Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If Hughes fails, I’m going down with the ship. I still think he’ll be the best player from his draft class. Too much talent and too good of a skater to not get it figured out.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He played on lines with guys like Wayne Simmonds and Miles Wood. He most certainly missed on a minimum of 10-12 points if not more

I covered this in my post.

And no, he didn't. Thats an absurd suggestion that if the Devils were a good team that he'd have at least 10-12 points more. Fans always suggest that if their favorite players played with better players that they'd score more. The only times I buy this are when the player clearly barely played, clearly played on the 3rd-4th line, and didn't get favorable situations, such as PP time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hughes have the most TOI/G, the highest place in the lineup and the most PP TOI/G among the three 2019 draftees that plays in the NHL this year? The other two weren't good either, yet his numbers were right around there's, despite having better situations. It's not a good excuse you are trying to use. He simply wasn't good enough. Own it.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I covered this in my post.

And no, he didn't. Thats an absurd suggestion that if the Devils were a good team that he'd have at least 10-12 points more. Fans always suggest that if their favorite players played with better players that they'd score more. The only times I buy this are when the player clearly barely played, clearly played on the 3rd-4th line, and didn't get favorable situations, such as PP time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hughes have the most TOI/G, the highest place in the lineup and the most PP TOI/G among the three 2019 draftees that plays in the NHL this year? The other two weren't good either, yet his numbers were right around there's, despite having better situations. It's not a good excuse you are trying to use. He simply wasn't good enough. Own it.
Lmao youre right, better linemates dont equal more points.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
We are too spoiled with having super productive #1 & #2 picks. I guess that means Hughes and Kakko will be overrated for their first season.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
I didn’t say that, but since you didn’t have a good reply, you came up with a straw-man.
And I quote

“Thats an absurd suggestion that if the Devils were a good team that he'd have at least 10-12 points more. Fans always suggest that if their favorite players played with better players that they'd score more.”

So, yeah, thats exactly what you said

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
And I quote

“Thats an absurd suggestion that if the Devils were a good team that he'd have at least 10-12 points more. Fans always suggest that if their favorite players played with better players that they'd score more.”

So, yeah, thats exactly what you said
Is this not you assuming points like he said? I fail to see the BIG "GOTTEM" here?

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Is this not you assuming points like he said? I fail to see the BIG "GOTTEM" here?
The fact that he said ‘thats not what I said’, then when I quoted it showed its exactly what he said...

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
As an old Thrashers fan, I think the concussions killed Stefan plus playing on an expansion team with limited veteran talent...
Agree, but Thrashers should of known better. Stefan had two concussions in IHL prior to being drafted. I think that is far too much injury risk to take a player at no.1 overall.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I dont think Jack's physical immaturity was as big a hinderence as some are making it out to be. He was one of the very best in the league this year lugging the puck and making things happen.

I think that rep is mostly from Kakko (and everybody really) thrashing Hughes in the IIHF worlds. Literally the coach couldn't put him on ice without getting him bulldozed.

He ll be fine after some NHL doctoring.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think that rep is mostly from Kakko (and everybody really) thrashing Hughes in the IIHF worlds. Literally the coach couldn't put him on ice without getting him bulldozed.

He ll be fine after some NHL doctoring.

Right, but that never really materialized in the NHL this season. He took his lumps but proved to be elusive. Players of his ilk learn to do that pretty quickly. The reality is he showed a lot of promise but had a disappointing season for a #1 overall pick. No doubt about that. Some of that was self-inflicted but there were some extraneous factors as well.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He didn't put up the points this year, but I'm not worried about him, I think he'll probably be a star.

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
I think there's a stigma against having #1 overalls not going directly to the NHL, as if it shows they're not confident in the player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

There isn't because he took it out of context deliberately. He cut off the part of my point that explains my view of the situation. I explained very clearly when it should apply and when it shouldn't. I also explained why it doesn't apply to Hughes, but since what I said doesn't favor his team's player, he cut that part out and eliminated all context.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils did not have the players to make the game easier for Hughes last year. Personally, I think that was the biggest problem with him and he was never able to build confidence or put in a position to succeed.

If you have a young, especially a weaker 18 year old player, you generally try to put them with a veteran or two. Maybe a young forward who plays a strong two-way game and isn't a pushover. Devils barely had that and two of their guys who would fall in that category (Zajac and Hischier) are centers through and through. Simmonds could've been that, but he's a shell of what he once was.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
If Hughes fails, I’m going down with the ship. I still think he’ll be the best player from his draft class. Too much talent and too good of a skater to not get it figured out.

To play devil's advocate same could've been said about Drouin who's of average size even. I think Hughes will be fine though.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Jack is gonna be great. He needs to bulk up a bit and learn more about the nhl game but he is a student of the game. He could have had at least 10 more points if some of our other players could bury his passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad