Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Not a Sabres fan, but I think Eichel to the Rags makes more sense.

Something along the lines of:
Fox/Miller
Laf/Kakko
Georgiev
1st

In my mind, if Buffalo trades their franchise player it needs to give them a quick retool and fit their needs. Gives them a future top pairing D, future top line forward and a starting goalie.

Dahlin to LA makes more sense to me. Give him a much needed change of scenery and a chance to play with Doughty.
Lafreniere is the next Yakupov.. no thanks

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not a Sabres fan, but I think Eichel to the Rags makes more sense.

Something along the lines of:
Fox/Miller
Laf/Kakko
Georgiev
1st

In my mind, if Buffalo trades their franchise player it needs to give them a quick retool and fit their needs. Gives them a future top pairing D, future top line forward and a starting goalie.

Dahlin to LA makes more sense to me. Give him a much needed change of scenery and a chance to play with Doughty.

1. We're not trading Dahlin
2. If we come to the point where Jack asks out and is legit ready to sit if he doesn't get it, I'd much rather raid LA's cupboards. They have centers in there.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It's not about style, its about bust factor.. Daigle didn't play like Yakupov either. All 3 players were unbelievably hyped.
I understand what you mean, but he does not look like a bust, he seems to be playing correctly and even began to score points in recent games, he has all the tools.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I understand what you mean, but he does not look like a bust, he seems to be playing correctly and even began to score points in recent games, he has all the tools.
Yakupov had 31 points in 48 games his first season in Edmonton. Alexandre Daigle had 37 points in 47 games his first season in Ottawa.

Both players are arguably the biggest busts of their generation especially how hyped they were in their draft year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yakupov had 31 points in 48 games his first season in Edmonton. Alexandre Daigle had 37 points in 47 games his first season in Ottawa.

Both players are arguably the biggest busts of their generation especially how hyped they were in their draft year.
This does not mean at all that he will be the same as Yakupov or Daigle, I do not see that. Hughes didn't score so many points last season, but this one looks like a stud and there are dozens or not hundreds of such examples.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It's not about style, its about bust factor.. Daigle didn't play like Yakupov either. All 3 players were unbelievably hyped.

Daigle wasn’t a bust though. He didn’t live up to expectations but he was far from a bust.

He was traded for Falloon (who was a bust) and Prospal (who had a solid career). He was a multi-time 20G and 50P scorer. Not great totals, but not a bust.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Just out of curiosity, what are the series of events that lead to this point over the last year as you guys have seen it? I mean more along the lines of rumors that you’ve heard. Obviously McKenzie dropped his series of tweets around the draft that there were rumors that Eichel wanted out, but his agent denied it. But there are other reports, one from TSNs Darren Dregger that there is a belief that he wanted and was convinced to stay. How much of this is true as far as you guys know.

I wish you guys the best and hope that whatever does happen with Eichel it ends up working out. Go Bills #BillsMafia

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Just out of curiosity, what are the series of events that lead to this point over the last year as you guys have seen it? I mean more along the lines of rumors that you’ve heard. Obviously McKenzie dropped his series of tweets around the draft that there were rumors that Eichel wanted out, but his agent denied it. But there are other reports, one from TSNs Darren Dregger that there is a belief that he wanted and was convinced to stay. How much of this is true as far as you guys know.

I wish you guys the best and hope that whatever does happen with Eichel it ends up working out. Go Bills #BillsMafia
I think more than anything, the tide has turned with some of the fans. This thing is the longest running continuing tire fire in NHL history. Many are ready for another complete rebuild including an Eichel trade. I think the fans being more willing for Eichel to be moved is helping to fuel the chatter.

I myself think the Sabres absolutely need to explore an Eichel trade as a smart hockey move. Actually, I think the best course of action is to get a massive haul for him and start over.

1. Even if the Sabres became cup contenders before the end of Eichel's current deal, he might still move on to another contender that is in a bigger market or more desirable location.

2. The Sabres aren't close to be playoff contenders, let alone cup contenders. Realisticially, the sabres probably aren't playoff contenders until 22-23 at the best. That is assuming they figure something out that they haven't been able to figure out in ten years. Going into that season Eichel will only have 4 years left on his deal. This off-season, a 24 year old Eichel with 5 years left on his deal will still have peak value. His value decreases a little every year after that.

3. IMO, Eichel is asking for a trade after this season. I don't even think there is much of question that this will happen.

4. The Skinner contract. Even if Skinner were on a 30 goal pace for the Sabres right now, they would still be a bad team. Having that contract for an essentially nothing player, for that length of time, pretty much makes it impossible to build a contending team within the time frame of Eichel's contract.

There are a lot of people on this board who will hammer me for thinking we should trade Eichel but when you step back and look at it, the people who think that we are building a team within the next 5 years that will either contend for anything or be good enough to convince Eichel to stay for a 3rd contract are the ones who are believing in a fantasy. And like I said, Eichel is going to be asking to get out way before that time comes. If the Sabres are proactive, it will allow them to recieve peak value for Eichel. During this is season or this off-season is the time to trade him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Bruins trade for Jack Eichel? What we're hearing about the Sabres' star coming to Boston

The first trick, though, would be the price to pay. It would be high. If the Sabres put their captain and best player on the market, they would require bankable assets. The most equitable conversation would begin with Pastrnak or Charlie McAvoy, both of whom the Bruins adore. Pastrnak, 24, is an offensive firestarter whom the Bruins stole in 2014.

McAvoy, 23, is the Bruins’ MVP this year and blue-line alpha dog.

It wouldn’t end there.

“I think you’re looking at McAvoy and Frederic, probably minimum,” said the source. “Minimum.”

An alternative template of young player, prospect and first-round selection would probably not fly. Traditionally, young stars move for similar pieces: Patrik Laine for Pierre-Luc Dubois, Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen, Jonathan Drouin for Mikhail Sergachev. If Buffalo moves Eichel primarily for futures, the franchise would signal yet another rebuild to its fans and sponsors.

Multiple bidders could drive the return higher. Minnesota, which already made one deal with Buffalo (Eric Staal for Marcus Johansson), would pursue another. The Wild, screaming for a No. 1 center, could offer Kirill Kaprizov. The Rangers would also be interested in reuniting Eichel with David Quinn, his former BU coach. New York is loaded with potential, from Alexis Lafreniere to Kaapo Kakko to K’Andre Miller.

Other possibilities include Vancouver, either with Elias Pettersson or Bo Horvat, or Los Angeles, which has future NHLers in Quinton Byfield and Alex Turcotte.

I can't see the Bruins winning a bidding war for Eichel.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I really don’t see Jack asking for a trade after this season still. He wants to be here , this is just obviously really tough and makes no sense they are this bad (oh wait coaching )

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I really don’t see Jack asking for a trade after this season still. He wants to be here , this is just obviously really tough and makes no sense they are this bad (oh wait coaching )
Why does he want to be here? This organization looks like rubbish, the owners make the stupidest mistakes every year. Worst of all, if Eichel asks for a trade when his NMC takes effect, then we certainly won't get the best return on his trade. Therefore, either let them fix it right now and hire the right people, which is hard to believe, or it is better to trade Eichel earlier, before his NMC takes effect.

Reactions: EmeraldCitySabre

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Eichel contradicts Krueger, says he didn't get hurt Thursday

:popcorn:

:help:

So, the communication master appears to have issues communicating with his two highest paid forwards...
This is apparently a continuation of the story that they did not know that Hutton was playing half-blind, idiots.

Boston has no assets other than Pastrnak, and they are unlikely to want to include him in the deal, even for Eichel. If Guerin really suggested Kaprizov+, this could be seriously considered, Kirill stud.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Why does he want to be here? This organization looks like rubbish, the owners make the stupidest mistakes every year. Worst of all, if Eichel asks for a trade when his NMC takes effect, then we certainly won't get the best return on his trade. Therefore, either let them fix it right now and hire the right people, which is hard to believe, or it is better to trade Eichel earlier, before his NMC takes effect.

If they trade Eichel before the NMC, they're still dealing from a position of weakness.
  • Trade partners are automatically limited ; Not many teams are going to be able to take a $10M cap hit, especially with the financial structure of it, in a COVID recovery world. ( Even with the changes to escrow and help that the players gave the owners. )
  • Teams know that if the Sabres are looking to move him, it's because Eichel asked for it.
In Eichel's case, the NMC just gives him the veto power control officially. He has most of that power already.

Either way, doesn't matter. Any circumstance that results in Eichel leaving town is the death knell of this franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad