Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 8 -- The Siege of Eichelgrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Terry hasn't assessed the differences between this and ROR (player can't suit up until a surgery is agreed upon, value will go down continually for that reason), and for that he's probably going to hang on to the player until it's a virtual emergency.

I say he moves for next to nothing in December after Jack tries to take the Sabres to court. It's going to be something ludicrously bad like that.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don’t see Tkachuk or Lindhoms as targets with the focus Adams and company have right now.
I agree, but maybe they need to change focus a little bit if we can get players like Tkachuk and Lindholm and only getting B and C prospects in other deals.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Terry hasn't assessed the differences between this and ROR (player can't suit up until a surgery is agreed upon, value will go down continually for that reason), and for that he's probably going to hang on to the player until it's a virtual emergency.

I say he moves for next to nothing in December after Jack tries to take the Sabres to court. It's going to be something ludicrously bad like that.
What exactly would they sue the Sabres for? Jack has a contract.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Jack going to challenge the CBA, violating his basic human right to make his own decision on which NHL team to play for.

Reactions: Bferra13

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Jack going to challenge the CBA, violating his basic human right to make his own decision on which NHL team to play for.
I'm sure a clever lawyer could find an argument that the result of giving medical decisions to the team is inhumane, and some clause in the cba could be interpreted to void the contract where the player is being medically abused or something in effect.

It's not about whether he could bring a case. It never is. You just have to pay a hungry enough lawyer to make up the argument.

The question is whether the Sabres have a plan to deal with the situation before Jack decides it's time to play hardball. He's clearly not concerned with burning his bridges here.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I’d love to get Tkachuk provided we could extent him before acquiring. But I don’t see Tkachuk or Lindholm as targets with the focus Adams and company have right now.

I see your point, but I think Tkachuk would absolutely be on the radar. He's 23......and if we could lock him up to a reasonable(ish) 7 year deal, he'll grow right with the new core while still providing a high-level player right now.

I'd almost consider a 1-for-1 swap of the two. Maybe Calgary adds a conditional pick.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You can't build a team of all 20 year olds. We need a couple older top 6 players.
There will be exactly one 20 year old (Cozens) playing any meaningful minutes.

I wish some of you would look up the actual ages of our “youngsters”. Way too many posts complaining about how we’re throwing kids, 20yr olds or even teens to the wolves.

The “youth” Adams and company want on the NHL roster to see what they can do.

Olofsson —> 26yrs old
Bjork —-> 25 in two days.
Tage ——-> 24 in Oct
R2 ———-> 24 in Oct
Asplund —> 23yrs old
Mitts —-> 23 in Nov
Joker —-> 22yrs old
Dahlin —> 21yrs old

The youngest two of that group have a ton of NHL experience with 197gms (Dahlin) and 153 games (Joker) under their belt.

All of the above have either a good amount of development time in lower leagues or a decent chunk of games in the NHL. Some have a bit of both.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I see your point, but I think Tkachuk would absolutely be on the radar. He's 23......and if we could lock him up to a reasonable(ish) 7 year deal, he'll grow right with the new core while still providing a high-level player right now.

I'd almost consider a 1-for-1 swap of the two. Maybe Calgary adds a conditional pick.

I’m all for acquiring Tkachuk if we could extend him long term before closing a trade.

I just think he’s on the outside edge of the age they’re looking for . He’s also due for a huge long term deal, something they may not be looking to do. You’d basically eat up almost all of Jack’s departing cap hit with a Tkachuk extension. I’d be cool with it but I don’t think the Sabres would be.

From the Calgary pov I would imagine the idea of adding Jack for them is about someone to pair with Tkachuk. They would anchor their top line which slots Gudreau/Monahan behind them. Gives them a shot at the playoffs and maybe more.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Gaudreau in a Calgary deal would be a interesting idea for the Sabres from an asset management pov. He’s got one year left on his deal before he’s a free agent. He could be flipped for a hell of a return with 50% retained.

EDIT: But I see he has Modified NTC so forget this happening.

Last edited:

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So what's a package from Calgary then?

2 of Zary/Coronato/Pelletier
Andersson or Valimaki
2022 1st round pick
Cap dump of some sort

That about right?
If I'm lookin at the acceptable Vegas model comp

Krebs = Zary
Tuch > Dube
Hague < Andersson
VGK 1st < CGY 1st

wouldn't hate it if it came to that

Tkachuk/Lindholm arent coming here

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Gaudreau in a Calgary deal would be a nice idea for the Sabres from an asset management pov. He’s got one year left on his deal and then he’s a free agent. He could be flipped for a hell of a return with 50% retained.
Gaudreau is almost useless in that situation as it's heavily rumored that he's only interested in Philly. Tkachuk is the same way in that he wants to hit UFA to go to STL

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Gaudreau is almost useless in that situation as it's heavily rumored that he's only interested in Philly. Tkachuk is the same way in that he wants to hit UFA to go to STL
I edited my post because of his modified NTC. If he didn’t have it he would be an interesting add as an asset to flip for even more stuff. But he’s not waiving to come here.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If I'm lookin at the acceptable Vegas model comp

Krebs = Zary
Tuch > Dube
Hague < Andersson
VGK 1st < CGY 1st

wouldn't hate it if it came to that

Tkachuk/Lindholm arent coming here
Friedman reported that Vegas ask from us wasn’t accurate. Can’t remember if he elaborated on it. at this point I’m taking every report of a possible return with a gigantic grain of salt.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes but his only going to sign with Philly rumors would cut into the quality of assets a team would be willing to give up.
I’m talking about a deadline deal for more picks in the next two drafts. I don’t see how where he would sign after the season would matter with that.

But all of this is moot due to his M-NTC

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

Tkachuk extended + Zary. Do it Kyvyn.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
and I know it probably isnt happening with Dundon, but wouldnt the Canes be a sneaky good spot for Eichel? Theyre in win mode, how do they get by these EC teams? Eichel>Aho>Staal looks pretty good down the middle with wing depth. Necas & Jarvis with a Trochek (vet shelter) and a 1st...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I’m all for acquiring Tkachuk if we could extend him long term before closing a trade.

I just think he’s on the outside edge of the age they’re looking for . He’s also due for a huge long term deal, something they may not be looking to do. You’d basically eat up almost all of Jack’s departing cap hit with a Tkachuk extension. I’d be cool with it but I don’t think the Sabres would be.

From the Calgary pov I would imagine the idea of adding Jack for them is about someone to pair with Tkachuk. They would anchor their top line which slots Gudreau/Monahan behind them. Gives them a shot at the playoffs and maybe more.

I think your point on Calgary’s plan is the most important. I can’t imagine Calgary wants to move out an impact player and add one, which seems like a lateral move though Eichel is better than Tkachuk.

Tkachuk - Eichel - Coleman
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
X - Backlund - X

That’s as good and as balanced of a top 6 as you’ll get in the league, with as good of a 3C as any team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad