Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 8 -- The Siege of Eichelgrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Sounds like eichel and his agents were leaking info about when they thought a trade would need to occur or when adams would fold. Adams hasn't folded and continues to frustrate not only other gms but now eichel as well. I love it

Poor move by eichels team in my opinion. About to find out buffaloians are stubborn and can hold a grudge

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't understand the logic of Eichel's agents here. It's obvious that KA has dug in and is ready for the long haul. They've just now made Jack HARDER to trade.......KA is going to dig in even harder and now other GMs could really see this as problematic. Since locker cleanouts, Jack's camp has done all sorts of debating through the media while the Sabres have remained relatively quiet.

I just don't get what the purpose is here.

I think the agent is trying to complicate the issue so the Sabres can't suspend Eichel without pay for refusing the Sabres choice of medical treatment by claiming they agreed to Eichel's choice of medical treatment. The agent doesn't get his check if Eichel doesn't get paid.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I sympathize with Jack, but I'm not sure what they're hoping to accomplish with this. Why go public at this point? They said themselves he could still be ready for the season even now if he got the surgery he wants, so putting this out there just makes a trade less likely because it means Adams either has to accept a bad offer or resolve the health situation first. Based on Adams statements, he's not willing to let him go for a discount, so....

Here's a question: I know the Sabres can forbid him from getting the disc replacement surgery, but can they force him to get the fusion surgery he doesn't want? That would be way worse IMO. Assuming that's not going to happen, you kind of have to let him get his preferred surgery now in order to get him back on the ice and improve your trade prospects, but it probably also kills a trade until he's healthy.

Really makes you wonder if other teams already knew that Jack needed surgery or not. If they didn't, this statement pretty much kills any deal that was in the works. If they did already know, it's not like this statement makes a trade more appetizing.

It almost seems like Jack would rather have the surgery and play for the Sabres to start the season than play for another team but risk possibly miss the beginning of the year. Either that or Jack and his team just aren't that smart strategically and are acting on pure emotion.

It's such a cluster**** of a situation and I actually don't blame the Sabres for how they've handled it. They took a calculated risk that they could get a good offer before they had to act on the surgery dispute and it appears that the bet hasn't paid off, but the surgery was/is also a risk in their opinion, so I think they handled it in an understandable way.

You'd have to think the way out from here is to tell other teams they have until some deadline to up their offers or he is having the surgery and off the table until he is healthy. That may not get anyone to bite, but what other choice do you have at this point if you're not willing to give him away?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Sounds like the Sabres put the "surgical procedure" on hold, maybe to let his new team decide and take care of it.

The delay would have worked if they traded him before free agency. But now the trade is delayed/didn't happen so that is putting Eichel's procedure on hold. I can see the frustration.

Reactions: Speedtrials

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
One: None of us, including Wawrow, have any idea about any of that.

Two: There are two types of surgery. The approved traditional kind, and the one that no NHL player has ever been given.
I think he’s implying by the Sabres are saying surgery is no longer needed so it doesn’t happen on their watch even though everyone knows he needs one. Traditional or not

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I’m so mad about this whole situation

1. It’s making me stick up for the Pegulas which is clearly a minority opinion when interacting with fans of other teams and ours 99% of the time

2. I WANT to be excited for the U-23s currently on the roster for this season but this black cloud keeps hanging over our f***ing heads

3. I have to change my Avi ASAP

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

I read this as the Sabres were trying to stall, hoping they could find a trade before they'd have to accept the surgery risk themselves. Can't say I blame them if that's the case. They knew they could still decide to allow the surgery at any point, and it sounds like they know they could still do that and have him to start the season. Now Jack and his team have just exploded that possibility before they really had to.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I read this as the Sabres were trying to stall, hoping they could find a trade before they'd have to accept the surgery risk themselves. Can't say I blame them if that's the case. They knew they could still decide to allow the surgery at any point, and it sounds like they know they could still do that and have him to start the season. Now Jack and his team have just exploded that possibility before they really had to.

Maybe, who knows :dunno:

Their statement is so poorly worded: "our camp was initially under the impression..." I mean seriously, what a bunch of vague nonsense. Everytime I read this message these guys sound more and more like idiots.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm not sure how posting this meesage helps Eichel get traded.

I do, however, think it gets Fish & Donatelli one step closer to getting fired. It wreaks of desperation...

Yeah, I really can't imagine what good they could possibly have thought that statement would do for their client. But if Eichel wants to throw a tantrum, fine, let him. I'll only be that much more thrilled with Adams when he continues to not cave and trade Eichel for garbage.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Maybe, who knows :dunno:

Their statement is so poorly worded: "our camp was initially under the impression..." I mean seriously, what a bunch of vague nonsense. Everytime I read this message these guys sound more and more like idiots.
Ha. I was just going to say the same thing. Possibly the most offensive thing about the statement to me is how poorly it's written.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Ha. I was just going to say the same thing. Possibly the most offensive thing about the statement to me is how poorly it's written.

I think it's absolutely intentionally worded that way so people like Wawrow (and probably Vogl) read it the way they want and try to paint the front office as the ones screwing up/going back on their word.

My bet is that something like this happened:

Sabres: "Rest first, then we'll discuss surgery."
Jack: "I want surgery first"
Sabres: "Tough shit, rest first."
Jack: *pouts, waits*

Jack: "OK, rest didn't work. I want surgery"
Sabres: "OK, let's see what the doctors say"
Doctors: "We can approve surgery X."
Jack: "I want surgery Y"
Doctors: "Nope, never been done on an NHLer before"
Jack: "BUT YOU SAID I COULD HAVE SURGERY"

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I think it's absolutely intentionally worded that way so people like Wawrow (and probably Vogl) read it the way they want and try to paint the front office as the ones screwing up/going back on their word.

My bet is that something like this happened:

Sabres: "Rest first, then we'll discuss surgery."
Jack: "I want surgery first"
Sabres: "Tough shit, rest first."
Jack: *pouts, waits*

Jack: "OK, rest didn't work. I want surgery"
Sabres: "OK, let's see what the doctors say"
Doctors: "We can approve surgery X."
Jack: "I want surgery Y"
Doctors: "Nope, never been done on an NHLer before"
Jack: "BUT YOU SAID I COULD HAVE SURGERY"

This seems right to me

Reactions: joshjull

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Re-reading it, Eichel really wants that surgery. It might be best for his trade value too.

Not just that. He kinda seems DESPERATE to have the surgery, like overly so. It makes me think that either he's in quite the significant amount of pain (if that's the case, why would there be a hubub that he's skating and "feeling fine") or he's using this instead of actually requesting a trade.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Jack Crybaby Eichel and his schmuck agent can both f*** off and sit tight. You don’t say this kind of shit when you’re still technically the captain of the team that has you signed for $50 million. What piece of masshole trash. Can’t wait to trade this idiot as far away from Boston as possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad