Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
It's probably most him being undersized but the bust potential is certainly there. IF you are the worst top draft pick in over 20 years that's saying something

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
I feel for Hughes, no way was he physically ready for the NHL, could have benefitted from a year in college much like his brother to get stronger and more used to playing more physically developed players. I think in the end he'll turn out fine, but it's very clear he wasn't ready for this level, and I feel the Devils forced it.

Not sure on Kakko, I thought he'd be pretty good since he was used to playing against men, maybe the jump to NA ice was tougher for him. As an Avs fan, we played Rantanen a year in the AHL, to help him adjust to the NA ice and game, it work very well, wonder if this would have benefitted Kakko as well.

Dach not surprised he isn't putting up huge numbers, really surprised he stuck around, even though he has the size, not sure he was quite ready for that big of talent jump from Juniors to NHL. I feel another year of dominating the WHL would have been beneficial.
I think Dach has the potential to be the best of the three. Watching him play against us (Vancouver), he was a presence on most shifts and I was impressed with what I saw out of him, granted we're definitely not that great at playing defense. Give him a year or two to adjust.

Hughes and Kakko could go either way imo

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I think Dach has the potential to be the best of the three. Watching him play against us (Vancouver), he was a presence on most shifts and I was impressed with what I saw out of him, granted we're definitely not that great at playing defense. Give him a year or two to adjust.

Hughes and Kakko could go either way imo

Have you watched Hughes recently? Marked improvement from the first half.

Reactions: calnuck

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Have you watched Hughes recently? Marked improvement from the first half.
Honestly, can't say I have. If he's improving that's great as he has a lot of potential and the more high skill guys in the league the better. I'll have to watch him a little more.
Those who are saying he's heading for Stefan territory are bonkers though. From a numbers perspective he blows him out of the water at every level. 1999 was an ugly draft year

Reactions: Blackjack

Jack Flask

Jan 21, 2020
Yes. Hes an exceptional skater with great skillsets. He came in a little early and should have developed in the minors or whatever.
Give him 2 years and 30 pounds, he’ll be good

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
In his 2 games against the Flyers, he was the only Devil that stood out. He’ll be fine.

I guess you stopped at 99, because Lecavalier and Thornton were in 98 and 97. They didn’t get off to hot starts.
He stopped at 99 because of Stefan. That’s how stats work.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I've been catching devils games

He has no confidence. Totally different than his brother Quinn

Looks like David Desharnais/rookie Pastrnak out there. That being said, he will be an elite player. His hockey iq and skating will prrvent him from being a stefan or yakupov

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Going from the USNDT to the NHL was an enormous jump, bigger than juniors to the NHL for sure. He's super immature physically and this is likely the first adversity he's ever face in his career.

His skill and vision is obvious but he's still adjusting to the lack of time and space at the NHL level

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Whether Hughes becomes a 60 point two way star or blossoms into a Johnny Gaudreau/Patrick Kane style player, I think he has a good ceiling and will have a good career.

On what planet will Hughes become a two way star? I don’t think anyone is projecting that right now. His potential stardom is as a playmaking center, not a two way player. He’s simply not built for that.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
On what planet will Hughes become a two way star? I don’t think anyone is projecting that right now. His potential stardom is as a playmaking center, not a two way player. He’s simply not built for that.
It's not a matter of being built for two way play (Marchand is a great two way player and he's 5"9), it's a matter of having the will and desire. I don't think that he has those: two way play is way less fun than playing offense.

Reactions: NinjaKick

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Going from the USNDT to the NHL was an enormous jump, bigger than juniors to the NHL for sure. He's super immature physically and this is likely the first adversity he's ever face in his career.

His skill and vision is obvious but he's still adjusting to the lack of time and space at the NHL level

That's my take as well.

Could it be that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts when looking how good those guys were coming into the draft?

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
It's probably most him being undersized but the bust potential is certainly there. IF you are the worst top draft pick in over 20 years that's saying something
if only anyone knew what it was saying...

kid could easily have a great career still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad