Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 8 -- The Siege of Eichelgrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruff22

May 5, 2007
Tucson, AZ
I agree that Pegula is much more frugal than before. Budget is a major consideration. Long term UFA signings may be a thing of the past (probably a good thing team wise too).

But, I believe that Pegula wants to win, and will spend to the cap when it is needed. Last year they signed Hall. Pegula was giving one last go to try to make the playoffs, before all the vets wanted out....forcing another rebuild.

I agree with that too. While I don't keep as close an eye on all of this like some here do, my impression is that Pegula is willing to spend (as long as he feels it will lead to some type of worthwhile run). But, now we're back to square 1 and he's trying to keep salaries low for the time being. Plus he's learning that future cap space has to be managed more wisely as well.

ruff22

May 5, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Is there any way Eichel could ever step foot in Buffalo again?

ezgif-570794118.gif

what movie is that from?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just can't imagine us retaining anything on an Eichel deal. It's a 5 year commitment and at the end of the deal, I think/hope we're a playoff contender that's looking to spend to the cap again.

If it hurts the return, I'm OK with it as I just don't think it's a good idea in the long term.

The question is how much does it depress the return.

If that’s what it takes to get Rossi, Boldy, and a first out of the Wild, it’s a yes from me.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
They should trade him in division so they can get two sellouts this year instead of one

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, evidently:

Friedman: Flames have begun extension talks with Gaudreau & Eichel speculation - Page 129 - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

This is a poster who has some inside info (allegedly)

I have heard it from a source close to management (if you don't want to believe me, all good) that the 3 teams still seriously in on Eichel are Anaheim, Vegas, and Calgary.

As well, there is a serious rift between Tkachuk and the team. He has not been training with any of the flames this summer, and has made it very clear he wants to go to the states (ideally St. Louis).

Last year after the Muzzin incident, closed door meeting for the players, but then Tkachuk met with management and was told "we will help you fight your battles, but we're not going to fight all of them every night".

From that point on, he was described as acting "pouty" for the rest of the season (which seems obvious now given how he was playing).

The Flames are looking to move him as part of the Eichel package, since there is almost 0% chance he re-signs here next summer, but Buffalo is not that interested in him. Likely because they know he isn't signing there either.
This seems to be the hold up on the Eichel deal. If a 3rd team got involved, Tkachuk would likely end up there with more futures going to Buffalo.

I mean, it's a dry spell for rumors, I'll take what i can get lol

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
During the podcast the doctor mentioned Eichel's family, I believe a couple times, so I wonder if one of his parents or someone close to him was researching neck issues and came across the ADR and thought it would be a better option. Then they found a doctor that was comfortable performing the operation. So it may now be what Eichel wants but the ADR situation may have begun with family pressure or at least a close family member that originally made the suggestion. Some doctors are walking a tightrope between being a doctor and being a salesman.

It's good to know Anaheim and Vegas may still be hanging around. Maybe Murray will have a few drinks one day/night on vacation, call Adams then before you know it the deal is complete.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
So, evidently:

Friedman: Flames have begun extension talks with Gaudreau & Eichel speculation - Page 129 - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

This is a poster who has some inside info (allegedly)

I mean, it's a dry spell for rumors, I'll take what i can get lol
I wonder if Anaheim is simply doing anyone but Zegras or are the Sabres asking for Zegras plus a lot?

I really want to know what Anaheim is offering.

I think Buffalo would love to ship Eichel out to Calgary for the next 5 years. I wonder what Buffalo could be asking for from Calgary if they don't want Tkachuk. They have decent prospects but you would likely have to get 2 1st round picks plus their top prospects.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I wonder if Anaheim is simply doing anyone but Zegras or are the Sabres asking for Zegras plus a lot?

I think Buffalo would love to ship Eichel out to Calgary for the next 5 years. I wonder what Buffalo could be asking for from Calgary if they don't want Tkachuk. They have decent prospects but you would likely have to get 2 1st round picks plus their top prospects.
Anaheim doesn't want to do Zegras.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

Or to make it a three way deal. What would that look like?

Calgary gets Eichel from Buffalo for Tkachuk, Zary, 23 1st

StL gets Tkachuk from Buffalo for...Neighbours, Hofer, 1st?

Would people be happy with jack for Zary, neighbours, Hofer, and two 1sts? I'm not super sold on Hofer but another goalie lotto ticket isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I can't wrap my head around why the Sabres wouldn't want Tkachuk. Baffles me. I just can't stand rebuilding and losing on purpose. Get the best player you can.
They want young players who are happy to just have an NHL job, even during a rebuild year this season.

Tkachuk would make $9M this year being miserable on an alwful team. Then he would accept his one year qualifying offer with a $9M cap hit the season after which walks him to UFA. And he would leave.

Eichel is unhappy and sounds like Tkachuk is unhappy. A trade may make sense if Sabres aren't being offered any A prospects anywhere. It just delays our headache of having to trade a superstar player and get enough good assets in return.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Or to make it a three way deal. What would that look like?

Calgary gets Eichel from Buffalo for Tkachuk, Zary, 23 1st

StL gets Tkachuk from Buffalo for...Neighbours, Hofer, 1st?

Would people be happy with jack for Zary, neighbours, Hofer, and two 1sts? I'm not super sold on Hofer but another goalie lotto ticket isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don’t think there is any chance Calgary gives up a premium prospect and a 1st on top of Tkachuk.

They likely want it to be straight up or Buffalo adds because of the salary and injury.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don’t think there is any chance Calgary gives up a premium prospect and a 1st on top of Tkachuk.

They likely want it to be straight up or Buffalo adds because of the salary and injury.
And that's why Buffalo ("reportedly") is not interested in TKachuk. And also, like you said, don't want a high priced winger.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Why wouldn't Buffalo just take Tkachuk for 1/2 a season and flip him elsewhere.

The cap doesn't work right now but:

To Calgary: Eichel
To St Louis: Tkachuk
To Buffalo: Zary, Thomas, St Louis 2022 1st, Calgary 2022 1st

St Louis would have to find a place for Tarasenko with either no salary coming back or minimal retention. Buffalo gets their young NHLer (Thomas), Prospect (Zary), and two 1sts

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Or
Why wouldn't Buffalo just take Tkachuk for 1/2 a season and flip him elsewhere.

The cap doesn't work right now but:

To Calgary: Eichel
To St Louis: Tkachuk
To Buffalo: Zary, Thomas, St Louis 2022 1st, Calgary 2022 1st

St Louis would have to find a place for Tarasenko with either no salary coming back or minimal retention. Buffalo gets their young NHLer (Thomas), Prospect (Zary), and two 1sts
Or replace the Blues with the Sens.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Adams should take Tkachuk, Zary, and 2022 1st, and run (if that deal is actually on the table).

Isn’t Tkachuk exactly what the Sabres are lacking? Plus, he’s an RFA after the season, so the Sabres control his rights. He either re-signs, or the Sabres move him for a haul.

Reactions: Team Cozens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad