Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 8 -- The Siege of Eichelgrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I think your point on Calgary’s plan is the most important. I can’t imagine Calgary wants to move out an impact player and add one, which seems like a lateral move though Eichel is better than Tkachuk.

Tkachuk - Eichel - Coleman
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
X - Backlund - X

That’s as good and as balanced of a top 6 as you’ll get in the league, with as good of a 3C as any team in the league.
You forgot Mangiapane.

Calgary’s fans have been dying for a shake up of the core. An Eichel for Tkachuk deal does that.

Gaudreau - Eichel - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Monahan - Coleman

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think your point on Calgary’s plan is the most important. I can’t imagine Calgary wants to move out an impact player and add one, which seems like a lateral move though Eichel is better than Tkachuk.

Tkachuk - Eichel - Coleman
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
X - Backlund - X

That’s as good and as balanced of a top 6 as you’ll get in the league, with as good of a 3C as any team in the league.

They'd probably play Mangiapane (or Dube?) with Jack and MT and Coleman with Backlund, I would think. That's a hellacious top 9.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
You forgot Mangiapane.

Calgary’s fans have been dying for a shake up of the core. An Eichel for Tkachuk deal does that.

Gaudreau - Eichel - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Monahan - Coleman
That is a stupid idea. Tkachuk has 1yr left on his deal and then he's sitting there as an RFA with 1yr to go to UFA. So do you really want to rinse / repeat the Reinhart scenario again

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
That is a stupid idea. Tkachuk has 1yr left on his deal and then he's sitting there as an RFA with 1yr to go to UFA. So do you really want to rinse / repeat the Reinhart scenario again
No, this would obviously be predicated on an extension being negotiated before the trade. As I and others have said many times.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
No, this would obviously be predicated on an extension being negotiated before the trade. As I and others have said many times.
Realistically why would he sign an extension to facilitate a trade to Buffalo when everyone can see they're going to be terrible? Especially considering he knows a 1yr arbitration takes him to UFA and StL

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Realistically why would he sign an extension to facilitate a trade to Buffalo when everyone can see they're going to be terrible? Especially considering he knows a 1yr arbitration takes him to UFA and StL
Why would he? Doesn't matter. If he won't sign then move on. Honestly Calgary has other options also.

Monahan/Lindholm, top prospects, and picks.

I like getting a top 6 center to take pressure off Mittelstadt and Cozens.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why would he? Doesn't matter. If he won't sign then move on. Honestly Calgary has other options also.

Monahan/Lindholm, top prospects, and picks.

I like getting a top 6 center to take pressure off Mittelstadt and Cozens.

I don't believe that Adams wants to get 26yo top 6 center in the Eichel deal.

Given what we have heard, Adams is prioritizing futures in an Eichel deal and not NHLers that have 2 or 3 years to UFA.

If Adams is talking with Calgary, I doubt he is focusing on players like Tkachuk, Monahan, or Lindholm as centerpieces to the deal. And I don't know that he would take say Monahan back to make things work for Calgary and their cap situation.

That also doesn't even get into the odds that Monahan would waive his NTC to come to Buffalo.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So every doctor, besides the one making thousand on disc replacement, say to avoid disk replacement in contact sports. Who would have thought?!?!

Fusion should have been done months ago.

I don't believe the Sabres would have OK'd fusion surgery while they were trying to trade him. Fusion has a 6-9 month timeline for return to play. Eichel having fusion surgery would likely have ended all trade talks until closer to the trade deadline after teams could see how rehab was going.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I don't believe the Sabres would have OK'd fusion surgery while they were trying to trade him. Fusion has a 6-9 month timeline for return to play. Eichel having fusion surgery would likely have ended all trade talks until closer to the trade deadline after teams could see how rehab was going.

Didn't the agent say they both agreed a surgery is necessary? Sabres wouldn't have a say if the Sabres doctors are saying the surgery is necessary.

If the surgery is necessary, what does it matter if the Sabres do it, or the team trading for him does it? All that would have happened is, he would be ready to go sooner by the Sabres doing it in beginning of June.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Didn't the agent say they both agreed a surgery is necessary? Sabres wouldn't have a say if the Sabres doctors are saying the surgery is necessary.

The release from Eichel's agent expressed frustration that the Sabres are not talking about next steps as the conservative approach seems to have not resolved the issue. The agent has said that they have been trying since early June to talk to the Sabres doctors about next steps and they have not gotten an answer.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that Sabres management is driving that radio silence.

Even if there wasn't a lack of communication, you still have the disagreement over what surgery to have.

If the surgery is necessary, what does it matter if the Sabres do it, or the team trading for him does it? All that would have happened is, he would be ready to go sooner by the Sabres doing it in beginning of June.

Other teams might be open to Eichel having the ADR surgery and not miss a huge chunk of the season. There is one report that Minnesota would allow Eichel to have the procedure of his choosing.

Plus, waiting de-risks things for the Sabres as it is the team that has acquired Eichel that has all the risk about whether the surgery and recovery goes well.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Gaudreau is almost useless in that situation as it's heavily rumored that he's only interested in Philly. Tkachuk is the same way in that he wants to hit UFA to go to STL

It would be awesome to acquire Gaudreau, eat half his contract, and flip him to Philly for Konecny and Frost.

That makes any potential Eichel return better.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
Jack just posted a live Instagram of him at Billy Joel....

Too bad it wasn't during "Movin' Out"
There's going to be some good punch-lines from that. I don't know too many Billy Joel songs but how about "New York state of mind"

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Article on ESPN re: Eichel

Really, nothing new other than a few quotes from players, and this little tidbit

(We reached out to his agents, who did not respond. Adams is traveling this week and was unavailable, per the Sabres.)

I mean, I get it, GMs need vacations too. But the timing is probably the worst he could have had

Get your work done first, Kevyn

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Article on ESPN re: Eichel

Really, nothing new other than a few quotes from players, and this little tidbit

I mean, I get it, GMs need vacations too. But the timing is probably the worst he could have had

Get your work done first, Kevyn

In the past, Kevyn has spent off seasons at a place on Chautauqua Lake. So, it is a quick trip.

I wonder if there is something else going on, like maybe a trip to visit family, a wedding, or something like that.

:dunno:

Reactions: Zman5778

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Christ Johnston joined the Steve Dangle podcast to talk about things.

He thinks the next pressure point is the start of camp.

Given he is, at a minimum, 2 months away from being able to play, the pressure point is now.

Teams who are trading for him want him on the ice ASAP. Given the Sabres choices previously, the time to make a trade was two weeks ago. Adams taking a siesta in the middle of all this is maddening.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Given he is, at a minimum, 2 months away from being able to play, the pressure point is now.

Teams who are trading for him want him on the ice ASAP. Given the Sabres choices previously, the time to make a trade was two weeks ago. Adams taking a siesta in the middle of all this is maddening.

I'm positive that if someone calls him that's a GM (not the media) about Eichel, he'll answer.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The other thing could be that he is traveling to scout the various Jr camps and events that are currently taking place like the Hlinka Gretzky tournament.

2021 Hlinka Gretzky Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad