News: Jack Eichel not happy in Buffalo [JACK EICHEL MEGATHREAD] Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Sabres fans 7 years ago "You need to tank to get that elite franchise player who can singlehandedly turn your team around. You only get that guy by intentionally sucking so bad that you cheer for the other team when they score against you.'

Sabres fans now "It's not Jack's fault. "

Seems like tanking may not have been a great strategy after all if 7 years later your just as bad when you are actually trying to be good.

You’re actually kinda weird dude. I see you in every Eichel thread for like the past year bashing him. Did he mess around with your girl or something :naughty:

Ledge And Dairy

What you're referring to is buyers trading for rentals for a couple months in a playoff push.

Eichel will be 25 with 5 years remaining on his contract. It's a completely different situation than what are describing.
No its not, when the arbitrary request of "4 1sts" came out he obviously wasn't referring to 4 1st overall picks. Teams that trade 1sts are teams that are competing for the cup, not rebuilders. Eichel's age and contract is not relevant to the perceived value of a traded 1st.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Who would kings offer up? Byfield/Turcotte/kempe/ vilardi/ Anderson-Dolan/ other ???
No. Honestly, the Kings aren't at the point of their rebuild to blow the whole thing up for one player. That's why teams like the Rangers and the Wild are better options.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
No its not, when the arbitrary request of "4 1sts" came out he obviously wasn't referring to 4 1st overall picks. Teams that trade 1sts are teams that are competing for the cup, not rebuilders. Eichel's age and contract is not relevant to the perceived value of a traded 1st.

It's closer to the opposite of that. Teams like TB or Carolina are the ones that will lack the cap space and won't want to make major changes to their team.

Teams that are struggling or need a shakeup are the teams that will be in the running. Eichel is young enough where plenty of teams that aren't already high end cup contenders would be interested if healthy.

Eichel isn't a put your team over the top piece. He is a foundational piece.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Who says no to this trade?

TO CLB:
- Jack Eichel

TO BUF:
- Seth Jones (if he's willing to commit to the Sabres rebuilding plan for the long haul)

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

TO CLB:
- Jack Eichel

TO BUF:
- Seth Jones (if he's willing to commit to the Sabres rebuilding plan for the long haul)

Buffalo easily declines. Seth Jones is overrated and the Sabres need centers if Eichel and Reinhart leave.

Also I can't see him wanting to sign here long term unless it's a serious overpayment

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

TO CLB:
- Jack Eichel

TO BUF:
Seth Jones

Value wise it’s close, but much like Reinhart and Eichel, he’s not going to want to be on a team that’s years away from playoff contention. Buffalo just needs too much at the current time. I can see FLA and LA being very interested in his services. FLA needs to shed cap for him and Bennett. Especially with Bennett’s strome like resurrection of his career, And LA is further along in their rebuild then buffalo. LA is also a top UFA destination and a lot easier to attract outside talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boxscore

Ledge And Dairy

It's closer to the opposite of that. Teams like TB or Carolina are the ones that will lack the cap space and won't want to make major changes to their team.

Teams that are struggling or need a shakeup are the teams that will be in the running. Eichel is young enough where plenty of teams that aren't already high end cup contenders would be interested if healthy.
You really dont get the point do you. Its not about Eichel, his cap hit, his injury, whatever. Its about the general value of a traded 1st. Rebuilding teams dont trade away 1sts and since their picks are almost always higher in the draft their 1sts have more "trade value" than a standard traded 1st. When that whole thing of "it will cost 4 1sts for Eichel" came out months ago it was a vary vague point. All I'm saying is that some 1sts have more value than others, and that the request of 4 1sts should be more defined as the mid-late 1sts that would usually be traded, and not 4 top 10 picks.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Buffalo easily declines the chance to add a bonda fide #1 right hand shot D just hitting his prime? :huh:
Not sure Sabres need is jones... I am not a Sabres fan but seems to me they’d need a top centre in return... especially if eichel and reinhart are not going to be back.

which is why I am not sure why wild would be a good trading partner. Just seems like either way you cut this deal they need a top line centre coming back.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
You really dont get the point do you. Its not about Eichel, his cap hit, his injury, whatever. Its about the general value of a traded 1st. Rebuilding teams dont trade away 1sts and since their picks are almost always higher in the draft their 1sts have more "trade value" than a standard traded 1st. When that whole thing of "it will cost 4 1sts for Eichel" came out months ago it was a vary vague point. All I'm saying is that some 1sts have more value than others, and that the request of 4 1sts should be more defined as the mid-late 1sts that would usually be traded, and not 4 top 10 picks.
I don't see how the Sabres trade Eichel for picks--I don't care if they're 1sts or whatever. How do you get players like Dahlin to have faith in the organization if you trade your star 1st line centerman for picks? The Sabres need to make a legit hockey deal if/when they move Eichel.

Either a 1-for-1 swap for another top-tiered player who is fairly young. Or a package that will address multiple holes on the Sabres. I still think if Eichel is traded, we'll see a trade that's something like...

Eichel for Jones/Werenski.

Eichel for Kakko, Lundkvist, Georgiev, pick.

Eichel for Turcotte, Kempe, picks.

Eichel for Couturier (extended), Sanheim and Allison.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

The point you are not getting is that Eichel is a foundational piece and not a rental. He isn't a goal scoring winger or vet d to help a team put you over the top. He is a franchise center.

I should point out that I don't feel the need to get 4 1st round picks in exchange for Eichel. I'd rather have a very good prospect or young player.

The other point you aren't getting is that it wouldn't literally be 4 1sts, let alone 4 top 10 picks

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kings are not moving Vilardi for Jones.
I agree. 100% not at their current point in time. If I’m the kings I move Turcotte way before even entertain the idea of moving Villardi. Villardi is far more proven, and the main concern surrounding him was his injuries. He’s seemed to get that major question answered and been one of LA s best players. Turcotte isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire, but he’s still a damn good prospect and a solid bet to make a very good 2nd or 3rd line center. I just think Villardi has a little higher end talent and sees the game better then Turcotte.

Last edited:

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
One thing I'm relieved about is that the Sabres won't be in the running for the type of contract Seth Jones will command.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How do you figure?

55 guys from his draft have more NHL pts than him, 7 guys have the same number of pts as him.

He had less ppg in the AHL this year than Lias Andersson, whose value was a very late 2nd.

Not a single team in the NHL gives up a 1st rd pick for Morgan Barron. He's not the bluest of blue chips, he's not the tealest of blue chips or the palest of blue chips. He's beige.

I never said 1st for Barron.
I said he looked good if redrafted he would go some rounds higher.

I said he looked good. Can come in bottom 6 now and develop to mid 6 upside.

Wanted recognition that Buch is a 1st+, as is Strome.
Those two +s are close to worth another 1st,
i.e., 3 1sts for Buch + Strome, Rangers add a sweetener.

Ledge And Dairy

The point you are not getting is that Eichel is a foundational piece and not a rental. He isn't a goal scoring winger or vet d to help a team put you over the top. He is a franchise center.

I should point out that I don't feel the need to get 4 1st round picks in exchange for Eichel. I'd rather have a very good prospect or young player.

The other point you aren't getting is that it wouldn't literally be 4 1sts, let alone 4 top 10 picks
What does Eichel not being a rental have to do with it? I was never talking to you to begin with, all I'm doing is defining the value of a "potentially traded 1st" based on the standard of what range of 1st round picks are most commonly traded.

Again, this is not specifically about Eichel

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
I agree. 100% not at their current point in time. If I’m the kings I move Turcotte way before even entertains the idea of moving Villardi. Villardi is far more proven, and the main concern surrounding him was his injuries. He’s seemed to get that major question answered and been one of LA s best players. Turcotte isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire, but he’s still a damn good prospect and a solid bet to make a very good 2nd or 3rd line center. I just think Villardi has a little higher end talent and sees the game better then Turcotte.
The Kings are pretty high on Turcotte. He was a rookie this year in the AHL who plays a 200' game. He centered the WJC Gold Medal top line with Zegras and Arty. He's continued to show improvement throughout the AHL season. There was a pundit who tracks NA players from their youth teams, through juniors and into the AHL. He knows Turcotte pretty well, he stated that as good as Turcotte is at Center, he may be even better at Wing. Which, happens to be a weakness in the Kings pipeline. So, I don't see the Kings being too motivated to move on from him.

Ledge And Dairy

I don't see how the Sabres trade Eichel for picks--I don't care if they're 1sts or whatever. How do you get players like Dahlin to have faith in the organization if you trade your star 1st line centerman for picks? The Sabres need to make a legit hockey deal if/when they move Eichel.

Either a 1-for-1 swap for another top-tiered player who is fairly young. Or a package that will address multiple holes on the Sabres. I still think if Eichel is traded, we'll see a trade that's something like...

Eichel for Jones/Werenski.

Eichel for Kakko, Lundkvist, Georgiev, pick.

Eichel for Turcotte, Kempe, picks.

Eichel for Couturier (extended), Sanheim and Allison.
They wont trade him for picks alone, I never said that. It will very likely be a package of futures though, probably including a young top 9 player on an ELC (or just coming off ELC), very good prospect, 1-2 1st rounders, NHL veteran for cap reasons.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
What does Eichel not being a rental have to do with it? I was never talking to you to begin with, all I'm doing is defining the value of a "potentially traded 1st" based on the standard of what range of 1st round picks are most commonly traded.

Again, this is not specifically about Eichel

You were talking about contenders draft picks being late round picks. You were also talking about Eichel being a piece to put a team over the top. That describes rentals, not someone with 5 years in his contract nor foundational pieces.

I agree it doesn't need to be considered 4 top 10 picks

Ledge And Dairy

You were talking about contenders draft picks being late round picks. You were also talking about Eichel being a piece to put a team over the top. That describes rentals, not someone with 5 years in his contract nor foundational pieces.
I very specifically said mid-late 1st in my original post about the value of the 1st. I also never said anything about what Eichel would do for the receiving team, you are putting words into my mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca