Who would you take moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Except Stuetzle was in a mens league prior; so in reality Jacks sophomore year, where theyre only six months apart, Is a more accurate representation of two guys in their second years of pro hockey

Hughes is 8 months older and a full year of hockey more experienced. Stutzle playing in pro league doesn't mean much, it's because of how good he was skill wise, not how polished he was all-around.

SensBrawler's post was more accurate than yours. Hughes is a great young player. Stutzle looks to be on the path to stardom. He put up similar offensive statistics than Hughes in his rookie year than Hughes in his sophomore(both). Although Hughes did hone his all-around game much better.

Not sure why the very defensive posts I see here from some Devils fans. Stutzle has top 5 player in the league potential. This is not a slight on Hughes on bit.

A poster above saying it's comical Stutzle leading by 60%? Is it really?

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
That's comparing a sophomore season to a rookie season though. There's often a huge adjustment period for players like Stutzle/Hughes in their rookie season, so an extra off-season can be very beneficial. If you compare their rookie seasons analytically, it's much more similar.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd15cf282-6420-46bd-a5cd-515c797a5adf_760x830.png

Breaking Down Jack Hughes' Disappointing Rookie Season - JFresh’s Newsletter (substack.com)
Well Stutzle is only 8 months younger, was playing in a pro league against men before and is bigger and had a more NHL ready style of game.

That being said, I would expect Stutzle to improve but I would be surprised if he is anywhere close to as good as Jack was this year. Some people are just looking at RAW points and concluding that Stutzle is younger and had similar point totals so he’s going to be better. The reality is that Jack Hughes was really good this year and controlled the play when he was on the ice. He doesn’t have the point totals to match it but he affected the game a lot in other ways and created a ton of offence for himself and teammates and the point totals will come with time and a better team. Tim Stutzle wasn’t close to as good as Hughes this year and I wouldn’t assume that just because Jack took such a big leap going into his second season Stutzle will as well. Stutzle was much more NHL ready and Hughes is more skilled and still has a ton of room to grow.

Reactions: HBK27

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Except Stuetzle was in a mens league prior; so in reality Jacks sophomore year, where theyre only six months apart, Is a more accurate representation of two guys in their second years of pro hockey

Don't really agree. Stutzle was playing in a men's league, but it's the DEL which is several notches below the NHL in terms of quality of competition. Not to mention the difference between ice surface. Stutzle had to get used to having less space, something that Hughes didn't have to deal with.

Also, not sure why you're saying they're six months apart. Jack Hughes was born May 14, 2001. Tim Stutzle was born January 15, 2002. That's an eight month difference.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Hughes is 8 months older and a full year of hockey more experienced. Stutzle playing in pro league doesn't mean much, it's because of how good he was skill wise, not how polished he was all-around.

SensBrawler's post was more accurate than yours. Hughes is a great young player. Stutzle looks to be on the path to stardom. He put up similar offensive statistics than Hughes in his rookie year than Hughes in his sophomore(both). Although Hughes did hone his all-around game much better.

Not sure why the very defensive posts I see here from some Devils fans. Stutzle has top 5 player in the league potential. This is not a slight on Hughes on bit.
Come on man you can’t say Stutzle playing in a pro league doesn’t mean much. That’s just stupid. He was playing against fully grown men who were better competition. Hughes was playing against other kids and dominating. There is a huge difference in the amount of adjustment required.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Don't really agree. Stutzle was playing in a men's league, but it's the DEL which is several notches below the NHL in terms of quality of competition. Not to mention the difference between ice surface. Stutzle had to get used to having less space, something that Hughes didn't have to deal with.

Also, not sure why you're saying they're six months apart. Jack Hughes was born May 14, 2001. Tim Stutzle was born January 15, 2002. That's an eight month difference.
The DEL is much better competition than Jack was playing and full grown men

Reactions: Goomba

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021

Okay so eight months; doesnt change much nor Stuetzle being more ready for a pro game because he played pro before

Theres absolutely nothing fair about comparing Hughes' rookie year, a jump from the USNDTP, to Stuetzle's from the German league

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Come on man you can’t say Stutzle playing in a pro league doesn’t mean much. That’s just stupid. He was playing against fully grown men who were better competition. Hughes was playing against other kids and dominating. There is a huge difference in the amount of adjustment required.

Huh? Brother, Stutzle is the better player. Hughes is great but Stutzle's ceiling is greater. Stutzle's physical tools alone give him a dimension Hughes will likely never have. Not sure why many are offended at this notion. Is it cause Hughes was picked higher? It was a weaker draft year.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Okay so eight months; doesnt change much nor Stuetzle being more ready for a pro game because he played pro before

Theres absolutely nothing fair about comparing Hughes' rookie year, a jump from the USNDTP, to Stuetzle's from the German league

And that's why Stutzle put up a similar statistical season to Hughes' sophomore year :laugh:

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Huh? Brother, Stutzle is the better player. Hughes is great but Stutzle's ceiling is greater. Stutzle's physical tools alone give him a dimension Hughes will likely never have. Not sure why many are offended at this notion. Is it cause Hughes was picked higher? It was a weaker draft year.
Way to discuss anything the poster you quoted, mentioned

im sure your reasoning is sound lmfao

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
The DEL is much better competition than Jack was playing and full grown men

But my point is that there's still a huge gap between leagues that requires an adjustment period. He's playing against men, but most of them never have or will get close to playing in the NHL. Plus, there's the difference in the size of ice surface, which meant that Stutzle had to adjust to less time to move the puck, a different game structure and more contact between players.

Whether you want to argue that Hughes had a bit more of a jump to the NHL, I honestly don't care. My main point is that both players had up and down rookie seasons because they both had to adjust to major jumps between their leagues. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other teenager that went straight from the USHL to the NHL and I can't think of any other teenager that went straight from the DEL to the NHL.

Reactions: TS Quint and Bileur

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Way to discuss anything the poster you quoted, mentioned

im sure your reasoning is sound lmfao

All of your arguments are brutally flawed.

What are your arguments even? That Hughes is greater all-around player a year older? I am confused. It sure as hell isn't about points cause Stutzle's rookie season rivals Hughes' sophomore one.

And if it is about Hughes being better all-around, what's your argument against it being Stutzle's rookie year? That Stutzle was playing in 8th-10th best pro league in the world?

Stutzle in his first 13 games in the NHL was -13.

In his last 40 games he was -5.

Hughes was unequivocally the worst on his team. and he got WORSE as the season went along. Completely the opposite as Stutzle. He went -7 in his first 30 games and -17 in his last 24 games.

Stutzle projects as the better player and has progressed far better in his rookie year and so on vs Hughes, not sure why this is some sort of inane assumption.

Is your argument Hughes is still physically immature? Stutzle was getting bodied off the puck left and right but was physical phenom against his own age group. Stutzle's physical maturity has a far greater edge--especially due to body frame--than Hughes'.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Hughes was far better this season. I watched both teams a ton. Hughes has more skill and a higher ceiling. Nobody’s offended, just completely disagree with you. Does me not agreeing with you offend you?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hughes was far better this season. I watched both teams a ton. Hughes has more skill and a higher ceiling. Nobody’s offended, just completely disagree with you. Does me not agreeing with you offend you?

Hughes was definitely better this season; being a year older I would hope so. He doesn't have more skill but ok, lol.

I'll wait to see how Stutzle preforms in his sophomore year though to compare him to Hughes this season. See you next year.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Stuetzle is my homer pick, but that's no slight to Hughes, he had a good season, made some good progress and still very young, wouldn't surprise me if he ended up having a slightly better career in the long run, but I think they will both be pretty close. He just happened to enter the league prematurely with an under developed body and needs to mature physically, and the team around him needs to get better, but he will become a star eventually. Suzuki is a level below.

Reactions: Goomba

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hughes is 3rd in this trio. Suzuki is incredibly underrated.

At 19, Suzuki was still in the OHL.

Meanwhile, Hughes was the 2nd leading scorer on an NHL team, putting up excellent underlying numbers as a 19 year old. He's already one of the best puck carriers in the league (I believe he's among the leaders in controlled zone entries).

Suzuki is a very good young player, who projects as a reliable top 20-25 center. But he's just not on the same tier of elite talents like Hughes and Stutzle, who both project as guys who could be top 5 at their position.

Hughes has become incredibly underrated, especially by stat watchers. Anyone who watched him play this year knows that he's on the verge of putting up big numbers. He's going to start next year with another 5-10 lbs of muscle (and hopefully some of the puck luck he's due) and go off for 70+ points.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't know about that. I think he was probably a bit better overall, especially in the neutral zone, but I felt like Stutzle was more dangerous when he'd get the puck in the offensive zone.

But I will say that despite being 6 months older, Stutzle's has a much more NHL ready body. Not sure who has more room for physical development, but you're not going to find many players in the NHL at Hughes current size and build.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
At 19, Suzuki was still in the OHL.

Meanwhile, Hughes was the 2nd leading scorer on an NHL team, putting up excellent underlying numbers as a 19 year old. He's already one of the best puck carriers in the league (I believe he's among the leaders in controlled zone entries).

Suzuki is a very good young player, who projects as a reliable top 20-25 center. But he's just not on the same tier of elite talents like Hughes and Stutzle, who both project as guys who could be top 5 at their position.

Hughes has become incredibly underrated, especially by stat watchers. Anyone who watched him play this year knows that he's on the verge of putting up big numbers. He's going to start next year with another 5-10 lbs of muscle (and hopefully some of the puck luck he's due) and go off for 70+ points.
Development is different for all so that doesn’t matter.

I don’t care for underlying numbers. They’re a business for snake oil salesmen. Not an effective way to measure player value.

I’m also not overly concerned what others project or think. I go based on what I see relative to what I know.

Stutzle is the most dynamic. Elite skater, puck skills, instincts etc. He’s a star in the making and can see the game like a centre. Likely he makes the move as soon as next year.

Suzuki plays an incredibly detailed and mature game for his age. So much of what he does are things you can’t really teach or develop. His impact on winning is what you’re looking for in a centre man.

Hughes is a winger with talent and clearly years work into the tangible skills but lacks that ‘it’ factor and for me. I also think should have been playing in the CHL to adjust to the physicality. These soft and slight players that don’t know how to use their body have a tough time adjusting to playing with men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->