NESN Jack Edwards goes on a Twitter rant against NBC

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Why would NESN (his employer) be upset because Jack is ranting about how much better NESN (his employer) is than the national station?
I was thinking more along the lines of the Jeremy Jacobs and the Boston Bruins, who own NESN. Jacobs owns most of NESN and might get asked about this when the next meeting with NBC happens.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Anyone who wouldn't want to hear Jack call a Cup-winning game for the Bs is insane IMO.

Nope. He'd do some really dumb, long winded rant that would actually be about him rather than the team. I can honestly say that I have no desire to hear him do anything like that. In fact, his act is so tired that it's a detraction and distraction from most games for me.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Nope. He'd do some really dumb, long winded rant that would actually be about him rather than the team. I can honestly say that I have no desire to hear him do anything like that. In fact, his act is so tired that it's a detraction and distraction from most games for me.
I am 100% in agreement with this.

As I have stated before.

The Jack Edwards Show.

Reactions: LSCII

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I understand Jack's frustration but at least NESN is allowed to show the first round in New England BUT NBCSN will NOT be blacked out. It is the same policy the NBA uses and has been in use since 2011-2012.

It is still better than MLB where the locals are locked out after the regular season ends.

This is a pipedream, but I wish they would allow NESN commentators do the games all the way through the playoffs, but allow it to be used only in re-airs. In other words, NESN would have no "live" rights but could show the games down the road on replay with hometown coverage. I'd love to be able to watch the Vancouver series in re-airs with Jack and Brick.
I remember when I was at ESPN, Jack was there as well and he could often be found in a small, dark booth outside studio B, doing European soccer game PBP for games that would only be shown on replay.
It would be a cool thing, but I also understand why it can't be.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was thinking more along the lines of the Jeremy Jacobs and the Boston Bruins, who own NESN. Jacobs owns most of NESN and might get asked about this when the next meeting with NBC happens.

Relations between the NHL and NBC are not good right now. The league believes the between period segments are stale and the same set has been used since 2012.

Bettman is intrigued by what FOX does in Australia where the network operates a stand-alone channel for Aussie Football.

upload_2019-4-8_9-27-42.png

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

I haven't chimed in much here on Edwards talk, but honestly I find him embarrassing. He detracts from the game AND he detracts from the brand. I'm frankly amazed he still has the job.

The fact that Edwards is one of the most thoroughly detested announcers in sports I think confirms...although I don't need that confirmation....the growing sentiment that you've also expressed.

Brick is great and he has to be like "wtf Jack" many times. If not, I'd question his integrity values as well.

Reactions: sarge88 and LSCII

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is a pipedream, but I wish they would allow NESN commentators do the games all the way through the playoffs, but allow it to be used only in re-airs. In other words, NESN would have no "live" rights but could show the games down the road on replay with hometown coverage. I'd love to be able to watch the Vancouver series in re-airs with Jack and Brick.
I remember when I was at ESPN, Jack was there as well and he could often be found in a small, dark booth outside studio B, doing European soccer game PBP for games that would only be shown on replay.
It would be a cool thing, but I also understand why it can't be.

NESN could easily have done that but chose not to. The LA Kings did it in 2012 for long time TV voice Bob Miller

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I used to be a big Edwards fan, but he's gotten more and more animated to the point that it's not enjoyable anymore. When he'd pepper in a little bit of crazy during a broadcast, I thought that was fun and kept what could be an otherwise dry telecast fresh.

He's a guy I'd love to sit down, have a few beers, and chat hockey with. He's clearly very knowledgeable and has a passion for the game. I just find his style and schtick to have gotten tiresome. Not every routine play is worthy of a crazy screaming fit, and not every goal is remarkable to the point of yelling like a maniac.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How was that released? Just online? Have they been able to re-air that game like that locally?

It was on the team DVD and I believe Fox Prime Ticket also aired it.

If NBC wanted to get creative they could put the local announcers on the SAP channel and affiliates could choose the feed to be heard in a market.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
It was on the team DVD and I believe Fox Prime Ticket also aired it.

If NBC wanted to get creative they could put the local announcers on the SAP channel and affiliates could choose the feed to be heard in a market.

That would be a great idea. They could even charge a very small amount so you could "buy your bias." :laugh:

Reactions: Fenway

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Not a big Edwards fan. I often watch the other teams broadcast so I don't have to listen to him. At times he's unbearable as he goes on with his rants and forgets he's suppose to do play by play and his love for Kucherov and the lightning these past few weeks was plain and simple just down right sick-able to listen too..

The nice thing about NBC picking up playoff hockey, is that there are a lot of Bruins fans around the country, who don't receive NESN but do NBC. means more exposure and hopefully more Bruins fans on the horizon.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2