken down one.)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Stutzle by far.

Hughes has to many excuses to overcome to reach his ceiling and Suzuki doesn’t have the ceiling of the other two and this Bergeron comparison is hyperbolic. These two are weak 1C/strong 2C.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I picked Stutz over Hughes, but honestly?
Being a C might massively factor into why Hughes gets picked by many.

It's really too early to tell, but man, Stutzle is a goal scoring machine.

I really like Suzuki, but I'm not sure why Nick Suzuki is in this poll. He's 21, and closer to his ceiling.

If Hughes and Stutzle cap out to where Suzuki is, they'd both be considered massive disappointments given their draft pedigree.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I picked Stutz over Hughes, but honestly?
Being a C might massively factor into why Hughes gets picked by many.

It's really too early to tell, but man, Stutzle is a goal scoring machine.

I really like Suzuki, but I'm not sure why Nick Suzuki is in this poll. He's 21, and closer to his ceiling.

If Hughes and Stutzle cap out to where Suzuki is, they'd both be considered massive disappointments given their draft pedigree.
Nick is nowhere near his ceiling. Hes also playing on the worst offense in the league.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Nick is nowhere near his ceiling. Hes also playing on the worst offense in the league.

about the same as Ottawa's which also is not good, but similar stats in teh same division. Devils are even worse but their division seems a bit less chaotic.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Literally no team in the league would consider taking Suzuki over Stutzle, regardless of team need....

I love the city of Montreal, and my Norman-Canadian family heritage/history has ties to the city and the Qc province. And I love the Habs fans and their relentless dedication and energy. The French Canadian culture is so much a part of what helps to make Canada a diverse and special country.

But without a doubt there is no other fanbase that is as brash or coy about making an argument for one of their players, in a debate they have no business being invited to in the first place, as the habs fans are...

Call em whatever derogatory adjective you'd like for 'not very intelligent' - but dont you dare question these mad lads and their hearts. They're the hockey fan equivalents of Rocky Balboa - one that doesn't win his miss-matches miraculously after taking a life threatening amount of damage, ok sure - but these homies are coming straight at you with mega pressure and an iron chin every, single, time.

Logically they should have just sat down... Its Hfboards, just take it on the chin, lay low for a few days/weeks... We've all been there, right....?

But no. Not habs fans. 20 pages and 6 months later, and they'll still be coming at you for more, and from all possible angles..

Again I appreciate their passion, and dont really want them to change anything that they're doing to be quite honest (this is all part of the bigger "show"). But their track record speaks for itself. And you dont have to look far/hard to see the terrible/mediocre/slightly above average players of theirs (many former ones) that have gone toe-to-toe with some of the leagues very best, and then barely made it to the starters line....time and time again....
In all of this you forgot to mention that, as a rookie... Suzuki outproduced both rookie season and even Hughes sophomore season while being defensively sound and drawing first matchups :(

It must rock to live in your own reality

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

At 21, he's really only a couple of years away from his peak. But he's a very smart player.
At his absolute career year, I can see maybe 25 goals, 65-70 points? So a lower end 1C

I see him as a Ryan Nugent Hopkins type player (don't take that as an insult).
He's a fantastic player, but I'm not sure he can carry a franchise.

With Hughes I can see him flirt with PPG. Closer to Elias Petterson.
With Stutzle, I see flashes of a perennial 30-40 goal scorer.

Keep in mind, I am frequently VERY wrong about most players (as are most people including professional scouts).
Development is almost never linear.

But I don't see any signs of Suzuki breaking out and becoming a dynamic 90 point player who opponents target. I see quite a bit of his career (I live in Montreal, and they're a secondary team of mine), and I do notice most of Suzuki's offense comes off the rush or on the perimeter with smart plays.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hughes is going to make this thread silly.

Doesn't seem like it now but this type of stuff is bordering on McDavid-Eichel draft year silliness. Only one of these guys is a zone-entry, shot generating, takeaway machine.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
At 21, he's really only a couple of years away from his peak. But he's a very smart player.
At his absolute career year, I can see maybe 25 goals, 65-70 points? So a lower end 1C

I see him as a Ryan Nugent Hopkins type player (don't take that as an insult).
He's a fantastic player, but I'm not sure he can carry a franchise.

With Hughes I can see him flirt with PPG. Closer to Elias Petterson.
With Stutzle, I see flashes of a perennial 30-40 goal scorer.

Keep in mind, I am frequently VERY wrong about most players (as are most people including professional scouts).
Development is almost never linear.

But I don't see any signs of Suzuki breaking out and becoming a dynamic 90 point player who opponents target. I see quite a bit of his career (I live in Montreal, and they're a secondary team of mine), and I do notice most of Suzuki's offense comes off the rush or on the perimeter with smart plays.

So you think he's 10 points away from his ceiling as a 21 YO sophomore playing against top lines with horrible team offense, league worst defensive transition and being able to produce 21 points in 24 games while playing 24 games in 43 days ?

Come on, thats ridiculous. He won't be a 90 points player, maybe mid 80s, but he has 100% PPG potential and hes much better than these guys defensively.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So you think he's 10 points away from his ceiling as a 21 YO sophomore playing against top lines with horrible team offense, league worst defensive transition and being able to produce 21 points in 24 games while playing 24 games in 43 days ?

Come on, thats ridiculous. He won't be a 90 points player, maybe mid 80s, but he has 100% PPG potential and hes much better than these guys defensively.

Mid 8o's?

That would put him into the same tier as guys like:
Tyler Seguin
Mark Scheifele
Sebastien Aho
Alex Barkov
Nick Backstrom
Jack Eichel
John Tavares

Not only is Suzuki not in that tier, he has never shown the ability to ever be placed in that tier.

Maybe I'm wrong (I don't think I am) but he doesn't have that level in him dude.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Mid 8o's?

That would put him into the same tier as guys like:
Tyler Seguin
Mark Scheifele
Sebastien Aho
Alex Barkov
Nick Backstrom
Jack Eichel
John Tavares

Not only is Suzuki not in that tier, he has never shown the ability to ever be placed in that tier.

Maybe I'm wrong (I don't think I am) but he doesn't have that level in him dude.
Why not? He has produced high level offense everywhere he went. Hes a 60 pts C at 21 YO, care to look at the list of playera who havr accomplished that?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Hughes has the heightest ceiling but I highly doubt he reaches it.
Stutzle is a surefire top-line winger 90 points in his prime.
Suzuki is a decent top-6 center who tops at ~70 points.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Hughes has the heightest ceiling but I highly doubt he reaches it.
Stutzle is a surefire top-line winger 90 points in his prime.
Suzuki is a decent top-6 center who tops at ~70 points.
Can I ask how you manage to highly doubt Jack Hughes reaching his ceiling while projecting Stuetzle to be a 90pt surefire winger? Jack Hughes isnt even a year older.

Thats some incredible mental gymnastics to go from one to the other

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

If the Habs have “horrible team offense” and Suzuki leads forwards in TOI, PP TOI and by far the most offensive faceoffs maybe he has a large part to play in how the team offense goes. Sounds to me like he is playing over his head and if the Habs want to take that offensive step he needs to be a secondary offensive player rather than the primary.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why not? He has produced high level offense everywhere he went. Hes a 60 pts C at 21 YO, care to look at the list of playera who havr accomplished that?

I like Suzuki a lot, and I don't to shit on player I like.

I wouldn't say he WON'T hit PPG level, but he would have to make an incredibly rare jump that not many players of his level or pedigree have been able to make.
It's just rare as hell to see that happen, especially when the signs aren't there at 21.

It's also not about raw numbers either. When a player like Nathan MacKinnon scored 53 points when he was 22, we still saw the immense speed, the easy zone entries, shot selection, vision, and power. We knew that 53 was an aberration, and it wouldn't take long for him to put it together. You could tell back then, he was the catalyst for creating absolute chaos in the offensive zone, and he would force defenses into scrambles.

Suzuki doesn't have those raw skills to lean on. He just has his vision, and smarts, and has a knack for finding open ice.
But he plays largely on the perimeter. He pretty much has the raw skills of a guy like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins , but is better on the rush, and not quite as great on set-plays.

I mean, I've watched most of Suzuki's career and yeah, he's a good player. But would I swap Aho or Barkov for him? f*** no.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Can I ask how you manage to highly doubt Jack Hughes reaching his ceiling while projecting Stuetzle to be a 90pt surefire winger? Jack Hughes isnt even a year older.

Thats some incredible mental gymnastics to go from one to the other

Because unlike Stutzle, Hughes has failed to reach expectations in two years in the NHL.
Yes, it's still way to early to say he won't reach his potential, but I have the right to have some doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad