Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Way too early to tell. Also why not trade Killorn? He’s way easier to replace than Drej or TJ.
I'm kinda going on the assumption that Killorn might have to be shed anyway to resign our most important guys. Maybe, maybe not.

This was more a hypothetical of if you had to choose between....I agree it's a bit early to tell.

Miller brings a bigger body and faceoff improvement. Also, gives us a better wing option supposed to TyJo who is not our 3rd center.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Miller is an upgraded Killorn, makes more sense to move him and keep Miller than move Palat and TJ who bring something else.

This is my ideal situation. Especially if Miller keeps on doing what hes been doing and into the playoffs. Plus we might be able to save some money that route too. SY gets into a staring match with Millers agent.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
This is my ideal situation. Especially if Miller keeps on doing what hes been doing and into the playoffs. Plus we might be able to save some money that route too. SY gets into a staring match with Millers agent.
ktt1lnR.jpg

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Zero analysis on our cap situation. People want to trade this player and that player and keep mentioning our DIRE situation against the cap. Where are these conclusions coming from? Every time this gets out of hand I have to do a long ass post about our cap situation and it mellows everyone out. But who puts this stuff out there that we can't afford to keep every performing contract out there?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If it's one or the other, what do you pick?

Trade one of TyJo/Palat

Or

Don't resign Miller

Don't need to do either, Werewolf's right. You can re-sign all of our roster RFA's (Erne ~1m, KK~1m, Miller~5-6m) to anything reasonable, still have a chunk of cap left even with minimum cap increase for next year. We don't need to move anybody, especially not solid contributing guys. The year after becomes tricky and this is where you hope the cap goes up as much as it can this year, without moving anybody we'd be right up against an ~81-83m cap. But in 2020-2021 and after that we're golden with all core players locked up and still have tons of room for depth.

I'd maybe look into moving Killorn if you want a more fluid and faster lineup in a couple years time.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I blame Hose

I'll bite. Going into the 19-20 season we have 9 players under contract taking up over 43mil with 31mil left to fill out the roster. So 14 players needed which would average 2.2 per to get to the 31mil. Clearly not all with be at that price.

Palat(5.3) -Stamkos(8.5) - ?
Killorn(4.45) - Johnson(5.0) - ?
? - Cirelli(728k) - Callahan(5.8)
? - ? - ?

Hedman(7.88) - ?
Sergachev(894k) - ?
? - ?

Vasilevskiy(3.5)
?

The big extensions are Kucherov and Point while also needing to make a decision on McDonagh. Kucherov takes a discount at 9.5, Point gets a 3 year bridge at 4.5, 3 years cause that'll take him till Palat comes off the books. So those two take 14 which leaves 17 for 12 players, 1.4 per player. You have Miller and Gourde still of the big name forwards and still only two defenders. You sign Miller for 5 and Gourde takes 3.5 then you're looking at 8.5 for 10 players, no chance for Karlsson. You sign McDonagh for 6.5 and you can't even fill the roster with league minimum players. But the cap is going up so you may have enough to throw a bunch of ELC players on their and fit.

Palat(5.3) - Stamkos(8.5) - Kucherov(9.5)
Miller(5.0) - Point(4.5) - Gourde(3.5)
Killorn(4.45) - Johnson(5.0) - Callahan(5.8)
Joseph(728k) - Cirelli(728k) - Stephens(833k)

Hedman(7.88) - Sergachev(894k)
McDonagh(6.5) - Foote(900k)
Masin(900k) - Cernak(698k)

Vasilevskiy(3.5)
Ingram(759k)

That's 76.37 without and extras, 3 extras puts you 78.5. 3.5 above the current cap of 75. The cap should go up by more than that in the next two offseasons so it could work if everyone takes a deal like I mentioned. Pretty young defense too. Callahan off the books the next year to cover Vasilevskiy not sure enough for Sergachev though. We can make it work but will be very tight.

Reactions: Todd1a and Stamper

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I'll bite. Going into the 19-20 season we have 9 players under contract taking up over 43mil with 31mil left to fill out the roster. So 14 players needed which would average 2.2 per to get to the 31mil. Clearly not all with be at that price.

Palat(5.3) -Stamkos(8.5) - ?
Killorn(4.45) - Johnson(5.0) - ?
? - Cirelli(728k) - Callahan(5.8)
? - ? - ?

Hedman(7.88) - ?
Sergachev(894k) - ?
? - ?

Vasilevskiy(3.5)
?

The big extensions are Kucherov and Point while also needing to make a decision on McDonagh. Kucherov takes a discount at 9.5, Point gets a 3 year bridge at 4.5, 3 years cause that'll take him till Palat comes off the books. So those two take 14 which leaves 17 for 12 players, 1.4 per player. You have Miller and Gourde still of the big name forwards and still only two defenders. You sign Miller for 5 and Gourde takes 3.5 then you're looking at 8.5 for 10 players, no chance for Karlsson. You sign McDonagh for 6.5 and you can't even fill the roster with league minimum players. But the cap is going up so you may have enough to throw a bunch of ELC players on their and fit.

Palat(5.3) - Stamkos(8.5) - Kucherov(9.5)
Miller(5.0) - Point(4.5) - Gourde(3.5)
Killorn(4.45) - Johnson(5.0) - Callahan(5.8)
Joseph(728k) - Cirelli(728k) - Stephens(833k)

Hedman(7.88) - Sergachev(894k)
McDonagh(6.5) - Foote(900k)
Masin(900k) - Cernak(698k)

Vasilevskiy(3.5)
Ingram(759k)

That's 76.37 without and extras, 3 extras puts you 78.5. 3.5 above the current cap of 75. The cap should go up by more than that in the next two offseasons so it could work if everyone takes a deal like I mentioned. Pretty young defense too. Callahan off the books the next year to cover Vasilevskiy not sure enough for Sergachev though. We can make it work but will be very tight.

I knew you would deliver.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Hose take off Callahan. He has a M-NTC starting this off-season. He'll submit his teams and he'll be gone ... that frees up his $5.8 or we can retain a bit if necessary. Add Erne at ~$1.1M and we sign Stralman to a Coburn contract for $3.5M for a few years with a M-NTC same as Coburn. Cap will be at ~$80M by then. You have around the same numbers that I have ... give or take +/- $200k - $350k but we are within the range. So this imaginary cap crunch that has us giving up Palat or Killorn or Johnson ... we are sitting pretty good on the Cap.

I do have Strals for a few more years on the third pairing with Serg. Hedman with Foote. McDonagh with Cernak. Regardless, the team shown keeps just about everyone and I'm thinking it could even be a bit better than it is now. After that we can re-cycle maybe Gourde for some picks ... bring in Raddysh. Re-Cycle Killorn starting 20-21 and bring in Katchouk, etc. Johnson can be re-cycled in 21-22. Etc.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hose take off Callahan. He has a M-NTC starting this off-season. He'll submit his teams and he'll be gone ... that frees up his $5.8 or we can retain a bit if necessary. Add Erne at ~$1.1M and we sign Stralman to a Coburn contract for $3.5M for a few years with a M-NTC same as Coburn. Cap will be at ~$80M by then. You have around the same numbers that I have ... give or take +/- $200k - $350k but we are within the range. So this imaginary cap crunch that has us giving up Palat or Killorn or Johnson ... we are sitting pretty good on the Cap.

I do have Strals for a few more years on the third pairing with Serg. Hedman with Foote. McDonagh with Cernak. Regardless, the team shown keeps just about everyone and I'm thinking it could even be a bit better than it is now. After that we can re-cycle maybe Gourde for some picks ... bring in Raddysh. Re-Cycle Killorn starting 20-21 and bring in Katchouk, etc. Johnson can be re-cycled in 21-22. Etc.

You still have to ask Callahan to waive and ask for his list, no guarantee we do or he is willing. Retaining frees up some but if you have Erne at 1.1 and retained 2.9(50%) then you really only freed up 1.8mil which isn't much and not enough for Stralman at 3.5, which I can't see him taking. He can get 5 on the open market at least 4.5 again. I would only give him a 1 year deal as he's starting to show his age and don't want to commit to him more than that especially if we are to a 30 year old McDonagh already.

I also think we have to take a contract back or give something up to move him which isn't ideal. With a Johnson, Miller or Palat we can get that top 4 RD so we don't have to keep Stralman around and it allows Foote to develop slower like Sergachev is. If Cirelli keeps developing like he is, Jospeph, Stephens and the rest then we need more spots than just the 4th line. Would be better to fill some spots in the top 9 with them as they're cheap than having everyone in the top 9 making 3.5 or more. Someone besides Callahan will have to go in the next two years, ideally Killorn, which one it actually is is not so sure yet.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

No matter what by the time kucherovs extension kicks in Callahan will be moved or bought out for sure

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
You still have to ask Callahan to waive and ask for his list, no guarantee we do or he is willing. Retaining frees up some but if you have Erne at 1.1 and retained 2.9(50%) then you really only freed up 1.8mil which isn't much and not enough for Stralman at 3.5, which I can't see him taking. He can get 5 on the open market at least 4.5 again. I would only give him a 1 year deal as he's starting to show his age and don't want to commit to him more than that especially if we are to a 30 year old McDonagh already.

I also think we have to take a contract back or give something up to move him which isn't ideal. With a Johnson, Miller or Palat we can get that top 4 RD so we don't have to keep Stralman around and it allows Foote to develop slower like Sergachev is. If Cirelli keeps developing like he is, Jospeph, Stephens and the rest then we need more spots than just the 4th line. Would be better to fill some spots in the top 9 with them as they're cheap than having everyone in the top 9 making 3.5 or more. Someone besides Callahan will have to go in the next two years, ideally Killorn, which one it actually is is not so sure yet.
Yzerman asked flipper to waive he refused Toronto but accepted the Flyers

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Also we probably will have another expansion draft in two years to deal with again I’d bet Seattle gets approved to start in the league for the 2019-2020 season

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yzerman asked flipper to waive he refused Toronto but accepted the Flyers

Filpulla most likely waived because he still saw himself as a 2nd line center and wasn't gonna get that chance here. With Point emerging and Stamkos coming back he was either going to be 3C or stuck on LW with limited offensive opportunities. He's going to be looking for one more big deal and needed to showcase himself more. Callahan has come to except he's a 3rd or 4th liner and seems more than fine in that role. He also has to know he isn't getting more than a 1 year deal whenever he signs again as his big payday is over. He could still waive if asked but he will have a very short list of teams and those teams might not have cap or a need. We can't ship him to Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad