Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
He didn't seem NHL ready watching him play before the draft to my eyes, wide swing shot against slower dmen.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
He just turned 18 in May - not sure how it would've worked for a 17-year old to go to college last season. Would think he would've had to do something fast paced to at least graduate high school a year early. And it's debatable if being part of the USNTDP or a top college program would've been better for his development or not.

As for this season, even if his numbers versus previous #1 overall draft picks is disappointing, he's still clearly an NHL player. He's still tied for 6th on the team in scoring and should only get better as the season goes on. There's no one "right" way to develop a player, so being in the NHL for him this year versus college could be better long-term, who really knows. Financially it's also a huge advantage for him to be in the NHL as it gets him to his 2nd contract and UFA a year earlier.
He should have followed Quintin's path. College his draft season or if he wasnt smart enough to fastrack, he should have went this season. Q pushed a bit last season to jump in right away but Benning sat down with him and pushed for college. Feel bad for Devils fans, they had so much hope in the summer but every move Shiro made has sucked. Funny since he was given the GM of the year spot by some overzealous Devils fans.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Nope he was around 160, this season hes at 176.

Trust me, he was 176 last year, I remember seeing 176 on a lot of sites last year. He was 161 when he got drafted, are you telling me in his D+1 in Sweden and his D+2 in Van, he didn't gain any weight at All?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Trust me, he was 176 last year, I remember seeing 176 on a lot of sites last year. He was 161 when he got drafted, are you telling me in his D+1 in Sweden and his D+2 in Van, he didn't gain any weight at All?
He's on record saying he gained around 15lbs this summer. He's around 176 now. He didn't put on much weight until he came to the nucks.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I have no doubt he will be a superstar, and this thread was a little click baity, but I get its normal these days.

He's got Hughes' genetics. Look at his 1.5 yr older brother Quinn, and try to see Jack develop and mature physically in that time frame. Every time I've seen Jack he's been very good, and you can see that elite skating and vision. A little more strength and he'll begin to really control the ice like his big brother.

Reactions: xigon

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
NJ got pretty unlucky that of all the years to get 1OA, they got it two years where the consensus top players in those drafts didn't include definite top 10-15 1C's or 1D's. They got a low-end 1C, and a great winger whose going to lose them a lot of value playing center. But you can't feel too bad for them because plenty had Pettersson 1OA in 2017, and they were in the camp that underrated him. They also underrated Makar and Heiskanen, who both would've been better picks in hindsight. For 2019, no one has yet emerged clearly as a better prospect than Hughes. At the same time, even if they picked the best player, it's not looking like they picked a player with 1OA value. 2019 might've not had a 1OA caliber of player. I didn't think any of the 2019 draftees were 1OA caliber.

Hughes will start scoring more eventually. Hopefully he can also improve in other parts of the game because with his lack of scoring right now, and the value he loses you in other parts of the game, he's a bad NHL'er right now.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
He reminds me a lot of a worse Tyler Seguin during his rookie year. Always trying to make the spectacular play which usually results in a bad turnover or wasted possession. Seguin had some flashes of brilliance that I haven't really seen with Hughes + he didn't get all of the prime minutes / PP time that Hughes gets. I'm guessing Hughes tops out as a 40-50 point middle/bottom 6er, closest comparison - Marcus Johansson.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
He reminds me a lot of a worse Tyler Seguin during his rookie year. Always trying to make the spectacular play which usually results in a bad turnover or wasted possession. Seguin had some flashes of brilliance that I haven't really seen with Hughes + he didn't get all of the prime minutes / PP time that Hughes gets. I'm guessing Hughes tops out as a 40-50 point middle/bottom 6er, closest comparison - Marcus Johansson.
This is a terrible hockey opinion, you actually described nolan patrick when he feels like playing hockey, turn over machine.

Jack Hughes' real scouting report currently is that he seems to be deferring too much to struggling players like Hall, in a two game stretch Hughes fed hall FOUR perfect breakaways and he missed everyone.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Anyone who saw the World Cup last spring knew that he wasn't ready. However, today it's unsexy to send a 1st overall pick back to junior or college. You can't sell the brand when he's in the NCAA, right?

Now they don't even let him go to the WJC.

For the kid's sake I hope it all works out, and I'm far away from saying Yakupov, but imho the Devils are doing everything wrong.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Anyone who saw the World Cup last spring knew that he wasn't ready. However, today it's unsexy to send a 1st overall pick back to junior or college. You can't sell the brand when he's in the NCAA, right?

Now they don't even let him go to the WJC.

For the kid's sake I hope it all works out, and I'm far away from saying Yakupov, but imho the Devils are doing everything wrong.
Not releasing him for the WJC is a strange one. On the face of it the opportunity to dominate on that stage a be part of a potential championship team would be huge for his development. So, would a brief break from the NHL spotlight. It’s not as if the Devils are in the middle of a fight for a wild card spot.

There may be a very good reason, but it really isn’t apparent.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
No reason at all to worry. He's not even through his first half of a season. IMO even 35 points is pretty decent at 18 for this type of player. Hopefully he's learning how to play in the NHL rather than how to live up to hype.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is a terrible hockey opinion, you actually described nolan patrick when he feels like playing hockey, turn over machine.

Jack Hughes' real scouting report currently is that he seems to be deferring too much to struggling players like Hall, in a two game stretch Hughes fed hall FOUR perfect breakaways and he missed everyone.

What the f*** does this mean? He's dealing with a very serious medical condition that is completely out of his control right now. Do you know how debilitating migraine disorder is? Do some research.

Turnover machine? Have you ever even watched him play? He rarely skates into turnovers. He is smart with the puck. He has weaknesses in his game, but turnovers aint it. In fact, this whole take of yours aint it.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
It's only funny because this dude was hyped up so much at the draft and prior to this season and he was absolutely soaking in it

I'll think he'll be a good player going forward but after watching him play at the IIHF last summer I knew he wasn't going to do jack squat his rookie season

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

How does that example show he's deferring to Hall? Hall being open for a breakaway doesn't mean Hughes passed up his own scoring opertunity to feed him... If it were 4 2 on 0 breakaways and he passed everytime then sure.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Based on his hype entering the league, how did he compare to other 1st overalls?

I remember him having some hype behind him, in contrast, I dont remember Hischier having much.

Was Hughes still considered a low end 1st overall pick AT THE TIME of the draft?

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Based on his hype entering the league, how did he compare to other 1st overalls?

I remember him having some hype behind him, in contrast, I dont remember Hischier having much.

Was Hughes still considered a low end 1st overall pick AT THE TIME of the draft?
I thought he was pretty hyped compared to some other years, but also thought that part of it was because he's so good with the media. Also with Kakko having such a good end of the season, it became like a hype up match between the fans

Reactions: Fixxer and xigon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad