Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Man these have become laughable:

Eichel makes too much! He's injury prone!

He had a HART level season in 19-20. The only reason he didn't get consideration because the team around him was terrible, which they showed this year.

And even this year with a fractured rib when he couldn't shoot he was just under PPG before shutting it down.

What everyone's best prospects hope they can be? Jack Eichel already is.

And he's signed for 5 more PEAK years.

There are no untouchables when a player of Jack Eichel's ilk become available at his age. He's a top 10 NHL player and a top 3 center in the league. The only reason teams might not be interested in Eichel is because they lack the assets Buffalo wants back.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

He had a HART level season in 19-20. The only reason he didn't get consideration because the team around him was terrible, which they showed this year.

And even this year with a fractured rib when he couldn't shoot he was just under PPG before shutting it down.

There are no untouchables when a player of Jack Eichel's ilk become available at his age. He's a top 10 NHL player and a top 3 center in the league. The only reason teams might not be interested in Eichel is because they lack the assets Buffalo wants back.

I hope you mean there are no untouchable prospects, because nobody is trading a legitimate #1C for your #1C who wants out and is going to be having neck surgery. You overrate him as a top 3 centre as well. He hasn't done anything to be ranked top 3, or top 5 for that matter. Top 10? Maybe, but not on my list. Top 3 is ridiculous, there is no way you can rank him ahead of McDavid, Draisaitl, McKinnon, or Matthews, and that is the clear top 4 centres in the league (2 through 4 are often in different order, but they are still clearly in the top 4)

Aug 25, 2009
éal
One place I think he would fit well is San José. They have lot of good prospects coming and they still have a few good pieces Eichel could work with right away.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

What he's signed for doesn't matter he's not spending the next 5 years as a sabre

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
It’s funny to see the comment “Eichel is a win now piece” like he’s 29-30 or something with 1-2 years left on his contract.
That's referencing the team not the player. A rebuilding team isn't going to go after Eichel they're going to compile picks and prospects. A team acquiring Eichel is looking to out themselves over the top and "win now".

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
couldn't shoot he was just under PPG before shutting it down.

I hope you mean there are no untouchable prospects, because nobody is trading a legitimate #1C for your #1C who wants out and is going to be having neck surgery. You overrate him as a top 3 centre as well. He hasn't done anything to be ranked top 3, or top 5 for that matter. Top 10? Maybe, but not on my list. Top 3 is ridiculous, there is no way you can rank him ahead of McDavid, Draisaitl, McKinnon, or Matthews, and that is the clear top 4 centres in the league (2 through 4 are often in different order, but they are still clearly in the top 4)

2019-20 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com Eichel finished 8th in hart voting last year, ahead of Matthews. There's McDavid and then there's everyone else. Eichel is right there in that discussion DESPITE being surrounded by worse players.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
2019-20 NHL Awards Voting | Hockey-Reference.com Eichel finished 8th in hart voting last year, ahead of Matthews. There's McDavid and then there's everyone else. Eichel is right there in that discussion DESPITE being surrounded by worse players.
If you are using Hart voting for only one season, you need to use the same voting to recognize that all of McDavid, Draisaitl and McKinnon are better than him (by Hart Voting standards). This puts him outside of the "top 3 centres" as claimed earlier.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
It’s funny to see the comment “Eichel is a win now piece” like he’s 29-30 or something with 1-2 years left on his contract.
Given Eichel’s comments do you think he would be happy joining a team that is 3-4 years away from competing?

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Given Eichel’s comments do you think he would be happy joining a team that is 3-4 years away from competing?
He has no control over that and has 5 years left on his contract. He’s 24, so he’s a core piece not a rental. He’s also a young superstar that never gets traded except for scenarios like this.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
He has no control over that and has 5 years left on his contract. He’s 24, so he’s a core piece not a rental. He’s also a young superstar that never gets traded except for scenarios like this.
Why would a rebuilding team want to pay the premium acquisition cost just to get a disgruntled player?

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
If Laf + Kakko were on the table Buffalo takes that deal and runs. What has Byfield done to be heads and shoulders above either but especially Laf? Not play in the NHL?

Coming in for 6 games and flat out dominating is maybe a reason?
Yes, he had just 1 point in those 6 games but he looked terrific even with garbage linemates

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

When was the last time a Hart trophy finalist finished tied for 10th in scoring? Artemi Panarin (an actual Hart finalist from that season) put up 17 more points playing on a line with Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast. And he didn't even win the Hart. Are Strome and Fast just that much better than anything else on Buffalo's roster? Because according to the trade threads, Buffalo fans seem to think Strome is ECHL level compared to their dominant players.

Eichel is not a top 3 center in the league. It isn't even debatable. McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Draisaitl, and Crosby are all undeniably better, and there are a good 10 more who are debatable. And that's IF we're assuming Eichel is healthy.

Which brings us to the issue. Eichel is never healthy. On skill alone, he should be in the top 15-20 minimum every year. In six NHL seasons, he's finished in that range once--last year--and he was tied for 10th. Most other years, he finished below 50th overall. Smart teams don't commit $10m in cap space and empty the cupboard for a player who has proven that he can't stay on the ice. He's a great talent, but when the selling team points to excuses rather than production, that's a clear sign that what they are selling has issues.

Buffalo fans want it both ways. They want to insist that Eichel isn't a perennial health risk, but they also need his injury history to explain his lower production rate relative to other top centers. Eichel is in his prime with six NHL seasons under his belt, and he doesn't have the numbers to be in the conversation as a top 5 center or a top 10 player. That means he's either not good enough or he's fragile. Pick one, and then recognize that that label is going to influence what other teams are going to be willing to pay for that kind of player.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
When was the last time a Hart trophy finalist finished tied for 10th in scoring? Artemi Panarin (an actual Hart finalist from that season) put up 17 more points playing on a line with Ryan Strome and Jesper Fast. And he didn't even win the Hart. Are Strome and Fast just that much better than anything else on Buffalo's roster? Because according to the trade threads, Buffalo fans seem to think Strome is ECHL level compared to their dominant players.

Eichel is not a top 3 center in the league. It isn't even debatable. McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Draisaitl, and Crosby are all undeniably better, and there are a good 10 more who are debatable. And that's IF we're assuming Eichel is healthy.

Which brings us to the issue. Eichel is never healthy. On skill alone, he should be in the top 15-20 minimum every year. In six NHL seasons, he's finished in that range once--last year--and he was tied for 10th. Most other years, he finished below 50th overall. Smart teams don't commit $10m in cap space and empty the cupboard for a player who has proven that he can't stay on the ice. He's a great talent, but when the selling team points to excuses rather than production, that's a clear sign that what they are selling has issues.

Buffalo fans want it both ways. They want to insist that Eichel isn't a perennial health risk, but they also need his injury history to explain his lower production rate relative to other top centers. Eichel is in his prime with six NHL seasons under his belt, and he doesn't have the numbers to be in the conversation as a top 5 center or a top 10 player. That means he's either not good enough or he's fragile. Pick one, and then recognize that that label is going to influence what other teams are going to be willing to pay for that kind of player.
Reminds me of Minnesota and Gaborik.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

I would also add Barkov, Point, and ROR. There are a lot of teams with legit Top line centers. The question is, is how much of an upgrade is he?

Here is the big question: Would Buffalo had been better off trading JE for the same package they got for ROR? Blues fans do not feel we would have won the cup if that was the case. Would Buffalo be in a place where the franchise was in caos?

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

He was pacing for 95 pts over 82. Panarin actually put up 95 in 69.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I would also add Barkov, Point, and ROR. There are a lot of teams with legit Top line centers. The question is, is how much of an upgrade is he?

Here is the big question: Would Buffalo had been better off trading JE for the same package they got for ROR? Blues fans do not feel we would have won the cup if that was the case. Would Buffalo be in a place where the franchise was in caos?
That's your big question? Should they have traded the better, younger player for a pile of shit instead of O'Reilly? How about none of the above. Keep your talented players that are under team control and for f***sake if you do move them don't "settle" for a package.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I think the team acquiring him would feel that they aren't 3-4 years away from competing if they acquire him. That's why you see guys like Byfield and Zegras not being put on the table because they idea would be to add Eichel to those guys.

I know the Rangers can put together a real nice package but LA just jumps out:

- Out of conference
- Tons of cap space
- Top 10 pick this year that is in play
- Top 3 prospect pool in the league
- Deepest prospect position is at center so a center or two can go back in the deal

Assume Byfield isn't part of the deal. Kings roll Eichel/Kopitar/Byfield/Anderson-Dolan at center. That's pretty good. With remaining prospect pool and cap space still available, they could add more to where it would be a real failure if they weren't competing in 3-4 years. Actually, not making the playoffs next season if they made a play for Eichel would be considered a failure.

I'm not saying the Kings should trade for him but Blake is guilty of not doing his job if he isn't kicking the tires on this. It will not be a full value trade given the circumstances. If you can add Eichel and still probably have what is considered a Top 5-8 prospect pool after the trade, that's pretty good work.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Eichel will be dealt this off-season with LA or NYR as most likely destinations

Reinhart will be dealt this off-season as well. Alot of suitors will be all over this. You could pick 10-15 teams pretty easily

Ristolainen will either be picked by Seattle or will be a 2022 TDL move.

Its going to suck but if Buffalo does this right they really could set themselves up nicely moving forward.

again...

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Yeah that'd be a great look for Jack. Nothing like showing the rest of the league that instead of being a competitor you're a petulant little child.

People keep on saying Buffalo has all the leverage and that simply isn't true. Even if Eichel gets 0pts by the trade deadline every single team in the league will be calling about Eichel

All Eichel has to say is "trade me now or I won't shoot another puck on net"

If Eichel wants out he can easily force Buffalo's hand

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
People keep on saying Buffalo has all the leverage and that simply isn't true. Even if Eichel gets 0pts by the trade deadline every single team in the league will be calling about Eichel

Agreed... in the end, when it comes to high end players like this, it doesn't really matter. It is an auction... teams that are contending or think they can contend have an interest in getting involved. It is up to Buff brass to decide what the best offer is, which is inevitably where the wheels will fall off (a la ROR trade). They will find a way to mess this up.

Reactions: L13

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Please trade for him LA. Prevent NYR from making a horrible mistake.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

I don't think Buffalo has all the leverage and I think it's pretty clear to anyone who knows the situation. With that said, I don't see Jack refusing to play for Buffalo while on a 10 million dollar a year contract. He can voice his unhappiness and even demand a trade which I'm sure Buffalo would try to facilitate. If the offers that come in are underwhelming for whatever reason (health would be the likely culprit). I wouldn't be pressured to just make a deal for the sake of making a deal and washing my hands of the situation (which is the premise many are operating under). I'd be prepared to tell Eichel "not right now" if the deals aren't to our satisfaction. Now maybe he pouts and takes his stick home and passes up the chance to make 10 million dollars, but I highly doubt that.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I had somebody refer to Eich as a "Tesla", but did not counter my correction of more like a high end Mercedes but with a lot of wear and tear.
That was me. I really didn't want to take the time to respond to someone who thought a base of Strome and Buchnevich even makes Buffalo think for a second about trading Eichel and that's really what my overall point was. You want a high-end asset, but you don't want to give anything meaningful up, ergo you don't really want Eichel. I think most Sabres fans will admit that Eichel has had some injury woes. Personally I think the neck thing is getting overblown. Even if he has surgery on it I'd have very little concern about a 24 year old athlete in prime physical condition bouncing back from that. The lower body injuries are an issue. He's missed significant time for what I beleive were both ankle injuries. That could be an issue moving forward. No need to be a used car salesman. Players like Eichel just don't become available. The price should dictate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad