Jack Eichel or Austin Matthews 17/18

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Maybe I am crazy, but didn't you literally put in your own post examples of Eichel having more assists?

Also:

As you noted above, Eichel had more assists in his rookie year.....so are you just completely making up **** or?

oh sorry, I should have added "significantly". my bad for assuming people would think rationally.

but all power to you if you think +0.03apg and +0.04apg advantages in 2 of the 12 samples indicates that someone is a "better playmaker".

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
oh sorry, I should have added "significantly". my bad for assuming people would think rationally.

but all power to you if you think +0.03apg and +0.04apg advantages in 2 of the 12 samples indicates that someone is a "better playmaker".

Yep but Matthews blowing Eichel out of the water in goals per game doesn't mean that he's a better goal scorer, just a better rookie. Lol.

So much twisting going on around here.

NHL Network got it right. Matthews is the fourth best C in the league and he's only played one year so far. I see him toppling Crosby and Malkin as he enters his prime in a couple years being only behind McDavid.

Assists per game? Matthews played with Hyman and was only slightly behind that Eichel. Wait till this year when he's passing the puck to Marleau and Nylander full time. I expect a 40-40-80 type season provided he's healthy.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Matthew is the better goalscorer and will clearly be one as long as Eichel refuses to go to prime scoring areas.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Matthew is the better goalscorer and will clearly be one as long as Eichel refuses to go to prime scoring areas.

Eichel has always been and always will be a perimeter player.

All in all, Matthews is closer to McDavid as an impactful player than Eichel is to Matthews. I don't need others to agree or disagree. I've watched both plenty and I know what I've seen with my own two eyes. Eichel is lazy. Matthews had the same drive train to be great that McDavid possesses. People will give him his dues soon enough.

Eichel is a top tier talent. But he leaves so much on the table. Its frustrating to see, not to mention his diva acts. Last season, he threw his entire coaching staff under the bus. Matthews wasn't done any favors by Babcock, all he did was put up results. One player earned the coaches trust and respect. The other player has yet to have a single coach respect him. I know NTDP coaches and believe me, they cannot say enough good things about Auston. Only compliments they have on Eichel is his raw talent and skills. Nothing about his actual play.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yep but Matthews blowing Eichel out of the water in goals per game doesn't mean that he's a better goal scorer, just a better rookie. Lol.

So much twisting going on around here.

NHL Network got it right. Matthews is the fourth best C in the league and he's only played one year so far. I see him toppling Crosby and Malkin as he enters his prime in a couple years being only behind McDavid.

Assists per game? Matthews played with Hyman and was only slightly behind that Eichel. Wait till this year when he's passing the puck to Marleau and Nylander full time. I expect a 40-40-80 type season provided he's healthy.

I see this too. Eichel I think is the better playmaker though, but not by a lot. Offensively they are pretty close but Matthews is better without the puck by quite a bit, in every zone.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

All in all, Matthews is closer to McDavid as an impactful player than Eichel is to Matthews. I don't need others to agree or disagree. I've watched both plenty and I know what I've seen with my own two eyes. Eichel is lazy. Matthews had the same drive train to be great that McDavid possesses. People will give him his dues soon enough.

Eichel is a top tier talent. But he leaves so much on the table. Its frustrating to see, not to mention his diva acts. Last season, he threw his entire coaching staff under the bus. Matthews wasn't done any favors by Babcock, all he did was put up results. One player earned the coaches trust and respect. The other player has yet to have a single coach respect him. I know NTDP coaches and believe me, they cannot say enough good things about Auston. Only compliments they have on Eichel is his raw talent and skills. Nothing about his actual play.

Yeah I think their drive is what separates them. Matthews always seems to focused and determined, while Eichel seems to think he can get by too much without maximum effort. This is the NHL, he will learn soon enough or never reach his full potential.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
By every account Eichel has been an incredibly hard worker his whole career. What we perceive as natural talent is a result of that work.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You know what the reply was. I believe Eichel is the superior playmaker and will continue to be so into their entire careers. 33 assists in 61 is better than 29 in 82. If you want to revisit this next year since you objected to the sample size. We can next year.

Why are we comparing Eichel's sophomore assist pace to Matthews' rookie assist total.

If we go apples to apples (rookie vs rookie), they are nearly the same. I think 2 extra for Eichel.

I'm not saying one way or another who's the better playmaker. I think we could honestly be splitting hairs.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
By every account Eichel has been an incredibly hard worker his whole career. What we perceive as natural talent is a result of that work.

No one is questioning his work ethic off the ice. On the ice, he's a lazy player. If you can't see that, I can't help you. Tyler Bozak/ JVR/ Kessel are all the same. Perimeter guys for the most part unwilling to go to the dirty areas and sacrifice their bodies to get the W. Even on the sabres, the heart and soul of the franchise isn't Eichel. Its ROR.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I like Eichel a lot. Maybe more than most. And i have been disappointed in his production.

I believe that some of the issues for his production has to deal with the talent around him. In Toronto Austin is surrounded by talent that compliment him. Whereas Eichel has not really clicked with anyone

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Why are we comparing Eichel's sophomore assist pace to Matthews' rookie assist total.

If we go apples to apples (rookie vs rookie), they are nearly the same. I think 2 extra for Eichel.

I'm not saying one way or another who's the better playmaker. I think we could honestly be splitting hairs.

Look at the title.

No one is questioning his work ethic off the ice. On the ice, he's a lazy player. If you can't see that, I can't help you. Tyler Bozak/ JVR/ Kessel are all the same. Perimeter guys for the most part unwilling to go to the dirty areas and sacrifice their bodies to get the W. Even on the sabres, the heart and soul of the franchise isn't Eichel. Its ROR.

He's had to go coast to coast every time he wanted something to happen at ES. Yes he has slacked at defense. But it's easy to see why.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like Eichel a lot. Maybe more than most. And i have been disappointed in his production.

I believe that some of the issues for his production has to deal with the talent around him. In Toronto Austin is surrounded by talent that compliment him. Whereas Eichel has not really clicked with anyone

I believe coaching and player were like oil and water. It is no slight to either, but there are some coach and player mixes that are just not good matches. Also a lack of health would be a good reason for most. And he still had 57 points in 61 games last season in spite of this. If he is healthy this season, I believe the question marks on him will be soon moot points.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
He's had to go coast to coast every time he wanted something to happen at ES. Yes he has slacked at defense. But it's easy to see why.

Matthews knows how to utilize Hyman. All of Eichels teammates have been better than Hyman. Does that mean that maybe he's not as easy to adapt when it comes to his linemates? Or is it a lack of trust? I watched him live in about three games and a bunch of others on TV and I can recall so many times, Eichel would be cheating in the Dzone just so he can pounce on an attack the other way. Its not like he was lineup with a bunch of scrub 3rd/4th liners. They went out and signed Okposo just for him and kane had a monster year. I don't know what justifies his selfish play and lazyness on the defensive end.

I know many people here rely on stats to formulate their opinions. But for those of us that have watched these two for a long while, it's really not hard to figure out which one of the players is a more complete 200 foot player with elite offensive abilities. And which player is all flash and dash with nothing else to offer.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Look at the title.

And? the argument being had right now is about who's a better playmaker. Comparing assists from Eichel's sophomore season against Matthews' rookie doesn't necessarily prove anything. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

If you wanted to say who was the more productive playmaker last season, it would.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Matthews knows how to utilize Hyman. All of Eichels teammates have been better than Hyman. Does that mean that maybe he's not as easy to adapt when it comes to his linemates? Or is it a lack of trust? I watched him live in about three games and a bunch of others on TV and I can recall so many times, Eichel would be cheating in the Dzone just so he can pounce on an attack the other way. Its not like he was lineup with a bunch of scrub 3rd/4th liners. They went out and signed Okposo just for him and kane had a monster year. I don't know what justifies his selfish play and lazyness on the defensive end.

I know many people here rely on stats to formulate their opinions. But for those of us that have watched these two for a long while, it's really not hard to figure out which one of the players is a more complete 200 foot player with elite offensive abilities. And which player is all flash and dash with nothing else to offer.

Okposo played with ROR. Kane is a detriment. Reinhart shot 5% at 5on5.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I agree with the hockey analysis completely. The most frustrating sabre in at least twenty years.

As to the diva thing, or Babcock not doing Matthews favors... I think you should refresh yourself on Dan bylsma....

If Eichel was the driving force for bylsma getting fired, he should be complimented for stopping the team from wasting another season.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If Eichel was the reason Bylsma got fired, that's the best thing he's done. And he's done A LOT of good things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad