Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Is it a thing between Ranger fans to start talking **** about your players once they leave the team? I've seen so many of their fans saying Girardi, Miller and even McDonagh will be disappointments for us. Maybe I've just seen the wrong people's posts, I don't know.

Yeah, you've seen the wrong people post. Girardi took a lot of the blame. He became the scapegoat for a shitty defense structure, and because he didn't have the foot speed or stats to match other teams #1 D-men, his head was on the chopping block. Some fans called him the worst player in the NHL, and more importantly, on defense, but that was never the case. He was used in the wrong situations, and given too much minute crunching numbers against other teams top players. In a lesser role, he'd be fine. Holden is the same way, but our fan base crapped all over him like he was also the worst defensemen in the NHL. Trading him was obviously the right move, but unfairly got a lot of blame for how our coach used him.

McDonagh took a lot of blame because we're losing. Where is our captain to be found? Why isn't the team responding? Some fans soured on him because they don't think he's a good captain. For whatever reason, he wasn't in our future plane and was going to be our best shot at building prospects and picks for the future. We felt that if we paid him for 7/8 years, we'd just be wasting cap and not competing. McDonagh had ups and downs with us, had some injury, but was still a good defensemen and the guy we counted on the most.

JT Miller, well this one will depend on who you ask. Some people see untapped potential, some people see him as fully developed and what you see is what you get. He takes some dumb penalties and at times looks passionless, but when he's involved in the game and fully going, he's a pretty darn good player. Ranger fans are just tired of the inconsistency we have with too many players. Also, a guy like Namestnikov comes over to us and shows some great speed and flash - something we were lacking, so now you're going to hear about how Miller sucks, we got this great guy back instead.

It's the "Oh, they weren't doing much for us, they will probably suck for you". They're all decent/good players, just didn't fit right with what we're doing.

Reactions: JoVel

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yeah, you've seen the wrong people post. Girardi took a lot of the blame. He became the scapegoat for a ****ty defense structure, and because he didn't have the foot speed or stats to match other teams #1 D-men, his head was on the chopping block. Some fans called him the worst player in the NHL, and more importantly, on defense, but that was never the case. He was used in the wrong situations, and given too much minute crunching numbers against other teams top players. In a lesser role, he'd be fine. Holden is the same way, but our fan base crapped all over him like he was also the worst defensemen in the NHL. Trading him was obviously the right move, but unfairly got a lot of blame for how our coach used him.

McDonagh took a lot of blame because we're losing. Where is our captain to be found? Why isn't the team responding? Some fans soured on him because they don't think he's a good captain. For whatever reason, he wasn't in our future plane and was going to be our best shot at building prospects and picks for the future. We felt that if we paid him for 7/8 years, we'd just be wasting cap and not competing. McDonagh had ups and downs with us, had some injury, but was still a good defensemen and the guy we counted on the most.

JT Miller, well this one will depend on who you ask. Some people see untapped potential, some people see him as fully developed and what you see is what you get. He takes some dumb penalties and at times looks passionless, but when he's involved in the game and fully going, he's a pretty darn good player. Ranger fans are just tired of the inconsistency we have with too many players. Also, a guy like Namestnikov comes over to us and shows some great speed and flash - something we were lacking, so now you're going to hear about how Miller sucks, we got this great guy back instead.

It's the "Oh, they weren't doing much for us, they will probably suck for you". They're all decent/good players, just didn't fit right with what we're doing.
Per usual, I've been keeping up with a few threads on your board and I'm more than a little shocked at the seeming indifference towards McDonagh.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Per usual, I've been keeping up with a few threads on your board and I'm more than a little shocked at the seeming indifference towards McDonagh.

As someone who feels that indifference, it's unexplainable, really.
I was sadder to see Nash go. I don't know what it is.

With that, McDonagh is a beast. Ya'll will see how underrated he is. Miller, not a fan. He has great tools but a questionable toolbox and a questionable attitude.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Is it a thing between Ranger fans to start talking **** about your players once they leave the team? I've seen so many of their fans saying Girardi, Miller and even McDonagh will be disappointments for us. Maybe I've just seen the wrong people's posts, I don't know.

Girardi was legit a bad player for us and almost no one on our board liked him when he was here. Miller had his fair share of detractors BEFORE being traded. And I read about half of our 2,000+ post thread on the trade on McDonagh and the worst things I've seen written was that he's a #1 defenseman who is not elite and isn't top 10, more like top 20. I don't believe most people on our board thought differently before the trade. In fact McDonagh was criticized more than most over the last few years and I was surprised that outside of maybe one poster that I can remember he was largely well respected at worst and praised at best in that thread. In the meantime all I read in that thread was how you guys didn't think much of Vlad or any of the pieces in the trade. In fact people were going crazy about how none of you guys posted how you'll miss any of the players.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Like 70% of that thread was freaking out about how Gorton got hosed in the trade. Not sure what you were reading. The only indifference came from the fact that most people made peace with the trade and were hoping for a rebuild.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Girardi was legit a bad player for us and almost no one on our board liked him when he was here. Miller had his fair share of detractors BEFORE being traded. And I read about half of our 2,000+ post thread on the trade on McDonagh and the worst things I've seen written was that he's a #1 defenseman who is not elite and isn't top 10, more like top 20. I don't believe most people on our board thought differently before the trade. In fact McDonagh was criticized more than most over the last few years and I was surprised that outside of maybe one poster that I can remember he was largely well respected at worst and praised at best in that thread. In the meantime all I read in that thread was how you guys didn't think much of Vlad or any of the pieces in the trade. In fact people were going crazy about how none of you guys posted how you'll miss any of the players.

It isn’t that we don’t think much of Vlad. It’s that compared to some other players on our roster he was never that important to our success. He’s a role player on a cup contender. But on a rebuilding team like NY he could be a real nice player for you guys. Maybe all he needs is that fair shake in the top six and more consistent time there. Some guys just need a change in a scenery. Girardi has been a nice player for us while he struggled for you guys. It just works that way sometimes.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I suspect coaching was the culprit. Lets see how he finishes the season.
Could be, although I'd be inclined to disagree. I am a stark Vigneault criric, but from what I've heard (and what Larry Brooks implied in a recent article), Miller is not easy to deal with. He's got a lot of natural talent, though. Slick playmaker.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It isn’t that we don’t think much of Vlad. It’s that compared to some other players on our roster he was never that important to our success. He’s a role player on a cup contender. But on a rebuilding team like NY he could be a real nice player for you guys. Maybe all he needs is that fair shake in the top six and more consistent time there. Some guys just need a change in a scenery. Girardi has been a nice player for us while he struggled for you guys. It just works that way sometimes.

And that's fair. But my point is people will see what they want to see. Like the poster I quoted all he sees is Rangers fans shitting on Girardi, Miller, and McDonagh. Well, first of all Rangers fans almost universally hated Girardi (on HF, not the mouth breathers that frequent the Rangers page on Facebook), so this was not a hindsight thing. Miller is liked by some and hated by many others. As per usual the ones that hate a player are louder than the ones that like a player. However, in the trade thread most people were ok with the trade if Miller and Vlad weren't a part of it. THAT was the biggest issue that most people had with the trade. So, even the hate that he got from some people were balanced out by a lot of people. And as I said McDonagh's criticism was almost exclusively about him not being being elite or top 10 but still being a very good #1 defenseman. I bet if I polled this board last Sunday that would be the consensus here too, hell it still might be. Meanwhile on our board fans that hated the trade also only saw what they wanted to see. All I read was how no one on this board cared about the players or prospects included in the trade. While reading this thread it's obviously not true.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
On Girardi, a lot of our fans were never a fan of him even while he was here. It's not because we got rid of him that we started talking s*** when he was bought out most were rejoicing. Idk how hes been for you guys but the reduced role (I assume he's had) has probably helped
Miller was always a very divisive player amongst fans. One game he would make amazing plays (like his pass last night) and the next he looks like has no idea what he was doing.
And on McD, I don't get why any fan would talk bad about him, the guy was a warrior and probably our best Defenseman since Leetch. He will def prove any fans talking bad about him 100% wrong in Tampa I believe that. For McD you prob just saw some idiots post

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Given SFY MO I would guess he offers what he thinks is the right contract, and sticks to that. 3 or 4 year bridge deal @4.5m
Miller is like 25 right? He's not going to want a bridge deal. He's going to want a minimum 6 year deal.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Also - my guess is he let's Miller go to arbitration and lives with the one year deal awarded, then let's him walk in the off-season as a ufa. We can afford him for a year, but beyond that we have to use more ELCs.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Yeah I don't see Miller being a long term player here unless he's willing to take a sick discount to stick on a contending team.

I like what he brings, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad