DAL-NSHChris CuthbertJoe Micheletti
VGK-SJSAlex FaustMike Johnson
TOR-BOSMike “Doc” EmrickMike Milbury, Brian Boucher
CAR-WSHBrendan BurkePierre McGuire
COL-CGYGord MillerRay Ferarro
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
wait so can someone clarify the broadcast schedule for round 1? Is NESN covering these games or not? And if so will someone living out of town (I'm in Denver) & subscribed to NHL gamecenter be able to watch the NESN feed without being blacked out by NBC or am I just going to be stuck with NBC the whole way?

Reactions: Strafer

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Dear Lord, not Doc! :banghead:
Doc is pretty good in the playoffs because the action is intense & he doesn't have a lot of room to do the typical NBC "talk to the audience like they've never seen hockey before" routine. Like I still find him grating but I can live with him. Milbury is f***ing awful, though.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Doc is pretty good in the playoffs because the action is intense & he doesn't have a lot of room to do the typical NBC "talk to the audience like they've never seen hockey before" routine. Like I still find him grating but I can live with him. Milbury is ****ing awful, though.
LOL, Milbury: "Do as I say, not as I did."

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
wait so can someone clarify the broadcast schedule for round 1? Is NESN covering these games or not? And if so will someone living out of town (I'm in Denver) & subscribed to NHL gamecenter be able to watch the NESN feed without being blacked out by NBC or am I just going to be stuck with NBC the whole way?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Alicat and Strafer

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I agree. It's unfortunate because he's a really skilled PBP guy at his core. He gets all the player names right and follows the action very well. He gives opposing teams credit when it's deserved.

If I have the game on in the background while doing something else, I can tell when it's worth looking at the screen just by listening to him call the game.
That's why I think he would be a perfect national guy to replace Emerick. And without the NESN audience, the homer issues (especially during fisticuffs) would be neutered. Too bad he keeps picking fights with the national teams.

Reactions: Strafer

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Jack's PBP is great, so I'd hate to lose him. I watch a lot of out of town games and sometimes you don't know what you got til it's gone. There are far worse guys calling games.

Perhaps someone should pull him aside or send him an email, stating that his antics are a mismatch in today's kinder, gentler league.

Claude Julien reinvented himself for the modern game, so I don't see why Edwards couldn't do similar.

When the B's won in Montreal earlier this season, Jack was mocking Habs fans as they were leaving. And no, not the obnoxious clowns with their faces painted, just ordinary citizens.

That struck me as terribly crass and unprofessional; and completely out of context as it wasn't an old-fashioned Boston/Montreal game with lots of vitriol.

Like Marchand on the ice, if he gets that out of his game, Edwards can be a top flight PBP guy.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Jack's PBP is great, so I'd hate to lose him. I watch a lot of out of town games and sometimes you don't know what you got til it's gone. There are far worse guys calling games.

Perhaps someone should pull him aside or send him an email, stating that his antics are a mismatch in today's kinder, gentler league.

Claude Julien reinvented himself for the modern game, so I don't see why Edwards couldn't do similar.

When the B's won in Montreal earlier this season, Jack was mocking Habs fans as they were leaving. And no, not the obnoxious clowns with their faces painted, just ordinary citizens.

That struck me as terribly crass and unprofessional; and completely out of context as it wasn't an old-fashioned Boston/Montreal game with lots of vitriol.

Like Marchand on the ice, if he gets that out of his game, Edwards can be a top flight PBP guy.

He'd be good nationally so would Brickley both are better suited to that.

Dave Goucher should be our PBP guy. I'd like to have a different crew for home and road. Just too much Edwards when you watch all 82 games and Brickley bores me as well.

Reactions: Jdavidev

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I didn't realize there was friction, but I'm not surprised, as I tune out the between period segments (and not because it's the same set since 2012!).

Kathryn Tappen is a consummate professional and I even like most on-air personalities, including Keith Jones and yes, Mike Milbury.

I dislike the presentation because it seems to be aimed at casual fans, who probably aren't watching anyway. The mindset of everything NBC does is more about 'growing the game' than entertaining the fans they already have.

I don't know about other platforms, but the YouTube numbers for the PK Project are dismal. Kendal Coyne skated a lap in a meaningless exhibition and NBC treated it as if the Leafs or Habs just ended Canada's decades-long Cup misery.

I wish they would stop aiming the product at those who don't care, realize what works for other sports won't necessarily work for them, and cater to the loyal fans they already have.

I like Milbury as well. He has a good voice (honestly that’s half the battle) and he seems comfortable and natural in front of the camera.
Remember when there was a segment where Roenick argued against some other player? It was so forced and cringy. Roenick just seems so stiff, especially when he’s trying to be edgy.

I also think people naturally tune out between periods.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I don’t mind Jack overall. Sure, he has his slant and is vocal about it from time to time, but he clearly loves the game and his Bruins. I’ve tried tuning into a lot of other PBP guys for other teams. Very few are good, most are competent but not very colorful, and some are just...zzzzzz

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Dave Goucher should be our PBP guy. I'd like to have a different crew for home and road. Just too much Edwards when you watch all 82 games and Brickley bores me as well.
Exactly what I would be looking for. Perfect scenario.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

Jack did several national games when he was with ESPN. Fundamentally, he's a good PXP guy.

I really, really like Brickley as an analyst. Local or national, he sees the game well and explains it and he plays a good straight man to Jack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->