NESN Jack Edwards goes on a Twitter rant against NBC

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
For whatever reason, this year I've started to swing to the shut up Jack side. He still has a few good moments, but more and more of his comments/rants make him sound like a child throwing a temper tantrum, because he didn't get a toy in the store
Same here for the past 2 years. When Goucher did the NBC game vs Vegas it felt like watching your ex girlfriend climb into her new boyfriends corvette and speed off blaring steve miller band

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Truth be known the Bruins are not thrilled with NESN - The coverage technically is the same since 2005 and they were not happy when 'The Instigators' was canceled this season. NBC Sports Boston has tweaked their Celtics coverage of the games and while many of you find fault with Haggerty he is still better than anyone NESN has covering the team.

The main issue now is if Jacobs could get the same ownership deal with NBC Sports Boston he might sell his NESN stake to the Red Sox but the Celtics might balk at that since they have had an ownership stake in the channel dating back to 1981 when it was called Prism. They bought out the Whalers share in 1997 when the station was Sportschannel.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Truth be known the Bruins are not thrilled with NESN - The coverage technically is the same since 2005 and they were not happy when 'The Instigators' was canceled this season. NBC Sports Boston has tweaked their Celtics coverage of the games and while many of you find fault with Haggerty he is still better than anyone NESN has covering the team.

The main issue now is if Jacobs could get the same ownership deal with NBC Sports Boston he might sell his NESN stake to the Red Sox but the Celtics might balk at that since they have had an ownership stake in the channel dating back to 1981 when it was called Prism. They bought out the Whalers share in 1997 when the station was Sportschannel.

Really interesting stuff here. Thank you, Fenway. It's a sad state for NESN when the bolded is true....Which it is. I couldn't even tell you who covers the Bruins for NESN. I would be all for a move to a network like NBC Sports Boston. New coverage, more dedicated coverage than they get right now on the network, and a new broadcast team to call games.

However, Bruins would once again be second to another team on the network, no? It would also run direct conflict for games during the season. I don't know the actual number, but how many times do the Celtics have a game the same night as the Bruins? Also, you have a lot of people on NBC Sports Boston who don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to hockey. You specifically have that goof Gary Tanguay who openly talks about how he doesn't like hockey and doesn't want to talk about it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Really interesting stuff here. Thank you, Fenway. It's a sad state for NESN when the bolded is true....Which it is. I couldn't even tell you who covers the Bruins for NESN. I would be all for a move to a network like NBC Sports Boston. New coverage, more dedicated coverage than they get right now on the network, and a new broadcast team to call games.

However, Bruins would once again be second to another team on the network, no? It would also run direct conflict for games during the season. I don't know the actual number, but how many times do the Celtics have a game the same night as the Bruins? Also, you have a lot of people on NBC Sports Boston who don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to hockey. You specifically have that goof Gary Tanguay who openly talks about how he doesn't like hockey and doesn't want to talk about it.

Gary Tanguay still lets everyone know he had a small speaking role in the movie Chappaquiddick last year.

upload_2019-4-9_8-49-17.png

CSN could easily put some games on an overflow channel as NESN does now.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Gary Tanguay still lets everyone know he had a small speaking role in the movie Chappaquiddick last year.

View attachment 211187

He's one of the worst in the business around here. They could do that. However, would putting the Bruins on the overflow channel affect ratings? It would be more common with basketball/hockey seeing their teams play during the exact same time.

Reactions: sarge88

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

View attachment 211187

yeah but it'd be a lot more often and IMO look a lot worse on the team.

constantly bumping the Bruins to a sub station over the Celtics instantly makes them appear inferior in the fans minds and cheapens the brand.

Can't imagine Jacobs or the team would be on board with that

Plus NBCSN has only had the Celtics for so long now, well over a decade, that they are completely invested in and build around the Celtics. It is essentially like a NESN for them. (i know, not exactly news to you, haha)

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
For whatever reason, this year I've started to swing to the shut up Jack side. He still has a few good moments, but more and more of his comments/rants make him sound like a child throwing a temper tantrum, because he didn't get a toy in the store

At least we have options on who we want to listen to. I’ll take doc emrick any day

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
yeah but it'd be a lot more often and IMO look a lot worse on the team.

constantly bumping the Bruins to a sub station over the Celtics instantly makes them appear inferior in the fans minds and cheapens the brand.

Can't imagine Jacobs or the team would be on board with that

Plus NBCSN has only had the Celtics for so long now, well over a decade, that they are completely invested in and build around the Celtics. It is essentially like a NESN for them. (i know, not exactly news to you, haha)

Conflicts could be worked out easily enough - NBC has no problems with juggling the Blackhawks/Bulls, Sixers/Flyers, Wizards/Caps and Sharks/Warriors. Also, NBC can bring in Milbury and Pierre ( who lives in Belmont during the season) for occasional studio shows.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I can't stand Edwards but this particular issue ain't the hill to die on for me. Although I'm not really sure what his point is. Come gametime, fans are gonna be able to find the channel it's on.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

member 96824

Game 82 was too much. I’m glad we only have up to 7 more games of Jack this year(if you’re reading jack, please don’t fill my DMs with paragraphs of nonsense).

Used to like him, but I can’t figure out of he’s gotten more over the top, or if it’s just worn thin. I think it’s a mix of both as his profile has risen. It’s a shame cause he’s a smart dude.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
Game 82 was too much. I’m glad we only have up to 7 more games of Jack this year(if you’re reading jack, please don’t fill my DMs with paragraphs of nonsense).

Used to like him, but I can’t figure out of he’s gotten more over the top, or if it’s just worn thin. I think it’s a mix of both as his profile has risen. It’s a shame cause he’s a smart dude.

I agree. It's unfortunate because he's a really skilled PBP guy at his core. He gets all the player names right and follows the action very well. He gives opposing teams credit when it's deserved.

If I have the game on in the background while doing something else, I can tell when it's worth looking at the screen just by listening to him call the game.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Conflicts could be worked out easily enough - NBC has no problems with juggling the Blackhawks/Bulls, Sixers/Flyers, Wizards/Caps and Sharks/Warriors. Also, NBC can bring in Milbury and Pierre ( who lives in Belmont during the season) for occasional studio shows.

Who does, Mike or Pierre?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

He is also very thin skinned.

The time a few years ago when he ridiculed Lou Merloni's professional baseball career, which was at the MLB level as well, because he had the audacity to question a Bruins player at the time on a sports talk show.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
The station/announcers who call the game for an nhl club throughout the season should absolutely have the right to continue calling the game throughout the playoffs. Hate or love Jack, he has a valid point. It feels like your job, which you have been doing all season long, has been stripped away from you when it matters most.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The station/announcers who call the game for an nhl club throughout the season should absolutely have the right to continue calling the game throughout the playoffs. Hate or love Jack, he has a valid point. It feels like your job, which you have been doing all season long, has been stripped away from you when it matters most.

No major sport allows local announcers to do every game in the playoffs. Football doesn't have local announcers, in baseball the nationals get it from game 1 of the playoffs, in basketball it's the same. So what makes Jack think hockey should be different? At least he gets the 1st round, unlike the other sports.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

If it will make Jack feel better, just set him up "high above the Garden ice" or whatever it is he says with a headset on and let him yell into a dead mic all game long.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I think "Holy Jumpin" is Darren Pang (STL)? He does do playoff work for NBC, so there is a cjance of hearing this catch phrase, which is one of the worst in the league IMO.

Jack is bad too though.

It's his and only his.

This, whatever it is though, DRIVES me nuts. It's not even any form of English. I know a lot of people love Darren Pang, but I just can't stand the guy. He was a virtual blip on the NHL radar and made a "name" for himself because he was a novelty as an NHL goalie.

Good on him I guess, but Holy jumpin! is freaking ridiculously annoying

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Relations between the NHL and NBC are not good right now. The league believes the between period segments are stale and the same set has been used since 2012.

I didn't realize there was friction, but I'm not surprised, as I tune out the between period segments (and not because it's the same set since 2012!).

Kathryn Tappen is a consummate professional and I even like most on-air personalities, including Keith Jones and yes, Mike Milbury.

I dislike the presentation because it seems to be aimed at casual fans, who probably aren't watching anyway. The mindset of everything NBC does is more about 'growing the game' than entertaining the fans they already have.

I don't know about other platforms, but the YouTube numbers for the PK Project are dismal. Kendal Coyne skated a lap in a meaningless exhibition and NBC treated it as if the Leafs or Habs just ended Canada's decades-long Cup misery.

I wish they would stop aiming the product at those who don't care, realize what works for other sports won't necessarily work for them, and cater to the loyal fans they already have.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I didn't realize there was friction, but I'm not surprised, as I tune out the between period segments (and not because it's the same set since 2012!).

Kathryn Tappen is a consummate professional and I even like most on-air personalities, including Keith Jones and yes, Mike Milbury.

I dislike the presentation because it seems to be aimed at casual fans, who probably aren't watching anyway. The mindset of everything NBC does is more about 'growing the game' than entertaining the fans they already have.

I don't know about other platforms, but the YouTube numbers for the PK Project are dismal. Kendal Coyne skated a lap in a meaningless exhibition and NBC treated it as if the Leafs or Habs just ended Canada's decades-long Cup misery.

I wish they would stop aiming the product at those who don't care, realize what works for other sports won't necessarily work for them, and cater to the loyal fans they already have.

unfortunately, you could replace "NBC" with "NHL" in your post and it'd all be just as true. ESPECIALLY your last paragraph

ClassicBruins

Apr 19, 2018
And I was looking forward to NBC so I didn't have to listen to Jack! Count me in as another that can't stand Jack. What a goof!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->