Jack Eichel ranking amongst top players

At which rank would Eichel be picked in a fantasy draft between all the current NHL players

• Total voters

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
This is the first year Eichel has led Matthews offensively and Eichel fans have handled it poorly. If you were to necrobump threads 5 years back the idea Auston was even comparable to Jack got you laughed off the boards, then over the next few years when it became apparent Matthews was superior in many ways these same fans would argue just to say Eichel was on Auston's level. Now Eichel back checks on the reg and has a 4 point lead on Auston and these same insecure fans have their chests all puffed out and talking crazy smack.

Only by leafs fans and they were just as laughably wrong then as they would be now.

I believe @Lahey provided me with some laughs not too long ago

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
So your defense to dumb reasoning is to use the same reasoning with a Sabres player?

Fact - Matthews has outscored Eichel at each comparable age.

Don’t know what the first part even means in reference to my post, and don’t know what the relevance of the second part is to my post.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Defense isn’t a strong suit for either one of Eichel or Matthews, and they’re about even in that department. What makes Matthews the far superior player is his offense.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Anyone saying Eichel is without a doubt behind Matthews is a biiiiiiig homer
They are close but Matthews has had the better career when comparing the same years 1vs1, 2vs2 etc. You guys are getting a little too excited by his extra 4 points ROFL.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Pasta
Draisaitl
Kane
Hedman
Eichel
Matthews
Ovechkin
Malkin
Barkov
Pettersson
Josi
Kucherov

So for me, he'd be 8th. I think there's a case to be made for him as high as 5th and as low as 15th.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
You joined in 2018, you're so far behind in this argument you're reduced to posting nonsense in place of one.

"nO, u GuYz eR rOnG!"

I'm glad you chimed in Goalofsson.

how many points do you Matthews and eichel get if they switched teams.

Vesey-Matthews-reinhart
Skinner-johannson-frolik

Vs

Hyman-Eichel-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander

If you think matthews does what he's doing now with that supporting cast you need to take the homer goggles off and wash your eyes

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Vesey-Matthews-reinhart
Skinner-johannson-frolik

Vs

Hyman-Eichel-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander

If you think matthews does what he's doing now with that supporting cast you need to take the homer goggles off and wash your eyes

That's a nice hypothetical, Plaura.

The only time we saw them together as pros was on team north america, where Matthews played himself up the lineup to be McDavid's wing and Eichel played himself down to the 3rd line.

Also, when Eichel was playing with the likes of ROR Matthews had a rookie Connor Brown and Zach Hyman as wings. So that's a poor argument.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019

The only time we saw them together as pros was on team north america, where Matthews played himself up the lineup to be McDavid's wing and Eichel played himself down to the 3rd line.

Also, when Eichel was playing with the likes of ROR Matthews had a rookie Connor Brown and Zach Hyman as wings. So that's a poor argument.
Lol poor argument? so you bringing up matthews line mates from 3 years ago is a better argument/more valid ? Talking about present day chief, 2020 baby Eichel > Matthews

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019

Eichel having a better season than matthews

BUTBUTBUT matthews played with hyman and connor brown that one time.

Bold move cotton

Reactions: Paul4587

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Vesey-Matthews-reinhart
Skinner-johannson-frolik

Vs

Hyman-Eichel-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander

Matthews scores at a nearly constant rate across linemates. His 40g season was with two other rookies and his 34 in 62 was with significant time on a line with Marleau and Connor Brown. Or maybe that was last year, I get them mixed up.

That shouldn't be surprising, he creates most of his goals himself, everyone's seen his shot by now. It's not like he needs a giftwrapped tap in to put the puck in the net. He's an elite goal scorer.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Imagine thinking Eichel played with ROR...at all.

Reactions: lauraP

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Ok, read the thread and haven’t posted in weeks but I just can’t hold back anymore, I can’t resist after some of the madness posted in here. Thankfully I can now correct each and every wrong thing said.

I love the fact that these Matthews supporters (who seem to have an axe to grind) are only calling them close players NOW that Eichel is leading him in points. As if there points per game the last two seasons weren’t extremely comparable. And as if Eichels wasn’t higher in 16-17, during Matthews 40 goal season where yes he was a rookie and Eichel was in his second season. Saved you that standard reply.

I also love the fact they pretend like They are up against the same level of competition, they’re not. Eichel always, as in every single time he’s out there plays against the best of the best. Matthews isn’t always paired against the toughest defenders, some are saved for Tavares (benefits/luxury of a top offense) usually he is but not always. Pretending that THAT doesent effect total points, or the fact Matthews plays on a power play with players close to him or as good in skill like marner and Tavares (not even talking about Nylander and Reilly too btw) while Eichel has no one even close to him on his team is also gold. But yeah let’s just talk PDO and a minute and change more ice time when usually his teammates are coughing up the puck. I read dekes for days in another thread say that Eichels gotten lucky this season. As if all of his pretty much his last ten goals weren’t end to end beauties.

And I love “Eichel fans have handled his one season leading him poorly” right because Eichel fans are just posting non stop threads about him this year. Find me a couple?

Dude had a 17 game point streak and there wasn’t even a a thread made with that title during any point.

He then went on a 9 game point streak and now is in a 6 game point streak. NO THREADS of any kind at any point. Matthews would be getting McDavid comparisons for the fifth time in 2 years.

he has points in 31 of his last 35 games on a team that still doesent know what scoring is without him on the ice. “Eichel fans” have actually been more then fair because we don’t have to try and tear apart the other guy in order to make an argument. Hearing leaf fans talk about eichels defensive play is always a delight, he’s only one of the best players in transition and offensive zone possession. Both those things matter huge in defensive success and at Christmas only one player had a higher plus minus in the top ten in scoring. Yeah it’s plus minus but look where Eichel plays. That says it all. Game. Set. Match. Checkmate. Whatever.

BTW, top 5

Last edited:

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Voted Top10...but you can argue from 5 to 15...it´s really close after players like McD and MacK and depends on day to day Performance.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Oh, um, so you agree?
I think anyone objective would see they are comparable players with a slight edge to Matthews. So yes I agree, Matthews is not worlds ahead.

Really enjoying this new Oiler initiative of trying to convince everyone Dra is the 2nd best player in the world. How long til RNH is #3?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad