News: Jack Eichel not happy in Buffalo [JACK EICHEL MEGATHREAD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
First I'd argue that many didn't think Karlsson was washed out when he was being shopped, either. If San Jose did, they certainly wouldn't have given up what they did in the trade and then signed him to the deal that they gave him.

Second, whether Eichel returns exactly to form or not, this doesn't make San Jose a contender. They get Eichel for 5 years at $10M. For four of those five years, they've got $26.5M tied up in three immovable contracts (Burns is still pretty good, but nobody's touching that deal due to his age) and another $5.75M in Jones, who's been abysmal, for three years.

Realistically, they don't have the cap structure to make it work. They'd be a fringe playoff team at best that doesn't get close to a Cup during Eichel's contract, which means that they'd face the very real possibility of selling off massive assets for Eichel, not come close to a Cup during the time he's there, and then watch him leave in UFA because of it.

Honestly the best option for San Jose is selling what they can and riding out those contracts while they stock the shelves. They weren't exactly in good shape before the Karlsson trade, but the trading for and signing of Karlsson has pretty badly screwed them.
Senators fans could see the writing on the wall with Karlsson. He wasn't fully toasted yet, but it was obvious he was slipping.
As for SJ I have no idea if Eichel makes them a contender or not, but a center spine of Eichel Hertl and Couture sure looks pretty formidable to me. I'd trade 1st's, decent prospects and good not great hockey players like Meier all day for a talent like Eichel. It's much easier to fill in around the margins than it is to get a franchise centerman. People have a tendency to overrate picks and propsects in these parts. If Eichel weren't on the Sabres I'd move anything short of Dahlin to get him here.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Eichel coming off injury and contemplating surgery? Yeh, I’m sure Buffalo will get full value for him. Buffalo will lose this trade.

Typical of the entitled and arrogant Jack Eichel to force his way out though. Dude was supposed to BE the franchise and now he’s acting like he doesn’t have a role in this trash fire. Buffalo paid him like a superstar, drafted talent to surround him, and paid out the nose to get him wingers. You could argue they built a shit team for Jack but you can’t argue they didn’t try to get something going here for him. And still, he wants out.

Not absolving management at all in this... actually I would say management f***ed up with Eichel even before they drafted him. Remember how disappointed and pissed the Sabres GM looked when the lottery balls dropped and they found out that they weren’t getting McDavid and are only getting consolation prize Eichel. Not a good look from the get go.

Feel bad for Buffalo fans, it’s been a rough couple years and looks like it’s gonna get worse. But, really all it takes is one good year to turn it all around... who knows what mix of players you could bring in with all the high value assets that seemingly want out. You never know, it could be the exact right mix and it could all turn around in an instance.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I like how 4 of the top 5 threads in this section are Eichel.. and the other is Reinhart.

I feel bad for Buffalo. Vultures are circling. Vegas has the pieces, but not the cap.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Only deal that gets Buffalo listening is

Karlsson + Krebs + 2021 & 2022 1st

even then I don't see it

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Vegas is super aggressive and it is out of conference. It's a sneaky potential trade partner for Buffalo.

Tuch would be a good get as an established player component in an Eichel trade. 5 years left on his contract is a lot and it's the good kind of term. You can envision him lining up next to Cozens on the next good Sabres' squad.

The question is if a Glass or Krebs is an adequate lead futures component in a deal. Not sexy, but if the league squeezes a bit, it could be competitive enough.

Reactions: Team Cozens

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Vegas is already up against the cap though, they are already playing with 15 skaters tonight due to cap restrictions. So they would have to clear a significant amount of salary to fit Eichel's contract.

Not saying they can't do it. But it would take the right salary going out to bring in Eichel.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Vegas is already up against the cap though, they are already playing with 15 skaters tonight due to cap restrictions. So they would have to clear a significant amount of salary to fit Eichel's contract.

Not saying they can't do it. But it would take the right salary going out to bring in Eichel.

If Vegas has proven it's that they don't care about the salary cap

Reactions: mk80

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Some shitty offers thrown around by Flames fans for literally the player they’ve been needing and wanting for more than a decade. They offering less than OPs ask like Buffalo is forced to do a trade with the Flames only. Good luck.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
So you guys have almost ruined a great player, and now you want what he was worth before you ruined him? Yeah, it doesn't work like that.

You either get what you can for him or let his value tank even more.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Man some of these proposals are crazy lol.

I am trying to see how a trade like this would work.

Turcotte + 2021 1st round pick (7-9th overall) + Kupari or Clague for Eichel?

thats 2 blue chips + a B prospect for Eichel. That is lower than Buffalo’s initial ask of 4 1st round pieces.

If I’m LA, I wouldn’t offer more than that. If I’m Buffalo, I wouldn’t sell for that cheap. Simply but, idk if there is a middle ground where it works. But it’s Buffalo, so…

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
Yah, but again, GM may not want to "spend" that much on a guy with his injury history whitout seeing he's back to full form

Makes sense, but also if he is back to full form his value is then also higher.

Damn if you do, damn if you dont.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
For some reason I see him ending up in Vegas.

My guess is he's traded for Cody Glass, Peyton Krebs, Reilly Smith, 1st 2021, 1st 2022, and NJ 2nd 2021.

But what also be included is potential trades within other teams in order to help with other teams expansion drafts considering Vegas has leeway as to not be effected in the expansion draft by any means.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
geeze Buffalo is going to struggle BAD convincing UFAs to sign there... its going to be next to impossible for them to convince guys to come FORSURE if Eichel is gone

what in tarnation is going on there.. wow

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
The Rangers are a Jack Eichel away from being a stanley cup contender. I think they should do whatever it takes to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad