NESN Jack Edwards goes on a Twitter rant against NBC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I hadn't seen the first tweet in this storm, and I understand it much better now. Edwards is prone to anti-NBC tirades, particularly when they poach a regular season game he likes. Come on, do you really think NBC is going to pass on Bruins/Rangers, given the markets? Or even Bruins/Habs, given the rivalry? If I were Jack, I'd be happy that the Bruins are doing well enough that NBC is actively poaching the games. It's when the team is so bad that they only get 3 or 4 games on national TV that the team is so bad that even the regional markets suffer.

But in this case, he does have a valid point. The NHL's website has big huge NBC/NBCSN/CNBC logos (which confusingly look too much alike), and literally no mention of NESN. If NESN isn't punting on the games, and they obvoiusly aren't, then the NHL could at least do the courtesy of listing it on their website. In fact, NESN is making a bit of a sacrifice, because they are (I'm assuming) putting the Sox on NESN+.

It's deceitful to omit NESN from the listing. Almost as deceitful as saying "coverage starts at 6 PM".

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hadn't seen the first tweet in this storm, and I understand it much better now. Edwards is prone to anti-NBC tirades, particularly when they poach a regular season game he likes. Come on, do you really think NBC is going to pass on Bruins/Rangers, given the markets? Or even Bruins/Habs, given the rivalry? If I were Jack, I'd be happy that the Bruins are doing well enough that NBC is actively poaching the games. It's when the team is so bad that they only get 3 or 4 games on national TV that the team is so bad that even the regional markets suffer.

But in this case, he does have a valid point. The NHL's website has big huge NBC/NBCSN/CNBC logos (which confusingly look too much alike), and literally no mention of NESN. If NESN isn't punting on the games, and they obvoiusly aren't, then the NHL could at least do the courtesy of listing it on their website. In fact, NESN is making a bit of a sacrifice, because they are (I'm assuming) putting the Sox on NESN+.

It's deceitful to omit NESN from the listing. Almost as deceitful as saying "coverage starts at 6 PM".

NESN is NOT an official partner of the NHL just like the other RSN's in the league that were not mentioned.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Yes, but NESN is listed in every regular season game they cover...even when there's dual coverage. I guess that's because in the Boston area, NBCSN gets blacked out when it's a non-exclusive, so there's no competition, right?

I get that NHL wants to be nice to NBC and not advertise the competition. But it does seem weird - if a casual or new fan knows that "most Bruins games are on NESN, with a few on NBCSN/NBC", then surely the first place they'd look for the playoffs is NESN.

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I understand Jack's frustration but at least NESN is allowed to show the first round in New England BUT NBCSN will NOT be blacked out. It is the same policy the NBA uses and has been in use since 2011-2012.

It is still better than MLB where the locals are locked out after the regular season ends.

I like Jack, I like that he's pretty much a "homer" and he let's it all hang out. I like that he is honest about his love of the team and that he makes no apologies for it. His knowledge of the game is decent and with Brick they have "it" covered. I don't want to hear about how great Toronto and their "wonderful, magnificent, fabtabulous, world renowned athletes are. I want to hear the game from guys who are also fans of the Boston Bruins, namely Jack, Brick and the rest of the NESN team! The heck with any other outlet.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yes, but NESN is listed in every regular season game they cover...even when there's dual coverage. I guess that's because in the Boston area, NBCSN gets blacked out when it's a non-exclusive, so there's no competition, right?

I get that NHL wants to be nice to NBC and not advertise the competition. But it does seem weird - if a casual or new fan knows that "most Bruins games are on NESN, with a few on NBCSN/NBC", then surely the first place they'd look for the playoffs is NESN.

Local TV announcers resent that they will never have the opportunity to call a Cup-winning game but that is the business. There was a window between 1975 and 1994 where they could and Sam Rosen was the last to do so with the Rangers on MSG.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Overall, I enjoy Jack Edwards; though I do find his deliberately animated style was more effective when the game had more 'truculence.'

So win or lose, it's a bit sad when his games run out.

Surprisngly, I think he would do great calling a national game, as his preparation is unmatched. But due to his shtick, I doubt he'll get the chance.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Overall, I enjoy Jack Edwards; though I do find his deliberately animated style was more effective when the game had more 'truculence.'

So win or lose, it's a bit sad when his games run out.

Surprisngly, I think he would do great calling a national game, as his preparation is unmatched. But due to his shtick, I doubt he'll get the chance.

He called the 2002 World Cup for ESPN/ABC

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I just hope Jack doesn’t get himself in trouble one of these days with that twitter account of his.

I wonder how his employer feels about that rant?

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I prefer the NBC coverage when it's available. Edwards is a good, knowledgeable play-by-play announcer, but his schtick is increasingly tiresome, IMO. His freak-out over Joseph's hit on Krejci was pretty irresponsible. It was a bad hit, though not to the head and not a penalty, so let the players sort it out, without putting a target on the guy's back. Isn't he aware of CTE, and the well-documented connection between fights and brain injury? He should grow up. Also, Edwards seems to be doing ever more blab-blab-blabbing during the action, and actually distracting from the game itself.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I believe the habs home station would cover all their games if they were in the playoffs, not sure why NESN isn't allowed to do the same.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I agree with jack and the whole nbc local bullshit totally f***ed me over last year having psvue

Now I watch the games totally illegally and it’s because of that nonsense. Woulda been happy to give someone my money but clearly no one wanted it, so back to the darkweb it is. And it’s worked great all season btw. f*** cable companies and all the noise. But they’ll learn...oh they’ll learn.

Reactions: Lockheed and hoss75

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I believe the habs home station would cover all their games if they were in the playoffs, not sure why NESN isn't allowed to do the same.

Well, the National Broadcasts are in English for one. TVA, which broadcasts the Canadiens games. were part of the Rogers/NHL deal and have control of the French language rights.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Nope - In Canada, it is worse as the Habs local games are carried by Bell Media's RDS French and TSN in English, Come playoffs all games in Canada are on Sportsnet and TVAS.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Presuming the NHL cares about their fans, they should list all the TV & radio stations broadcasting the games and note which coverage is regional.

:biglaugh:

The Bruins website ( which is run by the NHL vis MLBAM ) doesn't even mention NESN is carrying Game 1

upload_2019-4-8_9-12-17.png

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad