Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Except thats not how that works

That poster was trying to discredit Jack stating Simmonds is a 30+goal scorer ‘pretty much’ all the time

Except he hasnt been for an entire three+ seasons now

So ‘pretty much’ Wayne Simmonds sucks eggs

..so Joe Thornton isn’t pretty much good for 50 assists then?

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I think we have been kind of spoiled the last decade with talent. Not every draft year is going to provide a superstar, and there have been some seriously bad draft years for the first top five picks (1999, 2012 off the top of my head)

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Every small American gets compared to Pat Kane, 3 time champ and a HOF player. We have one in Keller who scored 65 points on a very bad team his first year, looks like it could be his career high as his play has fallen off the cliff the last 2 years. Hughes may be a ok player but stardom is a dream.
You should open up a service and tell people what their children will become when they graduate high school - since, you know, you seem to have peoples futures figured out before they can even legally drink

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
He is not alone though. That is weird to see...
86776571_2688938411223214_1625294759578828800_n.png

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
He reminds me a lot of a worse Tyler Seguin during his rookie year. Always trying to make the spectacular play which usually results in a bad turnover or wasted possession. Seguin had some flashes of brilliance that I haven't really seen with Hughes + he didn't get all of the prime minutes / PP time that Hughes gets. I'm guessing Hughes tops out as a 40-50 point middle/bottom 6er, closest comparison - Marcus Johansson.

I stand by this prediction from December, Hughes is absolutely nothing special. Marcus Johansson may have been too generous of a player comparison...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I just had a feeling things weren't gonna go his way this year when that girl wouldn't lift her shirt for him in the summer.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Teenagers won't set the league on fire, be patient.

Some of these players (Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Kotkaniemi) might have difficulties for a couple of years and turn a corner at 21-22-23 years old...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I feel for Hughes, no way was he physically ready for the NHL, could have benefitted from a year in college much like his brother to get stronger and more used to playing more physically developed players. I think in the end he'll turn out fine, but it's very clear he wasn't ready for this level, and I feel the Devils forced it.

Not sure on Kakko, I thought he'd be pretty good since he was used to playing against men, maybe the jump to NA ice was tougher for him. As an Avs fan, we played Rantanen a year in the AHL, to help him adjust to the NA ice and game, it work very well, wonder if this would have benefitted Kakko as well.

Dach not surprised he isn't putting up huge numbers, really surprised he stuck around, even though he has the size, not sure he was quite ready for that big of talent jump from Juniors to NHL. I feel another year of dominating the WHL would have been beneficial.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I feel for Hughes, no way was he physically ready for the NHL, could have benefitted from a year in college much like his brother to get stronger and more used to playing more physically developed players. I think in the end he'll turn out fine, but it's very clear he wasn't ready for this level, and I feel the Devils forced it.

Not sure on Kakko, I thought he'd be pretty good since he was used to playing against men, maybe the jump to NA ice was tougher for him. As an Avs fan, we played Rantanen a year in the AHL, to help him adjust to the NA ice and game, it work very well, wonder if this would have benefitted Kakko as well.

Dach not surprised he isn't putting up huge numbers, really surprised he stuck around, even though he has the size, not sure he was quite ready for that big of talent jump from Juniors to NHL. I feel another year of dominating the WHL would have been beneficial.
It absolutely has. His game revolves around maneuvering with possession below the hashmarks, and the gaps are closed much faster in the NHL. I think people exaggerated how physically ready he was too, he's only 199 lbs. He's already good at drawing penalties which is encouraging. His giveaways/takeaways are both top-3 on the team. Kid has some of the fastest hands I've ever seen, I still think he's going to be a monster when he fills out and adjusts to the time/space on the ice. Very good on the PP but has played on the 2nd unit most of the season which kind of sucks.

I mean Draisaitl only had 2G 7A in 37GP as a rookie and he's the best player in the world right now. Hughes is going to be a star, some of the comments about him in here are not going to age well.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Hughes will be a Hart candidate for years... staring in about 2-3 years. He is a top-tier talent and superstar in the making. I have no doubt he will be competing with McDavid and Eichel soon. And then he will become a reference point for how not to judge a 18 y/o's performance.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Right now the top10 in scoring included 4 players that had worse rookie seasons or weren't even in the NHL at this point.

Draisaitl 9p in 37gp in his d+1 season

Panarin was a 0.5 p/gp player in khl up to what would've been his d+4 season

Marchand had 1p in 20gp in his d+4 season

Kucherov had 18p in 52gp in his d+3 season

Plenty of other notable talented players that didn't have what it takes right away. Including Rantanen, Marner, Pastrnak, Zibanejad, Huberdeau and many more

Both Hughes and Kakko have incredible talent and have shown glimpses of it in the NHL too. That talent will be realized sooner or later for both of them. Most draft years have had 1 or 2 players who were truly ready for nhl right away. Just because this one didn't have that one player, doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad draft year either

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Hughes will be a Hart candidate for years... staring in about 2-3 years. He is a top-tier talent and superstar in the making. I have no doubt he will be competing with McDavid and Eichel soon. And then he will become a reference point for how not to judge a 18 y/o's performance.
No he won’t be. Hughes is just not the hyped player they made him out to be. Could see that before he ever even made the NJ team.

Hughes will be a RNH and not a McDavid or Eichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad